Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#16379 by dr150
Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:05 am
When I recently bought the Ooma Hub/Scout at Costco.com for $230, they advertised the $50 International Calling Credit.

No expiration date was given on the box or on the website (under My Accounts). And only thru research did I find an obscure biline in a remote webpage stating the 90 Day Expiration Date!

90 days?! Are you kidding me?!

At low Int'l rates, spending $50 on long distance is nearly impossible for the average consumer in that amount of time!

This is purposely done to entice you to purchase and then quickly sweep the rug from under you after they assume you've ported the number to Ooma.

***********I IMPLORE OOMA MANAGEMENT TO IMMEDIATELY ADJUST THIS EXPIRATION DATE TO SOMETHING MORE REASONABLE OF AT LEAST ONE YEAR. THIS IS BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE AS IT CURRENTLY STANDS!......*************
#16389 by bw1
Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:31 am
Costco.com products can be returned to any of our more than 500 Costco warehouses worldwide.

It's up to you to do your own research and read the fine print of any product you are considering to buy.

If you want to complain to someone, complain to Costco.com for not clearly spelling out the terms and conditions of the $50 international calling credit.
#16398 by dr150
Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:08 pm
bw1 wrote:
Costco.com products can be returned to any of our more than 500 Costco warehouses worldwide.

It's up to you to do your own research and read the fine print of any product you are considering to buy.

If you want to complain to someone, complain to Costco.com for not clearly spelling out the terms and conditions of the $50 international calling credit.

Typical fanboy (employee?) response. :/

NOWHERE is it listed on the Costco webpage............ (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11485914&search=ooma&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=ooma&Ntt=ooma&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

The only blurb on Costco:
"* Credit applied to customer Ooma account"

But lets move on from Costco.

Ooma has one teeny "90 day" blurb listed in extremely small font at the very bottom on some Ooma referral webpage......BUT it is NOT directly related to this deal(s) but can be assumed..........[url](https://www.ooma.com/buy/referral.php)[/url]

BUT THE BIGGEST SNEAK:
The "MY Account" tab showing one's credit and use has no mention of CREDIT EXPIRING DATES thus giving the average customer the sense that the credit won't expire....until it's too late.

**********IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF OOMA TO SHOW CREDIT EXPIRY ON ONE'S ACCOUNT AS WELL AS MARKETING CAMPAIGN DETAILS.**********
#16412 by niknak
Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:13 pm
... IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF OOMA TO SHOW CREDIT EXPIRY ON ONE'S ACCOUNT..

according to who? what law?

Ooma has one teeny "90 day" blurb listed in extremely small font at the very bottom on some Ooma referral webpage...

Well, it is published on ooma's official website
#16416 by dr150
Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:34 pm
niknak wrote:
Ooma has one teeny "90 day" blurb listed in extremely small font at the very bottom on some Ooma referral webpage...

Well, it is published on ooma's official website

That is not the same promotion. It's a $50 promo for referring someone (i.e. not on website).

As I said, one has to use an assumption that Costco's existing $229 $50 credit promo thru Costco.com has similar regulations as the referral scheme.

Assumptions are worthless but proven correct in this case when I called to confirm.

..........Regardless, as it stands, THERE IS NO LEGALESE AS TO THIS DEAL HAVING ANY REQUIREMENTS - NEITHER IN MARKETING PRINT NOR EXPIRY DATES ON ONE'S USER ACCOUNT......PERIOD.
#16418 by jmz
Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:40 pm
I didn't buy my 2nd ooma (for another house) at all for the $50 int'l credit as I don't have any int'l calls to make, so whether 90 days or 90 years I'd never see me using it.

Maybe I'll have to find some international calls to make. Anyone know a telemarketer overseas I can call???
#16430 by thbjr
Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:04 pm
jmz wrote:I didn't buy my 2nd ooma (for another house) at all for the $50 int'l credit as I don't have any int'l calls to make, so whether 90 days or 90 years I'd never see me using it.

Maybe I'll have to find some international calls to make. Anyone know a telemarketer overseas I can call???

Here JMZ, this has a few numbers. http://mediapro.foliomag.com/group/audi ... Topic:9748

I'll bet you can find more here... ROFL!!!
http://www.google.com/search?q=internat ... tartPage=1

With respect to the original post, I agree that if there is a 90 day expiration, the purchaser should be made aware of it, kind of like when you do a MiR (rebate). The paperwork always states the experation date for the offer. Having said that, dr150 doesn't need to continually SHOUT WITH CAPS to get his/her opinion across.

Tom
#16435 by Lola
Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:10 pm
This is the first time i have heard of the 90 day limit. I am also upset if this is true. I purchased this $229 package vs the $199 hub-only costco package because of the $50 credit. If this 90 day is true, I will probably return to the store. Like previous poster mentioned, the costco website when i purchased said nothing about a 90 day limit on the international credit. Not sure whose fault this would be, ooma or costco, but i agree that the account should show an expiration date somewhere in the international credits area.
#16438 by jm9496
Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:01 pm
Just a reminder that the $50 calling credit falls under the definition of "gift card" in ohio. (see ORC 1349.61) while “Gift card” does not include a prepaid calling card used to make telephone calls, this is prepaid service, not a calling card. As a result, ohio's two year minimum expiration applies. Additionally, A gift card sold without an expiration date is valid until redeemed or replaced with a new gift card.

For Ohio residents, this credit does not expire. For if it did, the issuer is "liable to the holder for any amount that the redemption value of the gift card was reduced, any court costs incurred, and reasonable attorney’s fees."
#16441 by jm9496
Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:30 pm
bw1 wrote:It's up to you to do your own research and read the fine print of any product you are considering to buy.

Americans disagree with that statement. That is why we* outlaw deceptive business practices, enforce fair sales practices, and regulate the use of terms such as "free" that are used to sell to consumers.

*"we" used collectively to refer to republic system used to enact laws.