Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#15551 by mcbleu
Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:22 pm
Good day, all

I don't know if this has already been posted
but I see many people afraid of not having access to 911

a simple backup plan --> Unactivated cell phones can call 911

- make sure you have signal at your location
- and have a charger plug it in so, the day you have an emergency and want to use it, you realise that the battery is dead and you cannot find the charger.

"""A lot of people don't know this, but even unactivated cell phones can call 911. It's not a bad idea to have one in your car or house, in case your other phone(s) aren't working for some reason and there's an emergency. """"

I'm in love with ooma , the only grief I wish I had known before about this incredible system.
#15557 by scottlindner
Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:58 pm
Yep, good back up plan. Plus, how many people don't have a cell phone at all? If you feel you need help ASAP, you're gonna try all sorts of methods to get through to someone.

Scott
#15957 by bonnydooner
Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:42 pm
I just moved to the Bonny Doon area and am currently an evacuee due to the fire (Lockheed fire started Aug. 12, 2009). Luckily, our landlord called us at 6 a.m. in the morning to let us know about a voluntary evacuation in the area. The town residents were all notified by "reverse 911" system, which only works on landlines (so far as I know). If there was a way to be on the system, I would be able to rest more easily. In a small town, people take care of eachother, though, the more remote you are, the harder it is to notify people not on the "grid". We opted for OOMA because there is absolutely no cell phone coverage here and the cost of having basic internet + ooma is great. I didn't think we'd have an emergency this severe so I suppose thinking through the 911 (both calling and being called by) is actually pretty important.
#15958 by southsound
Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:48 pm
bonnydooner wrote:I just moved to the Bonny Doon area and am currently an evacuee due to the fire (Lockheed fire started Aug. 12, 2009). Luckily, our landlord called us at 6 a.m. in the morning to let us know about a voluntary evacuation in the area.

How awesome to have a landlord that would make that call. And may I say that my heart goes out to you in the midst of this horrible fire. I am not sure if there is a way for a person to add their VOIP or cell number to the database used for this type of reverse 911 notification, but this clearly shows the need for it! I think I'd make a call when things calm down a bit and talk to those in charge of your emergency dispatch system. I'll bet that your input could make a difference!

Stay safe and welcome to ooma!

Edit: I just called our county's emergency communication division and they don't yet have reverse 911 capability - but the person to whom I spoke thought it was a wonderful idea to include VOIP or cell numbers when a landline is not used at a specific residence. Others may want to call their emergency communications administrative number and suggest or verify the same.
#15963 by daet
Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:37 pm
bonnydooner wrote:I just moved to the Bonny Doon area and am currently an evacuee due to the fire (Lockheed fire started Aug. 12, 2009). Luckily, our landlord called us at 6 a.m. in the morning to let us know about a voluntary evacuation in the area. The town residents were all notified by "reverse 911" system, which only works on landlines (so far as I know). If there was a way to be on the system, I would be able to rest more easily. In a small town, people take care of eachother, though, the more remote you are, the harder it is to notify people not on the "grid". We opted for OOMA because there is absolutely no cell phone coverage here and the cost of having basic internet + ooma is great. I didn't think we'd have an emergency this severe so I suppose thinking through the 911 (both calling and being called by) is actually pretty important.

I am really sorry to hear of your evacuation. I was a Katrina evacuee and then a Gustav evacuee. I called my local 911 center, and then verified my address (as submitted with my ooma registration), and then called me back at my number. If what they did is the equivalent of "reverse 911", then at least here (in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana), it works.

DG
#15965 by southsound
Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm
daet wrote: I called my local 911 center, and then verified my address (as submitted with my ooma registration), and then called me back at my number. If what they did is the equivalent of "reverse 911", then at least here (in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana), it works.

DG

Reverse 911 notification is a little different and not all communities have it. Mine does not yet. Here is how it works and why it is important. If a natural disaster or other safety issue requires notification of a specific geographic area, the emergency communications center is able to broadcast a message to those who are in that area. It might be a flood, fire, hurricane, prison escape or other scenario that requires a lot of people to be notified in very short time while police and other first responders are typically stretched taking care of the event. The database for those calls is derived from the geographic coordinates of those in the regular 911 system. My thought was to allow VOIP users and cell only users the option of having their contact number linked to a specific set of coordinates so in the event of an emergency, the system would also call ooma and cell only clients. It didn't happen to bonnydooner but praise God he had a landlord who made the call! I'd like to see all areas have such a system and include non-landline users as well.