Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#17709 by oomg
Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:53 pm
Groundhound wrote:$4.99/month

And after trying one for a month or two, this is one area where ooma can improve. I had some difficulty getting the lines to be completely segregated even though the "third line" was assigned to a separate Scout.

IMHO, it may be a better choice to get a second system.
Last edited by oomg on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#17710 by murphy
Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:56 pm
No matter how many numbers you have only two calls can be active at the same time since there are only two physical lines.
#17712 by jimc28352
Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:07 pm
murphy wrote:No matter how many numbers you have only two calls can be active at the same time since there are only two physical lines.

So. if both lines are being used at the same time, will call waiting or 3 way calling still work?
#17715 by murphy
Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:13 pm
No, the third call will go to voice mail.
#17719 by jimc28352
Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:39 pm
murphy wrote:No, the third call will go to voice mail.

I just assigned my 2nd number to my scout. When I call it, it goes straight to voicemail. When I call the primary number, the phones connected to the private scout still ring
#17720 by WayneDsr
Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:44 pm
There is an issue with some Scout serial numbers.
First, make sure you entered the right serial number when you assigned your number to the Scout.
If you did, you may have to call Customer Support and double check it. Some Scouts have been mis-labeled at the factory and won't work when you assign a number.

Wayne
#17738 by doug
Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:46 pm
jimc28352 wrote:So. if both lines are being used at the same time, will call waiting or 3 way calling still work?

As others have noted, you can have a maximum of two conversations happening at once (assuming a single hub or Telo system). While premier does support up to 10 phone numbers, the primary purpose for them (IMHO) would be to provide a phone number which is local to another area so people in that area can call you toll free.

Historically, often businesses will opt to have a local phone number in nearby communities so residents of those communities can call without having to use a 8xx number and appear to have a local presence. This gives us the ability to do the same thing with residential usage, but at a much more affordable rate.

It is good alternative if you have a bunch of relatives in a single area, or even a single relative who would like to call you regularly. You can already call them toll-free; this allows them to call you toll free and without a 8xx number and per minute usage.

I use one for another reason. I have one out-of-state client who I talk to regularly. They have enough voice traffic that they use (voice) T1's that bypass the CLEC and go straight to their long distance provider. Unfortunately, it does not include a PRI interface which is what would normally carry the caller ID information on outbound calls. (The majority of the traffic is incoming calls.) Because the calls are not routed through the LEC, and there is no PRI channel, there is no caller ID sent on outbound calls. Neither a number or name is available.

By adding a number to my hub which is in their local calling area, they not only can call me free, but the calls get routed through their CLEC instead of the LD provider and I get caller ID on their phone calls. It is the first I have had that in over a decade. This makes my call logs in the lounge that much more useful to me.

If the intent of adding more phone numbers is to be able to have more concurrent calls, then you should instead consider additional systems.

For example, if you wanted 4 phone numbers, it would cost an extra $9.98 per month on top of the $100 premier cost. If you instead bought a second system with premier, the monthly cost would be roughly the same (actually $20/year less) but you would have the ability to do up to 4 concurrent calls.

Either way, each number can have its own voicemail and independent options for things like multi-ring, call forward on internet outage, etc.

So IMHO it all comes down to how you want to use the additional phone number(s).