Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#16096 by ggilman
Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:24 am
The bad thing is those 7000 minutes a month don't include any of the minutes she spends on the house phone. She does tend to spend more time on her cell than the house, but she spends a bit there too. I was concerned about ooma's cap but so far, we seem ok. Considering 99.9% of the house minutes are used by my wife and I'm still a bit worried about the 2k cap, she uses almost 9k a month. That's 5 hours a day she's on the phone, or 31% of the time she's awake.

After a rather unfruitful discussion about her curtailing some of those minutes, I decided it was far easier for me to find alternative plans than to attempt further negotiations.

Meanwhile, i have no issues staying within my 150 minutes/month cell phone plan and use the house phone about once a week.
#16097 by scottlindner
Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:51 am
It isn't a 2000min/month cap, it's 3000, and the website states this is reserved for abuses and not regular use. Based on what others have said about it, I suspect you're alright by Ooma's intent.
#16241 by Gaelic1
Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:33 pm
I had an AT&T package including DSL. It ran around $48-50/month. I also have a cell phone service through Verizon. I dry looped my DSL, dropped my landline and my DSL has slowed down considerably. I pay for the PRO service which gets up to 3Gbps but I only get 1.65 Gbps for an extra charge of $10/mo for the dry loop. It was a terrific hassle getting the dry loop and reregistering my line. AT&T support is no help. The one good thing is that Ooma works very well with no problems and I get Call Waiting and Caller ID as well. I had not had those options before Ooma. I doubt if we will keep the cell phone package we now have but will opt for one with less minutes. The whole Ooma experience is a quality one.
#16255 by WayneDsr
Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:52 pm
When I was on AT&T's 3 mbit plan I NEVER got 3 mbit, more like what you are experiencing at 1.5.
I decided to get the fastest plan, 6.0.
I called AT&T and told them, I wanted to upgrade, however, if I don't see any more than 1.5 mbits speed I would cancel the whole deal.
A week later I up on 6.0 mbits with a steady measurement of 5.2 mbits.
I'm ok with that, but it goes to show you that you get whatever they happen to cap the rate at. The louder you speak, the faster you'll get.

Wayne
#16421 by jmz
Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:49 pm
Thought I'd share my strategy for saving on the landline and cell lines using ooma. I had 2 phone lines from Bellsouth, now AT&T. They made me very mad because they reduced the rates for new people, I didn't pay attention (my fault to a degree) so I overpaid my overpaying. I ported 1 line to ooma to try it out, and it's been working great for about 3 months so far. I'll be porting the other number in a few months if it continues to work fine.

If ooma happens to be out for whatever reason, I get 10 numbers from Verizon that are unlimited use not counted against our minutes. One of those I have is for google voice. So if ooma's out, I can make all my outgoing calls via google voice (very easily) for 0 minutes. The alarm is on a cell phone thru the alarm company, and I have a landline connected solely for 911 for which I pay nothing (911 service is available even if you have no phone service).

So all in all, I'll be saving over $1000/year over what I had (minus the cost of two oomas).
Not too bad.
#16432 by RN09
Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:44 pm
Gaelic1 wrote:I had an AT&T package including DSL. It ran around $48-50/month. I also have a cell phone service through Verizon. I dry looped my DSL, dropped my landline and my DSL has slowed down considerably. I pay for the PRO service which gets up to 3Gbps but I only get 1.65 Gbps for an extra charge of $10/mo for the dry loop. It was a terrific hassle getting the dry loop and reregistering my line. AT&T support is no help. The one good thing is that Ooma works very well with no problems and I get Call Waiting and Caller ID as well. I had not had those options before Ooma. I doubt if we will keep the cell phone package we now have but will opt for one with less minutes. The whole Ooma experience is a quality one.

The fact that you said Verizon dry lop DSL slow down the speed makes me worried.

Currently I have Verizon landline + DSL. Land line is $19.91, basic one with nothing, barely use it. After whole bunch of tax, it comes up to $39; plus $20 (no tax) for DSL = about $60. I have already switched DSL to credit card bill in order to port number to ooma and get dry loop. Talked to CRS and they will pump DSL's price to $32 for dry loop (same speed). If everything goes smoothly, I will save probally about $30/month.
#16621 by Gaelic1
Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:35 pm
WayneDsr wrote:When I was on AT&T's 3 mbit plan I NEVER got 3 mbit, more like what you are experiencing at 1.5.
I decided to get the fastest plan, 6.0.
I called AT&T and told them, I wanted to upgrade, however, if I don't see any more than 1.5 mbits speed I would cancel the whole deal.
A week later I up on 6.0 mbits with a steady measurement of 5.2 mbits.
I'm ok with that, but it goes to show you that you get whatever they happen to cap the rate at. The louder you speak, the faster you'll get.

Wayne

I spent a lot of time with calls to AT&T support and now I am running around 2.4-2.6 Gbps. That seems to be where I was before the dry loop. That's in the ballpark for me.
#16624 by WayneDsr
Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:42 pm
Yep, that's about right with DSL. Good deal.
Keep an eye on it, if AT&T "sees" a wiring issue somewhere along the route, they "cap" it back down and don't tell you a thing.

Wayne
#17282 by thomashong
Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:09 am
jmz wrote:...I have a landline connected solely for 911 for which I pay nothing (911 service is available even if you have no phone service).

Really... am I reading this right? You're saying I can cancel my landline phone service completely and be able to call 911 as long as I have a phone connected to a wall jack?

With ooma, the only reason I still want to keep a landline is for 911 only. I thought I had to maintain minimum phone service (like measured rate or universal life) for that. Good tip, that's another $10 saving per month!
#17283 by hpepper
Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:14 am
No - not normally true. In almost all cases - There will be no dialtone on a disconnected landline. If there is no dialtone, there is no way to call 911.

In almost all cases, 911 service IS available from any CELLPHONE that is disconnected.