Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#16620 by geniv
Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:30 pm
excuse my ignorance here I just got the ooma working yesterday and I got a few questions for you guys. (one line only and no premium services)

The way I have it hooked up (I use Optimum Online + Boost for my ISP 30mb download/5mb upload)

Cable Modem -> ooma -> netgear router -> rest of my computers and wireless devices.

1) how much bandwidth do the Ooma suck up on average for you guys?
on: http://speedtest.net/
I usually get 30.xx mb download / 5.xx mb upload test speed. with the OOMba installed I get about 27mb / 5.xx mb. Kinda strange that it sucks up 3mb of download bandwith and I"m not even on the phone.

I did another test right after. I'm using the ooma phone and my speed test went to crap 6.3mb/0.12mb down/up ?!

after I hung up it went back to around 27mb/5mb..

that's pretty horrible..

2) My router does not have QoS setting.. with my current hookup will I be able to send/recieve faxes without any problem?

3) when I use to hook my router to the cable modem. I occasionally change the mac of the router (via router settings) and was able to automatically get a new IP address assigned from my ISP. I can't do that now with the oomba hooked up to the modem. is there a way for me to change the MAC of the oomba so I can have my ISP assign me new IP address?
#16626 by Gaelic1
Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:49 pm
I noticed a decided drop in my speed on AT&T DSL. I pay for 3.Gbps and was getting only 1.7. This was after dry looping my DSL. I checked the DSL speed with the AT&T speed test while hooked up to Ooma and also direct from modem to computer. The speed didn't vary at all so it wasn't Ooma. I then took Ooma out of the loop and checked both my computers through my router. Still no difference. I made a number of Calls to AT&T support and they said the line to my home was okay.
Two days later, I ran the speed test again with everything hooked up and was getting 2.5-2.7 Gbps which is right where I should be. Was it the dry loop or Ooma? Who knows, but I'd put my money on AT&T.
I hope this clears up some of the slowdown some have been experiencing.
#16644 by but2002
Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:54 pm
Gaelic1 wrote:I noticed a decided drop in my speed on AT&T DSL. I pay for 3.Gbps and was getting only 1.7. This was after dry looping my DSL. I checked the DSL speed with the AT&T speed test while hooked up to Ooma and also direct from modem to computer. The speed didn't vary at all so it wasn't Ooma. I then took Ooma out of the loop and checked both my computers through my router. Still no difference. I made a number of Calls to AT&T support and they said the line to my home was okay.
Two days later, I ran the speed test again with everything hooked up and was getting 2.5-2.7 Gbps which is right where I should be. Was it the dry loop or Ooma? Who knows, but I'd put my money on AT&T.
I hope this clears up some of the slowdown some have been experiencing.

DSL service has to do what's called a "ramp" When you got switched to Dry-Loop they set you to a new DSLAM server I believe, and it had to "ramp" your connection to test the integrity of the line (Like every two days, if your connection is stable it will increase the speed up until you reach your appointed speed)
#16709 by atici
Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:38 am
geniv wrote:Cable Modem -> ooma -> netgear router -> rest of my computers and wireless devices.

I did another test right after. I'm using the ooma phone and my speed test went to crap 6.3mb/0.12mb down/up ?!

after I hung up it went back to around 27mb/5mb..

This (severe bandwidth loss during a call) is a known problem with ooma QoS. The only solution seems to be moving ooma after the router: modem -> router -> ooma

However if you set it up this way (and if your router doesn't have QoS), there is a likelihood that your ooma conversations may encounter problems during high network load. To prevent this you may need a router with outgoing packet prioritization.
#16710 by Groundhound
Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:07 am
This is the major disadvantage of having the hub before your router and using the hub's QoS. See this thread: http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1897

The advantage is that the hub's QoS is conditional, only stepping in during a call. For users with highly variable cable Internet speeds (Powerboost) this is important and the reason some – including me – tolerate the hub's severe bandwidth reduction during calls so we get full performance when a call is not in progress.
#16716 by av8rdude
Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:53 am
geniv wrote:3) when I use to hook my router to the cable modem. I occasionally change the mac of the router (via router settings) and was able to automatically get a new IP address assigned from my ISP. I can't do that now with the oomba hooked up to the modem. is there a way for me to change the MAC of the oomba so I can have my ISP assign me new IP address?

Right on the Network Tab of the ooma setup is the MAC address settings. I guess you could change those and save them...

The QoS settings for the ooma can be tweaked to get full speed when not in a call. And almost full speed during a call. There have been many long discussion about QoS on the forum. Do a search for it.
Cheers,
Scott
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Network Tab:
Capture.JPG (41.32 KiB) Viewed 5218 times