Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#15745 by bgmcardl
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:25 am
I am replacing my vonage router and see a discrepancy with how port 80 passes through the ooma hub to an internal server.

I previously had

internet - vonage router - server & PC

I setup the vonage router to pass port 80 (and other ports) from the internet to the server. I was able to use the routers internet IP address on the PC, and the router would redirect the request correctly to the server.

However, replacing vonage with ooma and setup the ooma hub DMZ to the vonage router (which then passes it to the server):

internet - ooma hub - vonage router - server & PC

I can only access the server correctly from a computer outside the internet. If I use the ooma hub internet address from the PC, it redirects the browser to the setup.ooma.com page. FTP (and I assume other ports) don't get redirected to the server either.

It's difficult to know if I have the server setup correctly without testing it from inside the network.

I assume this must be a ooma hub firmware issue. Any chance this could be fixed?

Bruce
#15838 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:36 pm
The Ooma Hub has a router in it and although you are placing your router in the DMZ of the Ooma Hub, you are still subject to the other aspects of the Ooma Hub's built in router. What you are experience is that the Ooma Hub does not support NAT Loopback, but your other router does.

There are several solutions to this with their own pros and cons.
1. Put your router first and set up QoS to ensure your Ooma calls are given highest priority
2. Deal with it and use a free web proxy to test your server (e.g. http://www.hidemyass.com)
3. Edit your hosts file on your local machines on your LAN. Enter the domain name and the LAN IP address of your server.

Scott
#18719 by jimjr
Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:11 am
scottlindner wrote:The Ooma Hub has a router in it and although you are placing your router in the DMZ of the Ooma Hub, you are still subject to the other aspects of the Ooma Hub's built in router. What you are experience is that the Ooma Hub does not support NAT Loopback, but your other router does.

There are several solutions to this with their own pros and cons.
1. Put your router first and set up QoS to ensure your Ooma calls are given highest priority
2. Deal with it and use a free web proxy to test your server (e.g. http://www.hidemyass.com)
3. Edit your hosts file on your local machines on your LAN. Enter the domain name and the LAN IP address of your server.

Scott

Actually, there is an even simpler solution than this. Go into the Vonage router's general configuration page and locate its WAN IP address, which the Ooma hub will automatically assign as soon as the router is connected to the hub. Then open up the Ooma hub's set up page and enter this WAN IP address into the Ooma hub's DMZ. This has the effect of leaving the Ooma hub physically in front of the router but otherwise exposing the router directly to the internet. Your ports will then forward exactly as the router is configured to forward them without interference from the Ooma hub.
#20088 by bgmcardl
Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:47 am
Using that DMZ still doesn't work from a computer on the home side.

On the ooma setup advanced page:
DMZ
DMZ Address: 172.27.35.125 <-this is the vonage routers wan IP

and the ooma setup status page:
Network
MODEM: Connected : [76.119.251.109]
HOME: Connected : [172.27.35.1]

Browsing to either MODEM or HOME IP's from inside the network still goes to the setup.ooma.com page.

Browsing to 172.27.35.125 does go to the internal server, but that's not what my domain name would be set to.

The DMZ feature does work as expected from outside the LAN.

Bruce
#20099 by scottlindner
Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:03 pm
You may need to use the hosts file for you LAN test to work. Depending on how your web server is configured for virtual hosts you may be required to use the hostname in your LAN test. To do this, add your domain name to your hosts file and use the LAN IP for the web server and try the test. If this works and it doesn't work by LAN IP that means your web server is set up for virtual hosting. This isn't bad, it's actually good, but it's making your tests fail.

To test via your WAN you'll need to use a free web proxy such as http://www.hidemyass.com/. The Ooma Hub does not do NAT Loopback so you'll need be able to test your domain name unless you add your local IP to your hosts file permanently or if you use a free web proxy.

Scott