Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#16256 by OomaScott
Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:53 pm
I think it'd be cool to be able to upload an mp3 or similar audio file that could be used as a ring tone for a specific phone number. That way, when a person calls, they can hear music, speaking, or whatever rather than the traditional 'ringing".
#17053 by scoutconnor
Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:42 pm
OomaScott wrote:I think it'd be cool to be able to upload an mp3 or similar audio file that could be used as a ring tone for a specific phone number. That way, when a person calls, they can hear music, speaking, or whatever rather than the traditional 'ringing".

This is a great feature and some cell phone companies have already implemented it. I love the idea and would allow people to customize their phone service even more.

+1
#20403 by MWPollard
Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:02 pm
The OP seems to mean a ring tone that the caller hears, not himself. Since the current devices (not including Telo) do not include the actual phone, the phone's ring tone (other than dot pattern) is not controllable, but the caller's tone is. This would be a rough equivalent to music-on-hold for the few seconds the caller is waiting.
#20404 by hpepper
Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:04 pm
Ah... Yep, you are right. I read it a little closer this time.

I was always under the impression the ringback a caller hears is provided by the caller's carrier. If this is true, the original poster's request would never work.
#20407 by MWPollard
Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:22 pm
I don't think so. If you listen closely, ring sounds sometimes differ whether you are calling a certain landline service or a cell service. Or some businesses, though there's the question of if the call has actually been "answered" and the ring is being generated internally in the company's PBX.

Decent question, may think I know, but don't really know for sure. Could be that anytime the ring sounds different, it's already been "answered" and taken off the originating provider. Which means that ooma could do it, but at the cost of all calls being "answered" for toll purposes as soon as it's received by ooma. Which would make all sorts of people upset.

Of course, somebody at ooma (reading this thread) should know for sure.
#20410 by hpepper
Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:36 pm
I guess you are right - here is an article that talks about huge revenues coming from ringtones AND ringback tones in the coming years:

http://industry.tekrati.com/research/10157/

My only fear is advertisers will also use ringback tones to make us listen to quick ads as we are calling someone. It's amazing how advertising is ending up in places never thought possible only a few years ago. If there is a way - they will do it.
#20411 by southsound
Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:43 pm
hpepper wrote:It's amazing how advertising is ending up in places never thought possible only a few years ago. If there is a way - they will do it.

I think evidence of this is in some of the men's restrooms in high-end restaurants. I can't imagine the demented person who first thought about placing an LCD screen above a urinal, but I'm guessing their next thought was to patent it so they could reap a revenue stream for idea. :razz: