Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#19770 by jstjohnz
Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:40 pm
hogdoc wrote:Mcbleu,

a PBX gives you a lot more features and flexability. For example, you can program what lines will ring on what extentions at certain times, Different ring pattern for each line, central CID so all phones share the same info and can returns calls from CID, Voicemail notification on each line, can integrate a voice mail box if you want, but pricey. You can intergrate a FAX line so that you can also use it for voice when the fax is not used. A neat trick for free/low international calls from your cell is to call the PBX and get the other line which you make an outgoing call on your international line(you conference yourself with 2 lines from the pbx). The basic unit comes with 3 lines all with CID and 8 extention ports. You can also add doorphones and door openers so you can answer or open a door from your phone!

I am trying to figure out how to use ooma with my Panasonic KXT multi-line system. Is there a way to configure the 2 ooma lines to act like a standard telco hunt group? In other words I want incoming calls to ring on line 1 if it's not in use, otherwise ring in on line 2.

I am able to do this with vonage, but haven't found any other voip providers who can do this. Not sure yet re ooma, but figured it was worth a try.

Also, would be nice if all VM went to line 1. And is there any way to get a normal dial tine???
#19838 by davidmstudio
Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:11 am
It can't be used for business of any level. Very incompatible with office machines, FAX, security systems...there is no guarantee.

I would still stick to the more traditional line as the ooma system isn't ready for prime time work.
#19848 by southsound
Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:51 am
davidmstudio wrote:It can't be used for business of any level. Very incompatible with office machines, FAX, security systems...there is no guarantee.

I would still stick to the more traditional line as the ooma system isn't ready for prime time work.

David,
It seems like you are pretty unhappy with your ooma - but the only posts you have made are the ones quoted. To answer the first quote, the OP was asking for a high-quality "business grade" phone to use with the system. His reasoning was he wanted to have the great speakerphone capabilty that normally is a part of these phones. Your comment that ooma is incompatible with office machines, FAX, security systems is just not correct. There may be some issues with specific situations, but many of us users are doing what you claim cannot be done. If you have a specific need, please post them here and we'll try to help.

davidmstudio wrote:Its a real chaotic mess using the ooma...I'm sad about buying an ooma. I was better off with the regular phone lines. At least the customer/tech service was better.

ooma offers a 30-day moneyback guarantee. If you are unhappy all you need to do is return your unit for a refund, then you can continue to pay big dollars for your regular phone line. Of interest, my ooma system has been down for a total of about 16 hours in the past 7 months. My wonderful Qwest landline has been down for 5 days in the same period. I'll keep my ooma, thanks. I've been having great quality calls for free. I did have some problems in the first couple of weeks, but ooma support and the folks on this forum helped greatly. Overall my experience has been excellent - and the awesome people on this forum are a great part of that experience.

In case you are curious, I DO NOT WORK for ooma. I'm just a very satisfied customer / forum contributor. :cool:
#19852 by hpepper
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:03 am
I use Ooma with a small business Avaya Partner phone system - not a business setting... I just use it in my home. I was utilizing the hub to line one of the system and the Scout to line two. My Partner system also has voicemail buiilt in. If either call rings, I can have my Partner voicemail pick it up by setting the Ooma voicemail to maximum rings. I have all calls on eeither line go into one voicemail box. I also had a Dect 6 Uniden double cordless phone plugged into the Partner system (The partner system accepts Partner phones as well as analog phones.) It works well.

I have since stated using Ooma voicemail since it has the email feature as well as some other nice features I like.
#19872 by mcbleu
Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:10 am
davidmstudio wrote:It can't be used for business of any level. Very incompatible with office machines, FAX, security systems...there is no guarantee.

Why are you giving misleading information ?

Many user have successfully used ooma with Fax and Security System

I'm using ooma in a business environment and I'm very very happy
I wish they endorsed business usage so I could switch all my phone lines to ooma

I tested successfully fax on ooma using the direction and troubleshooting you can find here on the forum but I'm keeping my dedicated fax line.

I love the Email voice mail feature. perfect for archiving or forwarding important voice mail.
#20243 by hogdoc
Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:14 pm
jstjohnz,

Call hunting is a feature of the telco provider and not your PBX. I know that if you are a premier member, you have two lines and you can plug the hub into CO1 and the scout into CO2. Now when CO1 is in use you can use CO2 and vice versa. If you have only one telephone # with Ooma and on a call the Call waiting will kick in and not ring line 2. I have not seen a way in the Ooma lounge to turn off call waiting and busy line be routed line 2. Maybe in the future. I currently have 2 seperate numbers and with Ooma. Each has thier own mailbox that flashes the message light on all phones with the KX-TA824. The system does has call forwarding to another extension or to another phone line if the extension ( not the line) is busy. This system is very compatable with business lines, Vonage, Cable phones, Majic jack and POTS all the same time. Yes, I have had all of these running the same time but just dropped the cable for Ooma. Vonage is getting the axe in January. I also have my cell connected via bluetooth to Phone labs adapter that connects to the PBX. Just put the cell on the charger and it connects to all phones as a spertate line. Hope that helps.
#20246 by niknak
Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:15 pm
hogdoc wrote:jstjohnz,

Call hunting is a feature of the telco provider and not your PBX....

The 3Com NBX VOIP system I used had "Hunt Groups" configurable through the interface
#20352 by hogdoc
Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:18 pm
VOIP,

hence the difference as VOIP based systems can have multiple options that will change how the calls are handled by the VOIP provider. The KXTA systems and all analog systems do not communicate with the telephone provider and only look for an active dial tone. VOIP based systems have a lot of flexability based on the VOIP provider has to offer.
#44673 by gullybr
Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:32 pm
murphy wrote:Search eBay or Google for 9417CW.
I have three of them.
They are branded Aastra, Nortel, and Sprint but they are the same 2 line desk phone.

All three are connected to my two ooma lines.

Murphy, does this phone work well? I found this topic as I too am looking for a good single office phone. I really don't care how many lines it has, but I want it to have a very good speakerphone, and good compatability with Ooma, and good compatability with Ooma, and good compatability with a Plantronics headset. I'm guessing if it's a nice business phone, then the headset will work fine. can you speak to the speakerphone and Ooma functionality? thanks, as I have a friend that has a brand new Aastra 9417cw he will sell me for a good price.
#44686 by murphy
Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:34 am
gullybr wrote:
murphy wrote:Search eBay or Google for 9417CW.
I have three of them.
They are branded Aastra, Nortel, and Sprint but they are the same 2 line desk phone.

All three are connected to my two ooma lines.

Murphy, does this phone work well? I found this topic as I too am looking for a good single office phone. I really don't care how many lines it has, but I want it to have a very good speakerphone, and good compatability with Ooma, and good compatability with Ooma, and good compatability with a Plantronics headset. I'm guessing if it's a nice business phone, then the headset will work fine. can you speak to the speakerphone and Ooma functionality? thanks, as I have a friend that has a brand new Aastra 9417cw he will sell me for a good price.

I don't use the speakerphone, or any speakerphone for that matter, so I can't comment on how well that it works.
The message waiting light works with my Ooma hub.
The handset is connected using a cable that uses the narrower phone connector that has a maximum of 4 wires. The standard phone connector has room for 6 wires but usually only the center 4 are used. I guess that is how your headset would hook to the phone.
I have a hub and a scout with two phone numbers and the second number is locked to the scout. The hub feeds line 1 and the scout feeds line 2. If you only intend to use one phone line with it, you would have to connect the phone line to both lines of the phone. Otherwise the display would constantly be telling you the line 2 was disconnected.
It's AC powered with the longest cord that I have ever seen on a wall wart power supply. If power fails it works as a dumb single line phone on line 1 but that wouldn't matter unless you have Ooma and your modem, router, etc connected to an UPS.