Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#17610 by mikepa
Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:29 am
bw1 wrote:It's not bait and switch. They didn't call you up and say "Sorry we don't have the Ooma available anymore, but we'll sign you up for Vonage for the low price of only $24.99 per month."

Bait and switch is advertising something that you do not have available (or do not have sufficient quantities available) in the hope that customers will purchase another product instead. Costco advertised one thing and is selling another. In this case, the switch happened after the sale.

Regardless of what you want to call it (and you can call it a genuine mistake if you want) Costo is advertising a product that they can not deliver. They are now doing so knowingly since they have been advised on the problem by several parties and have acknowledged (at least to me) several days ago that the web site needs updating, yet it still remains the same today. You can bet if the price was incorrect, they would have fixed that immediately.

Would have been nice if some Ooma representative could have chimed in here to state why Ooma was not doing the right thing for those who request it.

Thankfully a solution has been found as mentioned above, so everyone has the opportunity to make things right.
#17615 by oomg
Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:55 am
mikepa wrote:J&R has the Ooma Hub & Scout for $189. This is $50 less than Costco's price with free shipping and no tax unless you're in NY.

I'd rather have the $50 in cash - I know that never expires, plus I save the $13.74 tax!

(Yes, you lose the 4 extra months of Ooma Premiere, but frankly I wasn't that enthusiastic about the premiere extras anyway - Google voice gives you many of the capabilities for free.)

And the $50 int'l calling credit has little, if any, value to many others. As for those for whom it is a significant incentive, they would likely use most of it, or at least a substantial portion within the 90 day period.

BTW, how much of the credit did you use prior to retruning the product?
#17618 by mikepa
Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:11 am
oomg wrote:And the $50 int'l calling credit has little, if any, value to many others. As for those for whom it is a significant incentive, they would likely use most of it, or at least a substantial portion within the 90 day period.

You're right that for many people the credit is valueless unless they want to call someone randomly in Australia and ask how the weather is.

But for the rest, where may be it was the reason they bought from Costo, unless you're calling a real expensive country (there are a few) you would have to work hard to use up the $50. If you're calling Europe you would have to call for 30 minutes a day, every day, to use up the credit which isn't really reasonable is it?

I have used no international minutes and do not plan on using any before retuning.
#17623 by oomg
Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:22 am
mikepa wrote:
oomg wrote:And the $50 int'l calling credit has little, if any, value to many others. As for those for whom it is a significant incentive, they would likely use most of it, or at least a substantial portion within the 90 day period.

You're right that for many people the credit is valueless unless they want to call someone randomly in Australia and ask how the weather is.

But for the rest, where may be it was the reason they bought from Costo, unless you're calling a real expensive country (there are a few) you would have to work hard to use up the $50. If you're calling Europe you would have to call for 30 minutes a day, every day, to use up the credit which isn't really reasonable is it?

I have used no international minutes and do not plan on using any before retuning.

There is a fellow in my office complex who came with his family from Spain a few years back. He tells me his wife spends an hour or more each day talking to her family (using Skype as I recall). Whe his wife and kids are visiting Spain, he spends at least a half hour each day talking to them.

I take it you have not used any of the international minutes because you have no need for international calling at this time.
#17626 by atici
Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:31 am
I don't understand why everyone wastes time on this. These facts seem clear:
- 90 day expiry is stupid but that's how ooma promotion worked.
- costco made a mistake not including this in the footprint.
- ooma did not have the intention to misstate. Even though this expiry is not sensible I think most would agree there is no bad business practice here.
- One could always return ooma back to costco if they are not happy.
- Of course if ooma removed this expiry, it'd be nice. However they don't seem like they will.

So based on these make your own decision to keep or return it. Life is too short for endless bickering...
#17645 by mikepa
Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:42 pm
oomg wrote:
There is a fellow in my office complex who came with his family from Spain a few years back. He tells me his wife spends an hour or more each day talking to her family (using Skype as I recall). Whe his wife and kids are visiting Spain, he spends at least a half hour each day talking to them.

I take it you have not used any of the international minutes because you have no need for international calling at this time.

Anyone with such a high need as this would be best to get two Ooma's and send one to Spain. With both Ooma's having a US number all calls between them would be free.

My wife is from the Philippines and calls her family once a week or so for maybe half an hour. We're still using up the pre-paid Skype minutes and sometimes she chats with the family through the computer which is of course free.
#17648 by dr150
Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:59 pm
There is no question whether either Costco and/or Ooma should make amends to fix this marketing fiasco.

For many, including myself, have bought the device with the enticement of the $50 (this bickering from fanboys saying "Aw shucks just forget about it - it's still a good product, or just return it" is not germane to the issue at hand).

The company(s) negligence to include the standard SPECIFIC terms in the advertising AND negligence of credit expiry on Ooma's "My Account" website smacks of underhandedness as this issue is clear to Oooma customer service and they won't do anything to fix this.

I'd gather that 99% of new Ooma customers port their number within the first 90 days (sunk cost of time & $40 porting expense). Everything is going well.......then BOOM $50 (which is 20%+ of the value of the hardware after taxes) is gone! Say what?!!...........

........Sure, if you're bitter, you can return the device and go through the time and expense of re-porting your number to the telco, but that's still NOT GERMANE to the consumer/seller original purchase agreement as DETAILS of the purchase weren't adequately spelled out as it should have been to said consumer.

You think people aren't going to complain? Tens of thousands of these units will be sold at Costco over the coming weeks from this promo.

As credits from this offer begin to expire, the wave of complaints and BAD, BAD, BAD PR (internet, print, TV) is.......coming.

Guaranteed.......
#17703 by oomg
Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:29 pm
dr150 wrote:There is no question whether either Costco and/or Ooma should make amends to fix this marketing fiasco.

For many, including myself, have bought the device with the enticement of the $50 (this bickering from fanboys saying "Aw shucks just forget about it - it's still a good product, or just return it" is not germane to the issue at hand).

The company(s) negligence to include the standard SPECIFIC terms in the advertising AND negligence of credit expiry on Ooma's "My Account" website smacks of underhandedness as this issue is clear to Oooma customer service and they won't do anything to fix this.

I'd gather that 99% of new Ooma customers port their number within the first 90 days (sunk cost of time & $40 porting expense). Everything is going well.......then BOOM $50 (which is 20%+ of the value of the hardware after taxes) is gone! Say what?!!...........

........Sure, if you're bitter, you can return the device and go through the time and expense of re-porting your number to the telco, but that's still NOT GERMANE to the consumer/seller original purchase agreement as DETAILS of the purchase weren't adequately spelled out as it should have been to said consumer.

You think people aren't going to complain? Tens of thousands of these units will be sold at Costco over the coming weeks from this promo.

As credits from this offer begin to expire, the wave of complaints and BAD, BAD, BAD PR (internet, print, TV) is.......coming.

Guaranteed.......

Hey... wait a minute... what about those who acutally knew the $50 had a time limitation?

Rather than continue to gripe here, I can recommend a constructive path for you. Consider either of the following: (1) put together a coherent argument supported by both facts and law, and submit to ooma's marketing VP. I'm sure that they have no interest in creating bad PR. (2) Go to your local Costco and hang out by the ooma display so that you can warn people, thereby allowing them to make an informed decision. Remember, the deal at Costco.com is not the same as Costco's in store deal (at least not to my knowledge). In fact, you might want to point out that the dot.com deal is a better package for the consumer even if the credit expires in 90 days.

As far as the "wave of complaints and BAD, BAD, BAD PR are concerned: Well... I guess history will be the judge. So far, I have seen only a few.

In any event, it looks like even you must concede that any future complaints can be averted by simply disclosing clearly up front that the credit expires in 90 days.