Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#15448 by Lola
Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:51 pm
Sorry to ask, but I have called ooma and was told different things. I am thinking of starting the porting process of my landline. I dont really want to pay for premiere right now, since I have 5.5 months left on my trial. Is it okay to pay $40 for the porting and then if i decide to continue the ooma premiere in 5 months from now can I have the $40 credited, thus paying $60. Two different support people people, one said yes, one said no. Argh!

Also, how long do i have to set up a dry loop on my DSL. I called Verizon they said I have to start the process first with ooma AND tHEN call them when I have a date of porting. Is this right? I read somewhere I needed to set up the dry loop BEFORE starting the porting process. I am afraid of an outage in the process since we use the DSL for work. Should I go with cable while this whole process happens? Do I get a "sure" date once I start the process?
#15449 by niknak
Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:55 pm
I believe its been posted here that if you don't subscribe for premier and port you landline you pay 39.99. If you then decide to subscribe to premier after the trial period, ooma will credit the 39.99 porting fee thus costing 60.00 for the year
#15459 by bw1
Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:23 pm
Lola wrote:Sorry to ask, but I have called ooma and was told different things. I am thinking of starting the porting process of my landline. I dont really want to pay for premiere right now, since I have 5.5 months left on my trial. Is it okay to pay $40 for the porting and then if i decide to continue the ooma premiere in 5 months from now can I have the $40 credited, thus paying $60. Two different support people people, one said yes, one said no. Argh!

Based on this info, it looks like you can do what you want as long as you're still in the trial period. I assume you got your Ooma from Costco online to get the 6 months premier trial.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=111&p=414&hilit=port+premier+trial#p414

Dennis P wrote:The cost of a port ($39.99) is only refundable if you decide to upgrade to an annual subscription of ooma Premier prior to the expiration of the free trial.
Unfortunately, if you decide to upgrade a year after your free trial has expired, the porting costs will not be refundable.

By the way, Dennis P is an Ooma employee, but I suppose they could change policies by the time your trial is almost up and you wanted to add premier.

I would suggest that you just go ahead and subscribe to a year of Premier with the port. It's worth the $60 now and I'm sure that there will be a lot of neat features that they'll be adding in the next 18 months that you'd have premier.

Lola wrote:Also, how long do i have to set up a dry loop on my DSL. I called Verizon they said I have to start the process first with ooma AND tHEN call them when I have a date of porting. Is this right? I read somewhere I needed to set up the dry loop BEFORE starting the porting process. I am afraid of an outage in the process since we use the DSL for work. Should I go with cable while this whole process happens? Do I get a "sure" date once I start the process?

I don't have experience with DSL, but there are a lot of topics here that discuss this. Do a search for "DSL dry loop" or "DSL port".
#15460 by scottlindner
Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:37 pm
Lola wrote:Also, how long do i have to set up a dry loop on my DSL. I called Verizon they said I have to start the process first with ooma AND tHEN call them when I have a date of porting. Is this right? I read somewhere I needed to set up the dry loop BEFORE starting the porting process. I am afraid of an outage in the process since we use the DSL for work. Should I go with cable while this whole process happens? Do I get a "sure" date once I start the process?

That is what I had to do with QWest. I had to schedule the port with Ooma first, and then work things out with QWest. In hind sight, I believe I could have done it with QWest first if I said I simply wanted to separate my DSL and phone line accounts (create a new DSL account), and then schedule the port. I think that would have been much simpler, but I didn't understand the process until I had it all done.

Scott
#15462 by Quicksprj
Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:42 pm
I just went through the porting process with qwest where I had dsl on the same line as phone. I called qwest a couple of times explaining what I was doing and was told by qwest that as long as ooma didn't request the service be potted and just the number then there would be no problem. A couple days before the port took effect I called qwest back and they said ooma requested the number only (they did it right) and along with the shut off request for the phone line they also had another order for a dry loop dsl. I was without Internet for about 15 seconds. Hopefully if you stat on top of verizon you won't have a problem. The sqeaky wheel gets the oil.