Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#18151 by Wilsonium
Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:05 am
I'm working on a wall bracket to mount the scout securely to a wall at an appropriate angle. I'm using a CNC machine and aluminum for prototyping and will probably use same for any production.

If there's enough interest I will consider short production runs so people can have a mounting solution that doesn't involve any duct tape. I'm hoping to keep costs low but volume will dictate pricing.

So... if you are interested please reply and let me know.
#18299 by Wilsonium
Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:39 pm
A mounting solution for the hub would involve a more complex mount since there aren't any real ways to secure it from behind without drilling into the case. The bracket for the scout so far does not modify the scout's enclosure. A mod-free solution for the hub would need pockets at the corners to secure it. That said, I may work on that next.

Cheers
Don
#18717 by Wilsonium
Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:09 am
OK... it looks like I can short-run these brackets for about $8.00 each unless we can get volume for larger runs. Is anyone interested in a wall mount bracket for their scouts?

Cheers
Don
#18840 by Wilsonium
Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:29 am
I do not have it in my hot hands yet as the first short run of 10 is almost $80 of time at the machine shop. Before I moved forward I was trying to get a fix on if anyone was interested in buying them if they were less than $10. The first prototype I made was in heavy construction paper and as proof of concept, was successful.

So I'm in a chicken or egg situation. Dropping $80 for my 2 scouts and maybe a couple others is something I need to consider but I'm looking for other manufacturing alternatives.

Cheers
Don
#19278 by just4fn
Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:27 pm
There is an alternative to the scout wall mount:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=963

This cost is about .79 cents. The angle is flat against the wall and takes about a minute to put up.
#19282 by southsound
Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:20 pm
just4fn wrote:There is an alternative to the scout wall mount:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=963

This cost is about .79 cents. The angle is flat against the wall and takes about a minute to put up.

If you scroll down in the referenced thread you will find an example of mounting data hardware in an upside-down manner with the obvious result of losing packets. I have been working with an engineer to devise a way to harvest the spillage of 0's and 1's and I think we will have a working prototype available by later this year. We are already able to collect the overflow of data from the down-facing ports but we still need an algorithm that will sort the data and reintegrate it into the system. I have also spent a great deal of time working with the EnergyStar people and think that possibly we can receive a "green" grant for the project. Just think of all the needless 1's and 0's that are wasted every day. Left unchecked, I think we will all rue the day that we run out of this essential resource. :razz:
#19286 by just4fn
Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:49 pm
maybe there could be sort of a fuel tank and when all the 1 and 0's are almost gone he could see it and fill it back up. I heard there is an alternative source which are 2 and 4's but are in the experimental stage. They will not spill out at the same rate when turned upside down.
#19298 by niknak
Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:00 am
All you need to do is reduce the jitter to 0% and then you can mount the hub in any position No bits will be lost, unless the unit is subject to a mangnitude 4 or greater earthquake