Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#907 by hoj
Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:58 pm
trim81 wrote:Question, with the Ooma Telo, will I still need an OOma hub?

For the price of $250 for the Telo (source found here), http://www.gadgetvenue.com/ooma-telo-fr ... -11132509/, isnt $250 the exact same price as an Ooma hub?

If no Ooma Hub is needed, one is better off straight buying an Ooma Telo.

Is my logic flawed?

The website says that it is for ooma to ooma calls. That doesn't make it sound like it can replace the ooma hub.
#908 by trim81
Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:03 pm
hoj wrote:
trim81 wrote:Question, with the Ooma Telo, will I still need an OOma hub?

For the price of $250 for the Telo (source found here), http://www.gadgetvenue.com/ooma-telo-fr ... -11132509/, isnt $250 the exact same price as an Ooma hub?

If no Ooma Hub is needed, one is better off straight buying an Ooma Telo.

Is my logic flawed?

The website says that it is for ooma to ooma calls. That doesn't make it sound like it can replace the ooma hub.

Interesting, but for the price tag of $250, and the ability to ONLY make Ooma to Ooma calls, wouldnt you rather be off with free US calling (traditional Ooma system) fior $250?

Maybe Ooma team can clarify what this new device actually does
#911 by corbinzak
Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:21 pm
Article states that HD voice would only be available between Telo devices and one would receive a cordless phone with the system. The system would still be free calling to US. This is my understanding of the article
#917 by Tangaroa
Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:12 pm
It looks like the Telo will take the place of both the Ooma hub and scout- the base unit is essentially a Ooma hub, and the cordless handsets will fill in for the Ooma scout (enabling access to features like instant second line with multiple handsets/subscription to Ooma premier I'd imagine) or the Telo should still maintain interoperability with Ooma scouts for corded handsets.

I would also think (hope) it should be possible for the features like mobile transfer, or HD call quality between Ooma subscribers could be rolled out to existing Ooma hubs through a software update.
#960 by Dennis P
Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:20 am
Tangaroa, you're pretty much spot on. A couple of clarifications:

- current generation of ooma Scouts will not be compatible with the new ooma telo
- features will be supported on both platforms as much as possible, although HD will not work on the current Hub because of hardware limitations (not to mention that most phones are band-limited, which means ooma has to build the phone to enable HD)