Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#16643 by billtvt
Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:50 pm
I just got my Google voice number- I'm curious to know more about the google voice extension feature and just how people would use the two services together.
#16652 by southsound
Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:26 pm
billtvt wrote:I just got my Google voice number- I'm curious to know more about the google voice extension feature and just how people would use the two services together.

The best information we have is from Dennis Peng on the ooma blog back in March. Most of us expect the roll-out of Premier Extensions for Google Voice to happen concurent with the redesign of the Lounge some time in September.
Dennis Peng in the ooma blog wrote:With ooma Premier’s Google Voice Extensions, we can automatically show your Google Voice caller-ID when you make a call, no need to use the web site or call into Google Voice just to do that. You can also check your Google Voice messages with a touch of a button, just like using an answering machine. And with ooma, you don’t need to pick up your phone to hear who is calling. We’ll play the announcement and message over the speaker for you - pick up the phone only if you really want to answer. Finally, if you don’t want to go through the hassle of switching to yet another new phone number, use your existing ooma number (or port your number to ooma) and we’ll forward it to Google Voice.
#16704 by billtvt
Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:21 am
How would the extension be different from porting my Google voice number? When I plugged in my Google Voice number to ooma to see if it could be ported, the reply was "yes". I did not proceed, so perhaps it would not have worked... just curious
#16706 by Groundhound
Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:31 am
billtvt wrote:How would the extension be different from porting my Google voice number? When I plugged in my Google Voice number to ooma to see if it could be ported, the reply was "yes". I did not proceed, so perhaps it would not have worked... just curious

Porting your GV number to Ooma, assuming that's possible, will close your GV account.
#16708 by billtvt
Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:38 am
Ok- that explains it well! I will be on the lookout for the extension!

Thanks