Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#18926 by southsound
Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:23 pm
Nathan,

Sorry that you got on the tail end of a discussion that went on forever but really did have a good conclusion. Dennis Peng, ooma's Vice President of Product Management responded to this problem in another thread. Here is his response:
Dennis P wrote:Our relationships with our customers are of the utmost importance to us and we recognize that clarity regarding our programs and promotions are very important to building trust. In response to your posting, we have ensured that the expiration date is now clearly posted on the Costco.com site. We apologize for not making the expiration date more clear and hopefully, we have remedied this.

We chose the 90-day expiration date since the majority of our customers that have selected the $50 international credit use it within 90 days. Your feedback regarding the desire to have additional time to use the credit is appreciated. In response, we have extended the expiration of credits for this promotion from 90 days to 6 months. We hope that this provides ample time to make use of the credits.
#18931 by Lola
Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:40 pm
nathan wrote:Here is the jist of the email I sent to CSR via their web,
I got my ooma service via costco's $50 international calling promotion on July 18, 2009. To my surprise today reading the forums I found out this is only good for 90 days. That is not right and I think ooma needs to extend the date of expiration - Please! I love this service and product and can't have an ethical issue like this prevent me from fully appreciating it. But more importantly I checked the lounge and my credits are poof! gone! I had used all of $5 dollars and it has only been little more than a month so first please get me my 90 days trial as promised and then please extend it for at least a year!

Please let us know what happened to your credit. I also just noticed my credit just disappeared, purchased on 7/20, so less than 2 months. I had used about $7 of it. Weird.
#18935 by mikepa
Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:23 am
Nice reply Nathan, you echoed my feelings entirely and fortunately you managed to avoid the use of the "partner" word which as you probably read apparently has special meaning on this forum. :)

Dennis Peng, ooma's Vice President's comments about all users who selected the $50 int'l credit using it up may have been correct for their previous promotion where the user selected what offer they wanted. But with the current offer there is no selection - everyone gets $50 int'l credit and I seriously doubt that everyone will use up the $50 credit in 90 days or 180 days for that matter.

Ooma at the very least should show the expiration date of the credits on the international account page in the lounge. This will warn people these credits are but a pale representation of purchased credits for most folks and you will be losing them soon unless you use them quick. They could even offer suggestions on how to use them such as calling up some random person in Tahiti (689) 603 ??? to ask about the latest style in Polynesian cooking.
#18945 by nathan
Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:44 am
I got my credits put back on the account! This must have been the quickest turn around I have ever seen, I mean I did the forum post, sent them the email last night and this morning it was there. I haven't heard back from ooma on the actual email but it is a good start that they got the credit on there. Now I assume this is for 6 months since that is not official, unless a post in the forums by a VP can be construed as being official as far as ooma is concerned. Like most of you have said I think having an expiration date on the lounge is still a very important feature to have and honestly could have avoided a lot of the confusion. I hope they implement that with all the website changes that is due to come in Sept.

@southsound - That is good news about the response, it is good to know that they take customer concerns seriously. I would have liked at least a year but 6 months is definitely better than 90 days if they actually come through with it.

@Lola - The credit was reapplied! Did you send them an email? That did the trick for me. That or all the posts here!

@mikepa - Thanks for all your comments in the forum as well. I agree the "partner" business was getting a little distracting and it seemed it was taking the focus away from the issue at hand.

I am now more convinced than ever (especially through this forum) that when groups of people especially customers stick together and present a unified voice any customer centric company will have but no choice to address the issue. I am very glad the way this turned out and glad to have such active group of individuals who enjoy and care about this service. I think the future looks bright for us all with ooma. Now when is this Telo coming out :-)

-Nathan
#18948 by Lola
Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:17 am
nathan wrote:@Lola - The credit was reapplied! Did you send them an email? That did the trick for me. That or all the posts here!

credit is back too. though honestly it might never have disappeared, last night it was displaying "not available" vs "zero", so it mightve been smething technical.

The way the costco ad reads now it looks like you can keep calling and getting an extension on the expiration date, which is good for me cause ill probably need closer to 9-10 months to deplete the credit.

At this point I am not concerned about the credit for myself, more about any backlash and bad feedback caused by the thousands that purchased this unit and are not following the forums and have no idea that the credit will expire. I would think the majority have no idea about the expiration. I am more concerned about how this will affect the future of the unit that I made an investment in buying. ooma doesnt need bad press, as its a new company.
#18951 by dr150
Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:52 am
Lola wrote:
nathan wrote:@Lola - The credit was reapplied! Did you send them an email? That did the trick for me. That or all the posts here!

credit is back too. though honestly it might never have disappeared, last night it was displaying "not available" vs "zero", so it mightve been smething technical.

The way the Costco ad reads now it looks like you can keep calling and getting an extension on the expiration date, which is good for me cause ill probably need closer to 9-10 months to deplete the credit.......

I'm with you on this one.

6 months isn't nearly enough time to use up the $50. Ooma should have increased to NO EXPIRY or at least a year with renewals.

The jury is still out whether they'll abide to extensions by calling them every 3 months until credits are used. It's a hassle.....and not very customer friendly.........banking on that customers will forget and/or lose interest in the longer term.

That's why it's important to have screen shots of the Costco terms and what has been said when running into the eventual proverbial wall with Ooma Customer Service.

The battle ain't over until all of or credits are used up from this deal....
#18959 by oomg
Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14 am
dr150 wrote:
Lola wrote:

The way the Costco ad reads now it looks like you can keep calling and getting an extension on the expiration date, which is good for me cause ill probably need closer to 9-10 months to deplete the credit.......

I'm with you on this one.

6 months isn't nearly enough time to use up the $50. Ooma should have increased to NO EXPIRY or at least a year with renewals.

The jury is still out whether they'll abide to extensions by calling them every 3 months until credits are used. It's a hassle.....and not very customer friendly.........banking on that customers will forget and/or lose interest in the longer term.

That's why it's important to have screen shots of the Costco terms and what has been said when running into the eventual proverbial wall with Ooma Customer Service.

The battle ain't over until all of or credits are used up from this deal....

From page 8 of this thread:
oomg wrote:
thbjr wrote:Image

'nuf said?

well... maybe for another three months.

Just goes to show that even I can be wrong... my prediction of three months was grossly overstated. Thanks Doc... you have reaffirmed my faith in mankind.

FWIW, MY OPINION re: the credit expiration issue:
Back on page 2 of this thread I stated:
"Having said all that [regarding the Ohio statute -- ORC § 1349.61. Gift card expiration dates, service charges, and fees], and while I personally agree that the terms are not deceptive, I think there may be a legitimate question as to why have any expiration date at all. O.K., chances are few people will ever use the full credit, but then again, those same people will likely never use the credit at all, and thus, the promotion is probably not attractive to these purchasers. The bad P.R. and/or the returned item that must thereafter be sold as a used or refurbished item, even if it only affects a small percentage of purchasers, would [once again IMHO] seem to outweigh the benefit of having the relatively short termination date."

Now, except for Doc and those who may have purchased before the Costco full disclosure was issued, do we agree that any purchaser who has purchased after the issue was clarified is subject to a six month expiration of the international calling credit?
#18961 by oomg
Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:24 am
mikepa wrote:Nice reply Nathan, you echoed my feelings entirely and fortunately you managed to avoid the use of the "partner" word which as you probably read apparently has special meaning on this forum. :)

"...the 'partner' word... apparently has special meaning on this forum."

only for mikepa and others that like to attempt to invoke nonexistent legal principles to justify their position.

mikepa: The word "partner" has a special meaning... in life and in law. And the legal definition is not unique to your state (Florida)... as a legal concept the same (or very similar definition) exists in every state. Even the dictionary to which you retreated confers a similar meaning in the business context (e.g. as opposed to a "dance partner").
#18965 by Bobby B
Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:39 am
You are right -- there was an upgrade problem yesterday that caused the prepaid account balance to show as "Not available" on the web page.

Lola wrote:credit is back too. though honestly it might never have disappeared, last night it was displaying "not available" vs "zero", so it mightve been smething technical.
#18998 by mikepa
Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:19 am
The Costco site now says credit good for 180 days and extensions are available ... getting there.

"*Credit applied to customer Ooma account and expires after 180 days. If the credit has not been depleted prior to expiration date, please contact Ooma for extension."