Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#15706 by thbjr
Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:21 pm
I know that call block isn't working on the landline I have forwarded to OOMA, until it ports over next week. That being said, I just recieved a call from (352)000-9876, Name Uniavailabl. Can you believe it, it was a telemarketer...LOL! going to lower my credcard intrest rate.
My question is, when my number is ported, will the community blacklist be blocking calls from numbers like that one that are sooo obviously spoofed? I don't think that the anonymous call blocker would catch it because of the telemarketer putting in a name, Name Unavailabl.
Just wondering....
#15709 by bluechalk
Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:11 pm
My wife has a low-cost long distance carrier at work. Her calls deliver Caller Id 000-274-3453 where 274-3453 is her phone number. So, its not a good idea to block all numbers that look suspicious.
#15714 by thbjr
Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:13 pm
With all due respect to your wife's employer, any one expecting me to answer any call with a 000 area code, or a 000 prefix as was this case, had better notify me in advance of their odd telephone number.
Goggling 325-000-9876 turns up hundreds/thousands of hits/complaints with only 1 theme, scam! http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-352-000-9876
As for a 000 area code, Wikipedia states that is is an "outbound-only" area code. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_000
Again, if I can not return the call, I personally am not going to answer it.
The only legit 000 prefix I can find is appearently some overseas military calls come in as a 200-000-xxxx number.

OOMA, please add 325-000-9876 to our community blacklist, if it's not already there. It is very obvious, using google, that this is scam number.
#15725 by bw1
Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:39 pm
thbjr wrote:OOMA, please add 325-000-9876 to our community blacklist, if it's not already there. It is very obvious, using google, that this is scam number.

It should get on the community blacklist if enough users put it on their personal blacklist. I just added it to mine.
#15731 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:39 am
thbjr wrote:With all due respect to your wife's employer, any one expecting me to answer any call with a 000 area code, or a 000 prefix as was this case, had better notify me in advance of their odd telephone number.

I agree with you on this. If someone wants to talk to me, they better be willing to tell me who they are. If they are not willing to tell me who they are, why should I speak with them?

I have blacklisted national telemarketers such as the one you've experienced. We can only hope that over time as the Ooma community grows, and time goes by for us to blacklist the majority of offenders that the community blacklist will be very solid.

Over the past couple of weeks we've had some voicemails when we knew we were home and wondered why we didn't hear the phone ring. The message was a hang up each time. I checked the call log in the Lounge and did similar research as you and found it was a national telemarketer. Sweetness! Talk about getting buy in from the wife! She was very happy to be a Premier subscriber. How many telemarketers are not bothering us that hang up before a message if left that we don't even know about? Totally awesome.

Scott
#15733 by thbjr
Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:20 am
inspectorgene wrote:The number in the original post was (352)000-9876

Thanks inspectorgene, you are correct. It was 352.....
I mis wrote it in my second post.
#15753 by WayneDsr
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:46 am
I agree with Scott, you want to talk to me, you'd better let me know who your are first.
My landline is still connected seperate from ooma and on the Do Not Call list. I get calls almost every day from telemarketers.
Never get a single one on ooma!

Wayne
#15758 by inspectorgene
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:55 am
WayneDsr wrote:I agree with Scott, you want to talk to me, you'd better let me know who your are first.
My landline is still connected seperate from ooma and on the Do Not Call list. I get calls almost every day from telemarketers.
Never get a single one on ooma!

Wayne

Which is why I am considering just letting my old landline number die and using the new ooma number.

Only thing is that I have had it [the number] for so long, it just kinda seems funny to not have it anymore...

I am on the do not call, but I get weird calls every day.

The new ooma number will kind of like having an "unlisted" number.
#15762 by WayneDsr
Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:03 am
I felt the same way. Had my old number 25 years. I was eventually going to port the number. After getting ooma and leaving the landline connected I've noticed that no one of importance ever calls it. My old number is even in the phonebook and no one calls it. People that need to get in touch with me usually don't know how to spell my last name (or even know it) so the phone book is rarely used.

I will dump the number when the time comes.

Wayne