Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#16063 by ggilman
Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:37 pm
MikeekiM wrote:I've had both... I currently have DSL... The only thing about DSL is that it that they charge you more for it if you don't have a landline...

It's no different with cable, at least where I live. It's around $10 more to get cable modem without cable tv.

Granted, having a VoIP system, you're more likely to want to get rid of your phone than your cable tv, but the extra fee is there. One of my friends changed to one of the satellite dish systems recently. His cable modem price was going up so much that he decided to change to DSL. Of course, he had a landline already.
#16074 by MikeekiM
Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:08 pm
ggilman wrote:
MikeekiM wrote:I've had both... I currently have DSL... The only thing about DSL is that it that they charge you more for it if you don't have a landline...

It's no different with cable, at least where I live. It's around $10 more to get cable modem without cable tv.

Granted, having a VoIP system, you're more likely to want to get rid of your phone than your cable tv, but the extra fee is there. One of my friends changed to one of the satellite dish systems recently. His cable modem price was going up so much that he decided to change to DSL. Of course, he had a landline already.

Yea... I guess that was my point...that if you are going with Ooma to get rid of your landline, that there is an added financial incentive to keep that landline that you were trying to get rid of in the first place :)
#16076 by lutefisk
Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:17 pm
ggilman wrote:

Around here it is $17 pre month more for cable internet without cable tv or the voip service that the cable company provides (so same incentive issue). oddly, it is only $15 to add the lowest level of tv, so I save the $2 per month by subscribing to cable tv that isn't even connected to anything.

Back on topic, I will add that with cable internet I too have experienced wild fluctuations in QoS as measured by whichvoip and testyourvoip, but I seldom experience poor call quality. I am beginning to believe that my poor QoS measured by those two sites has little to do with my connection, and more to do with the route to those hosts because I get consistently great results at http://www.voipreview.org/voipspeedtester.aspx

I am far too far from anywhere to get anything but cable internet, so I have nothing to compare it to.
#16082 by scottlindner
Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:49 am
lutefisk wrote:Back on topic, I will add that with cable internet I too have experienced wild fluctuations in QoS as measured by whichvoip and testyourvoip, but I seldom experience poor call quality. I am beginning to believe that my poor QoS measured by those two sites has little to do with my connection, and more to do with the route to those hosts because I get consistently great results at http://www.voipreview.org/voipspeedtester.aspx

If you're getting wild results try shutting down your antivirus software. I have found it is a common culprit for unreliable results for those test sites.

Scott
#16094 by ggilman
Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:00 am
scottlindner wrote:If you're getting wild results try shutting down your antivirus software. I have found it is a common culprit for unreliable results for those test sites

One thing I've thought that may give fluctuating results, if not just simply bad results, is Comcast's Power Boost. Obviously measured speed is off, but more importantly, I'm curious how it affects QoS measurement. I'm not sure exactly how they measure it, but from the description, QoS is related to how consistent your stream is. It would seem going really fast for a couple of seconds, then much slower after that would not exactly provide the best consistent stream. I'm just guessing though. Does anyone know how Power Boost would affect QoS measurements?
#16108 by murphy
Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:07 pm
ggilman wrote:
scottlindner wrote:If you're getting wild results try shutting down your antivirus software. I have found it is a common culprit for unreliable results for those test sites

One thing I've thought that may give fluctuating results, if not just simply bad results, is Comcast's Power Boost. Obviously measured speed is off, but more importantly, I'm curious how it affects QoS measurement. I'm not sure exactly how they measure it, but from the description, QoS is related to how consistent your stream is. It would seem going really fast for a couple of seconds, then much slower after that would not exactly provide the best consistent stream. I'm just guessing though. Does anyone know how Power Boost would affect QoS measurements?

Not much if at all. Here is my measurement on Comcast.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5415352 bps
Upload speed: 2813392 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 26 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 85 ms
Average round trip time to server: 87 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 16800000bps
Route concurrency: 3.1022913
Download TCP forced idle: 64 %
Maximum route speed: 6168000bps
#16112 by Groundhound
Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:45 pm
ggilman wrote:

I too am a Comcast user, and here are my results with a wireless link (laptop) involved:
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 6.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 7864304 bps
Upload speed: 2233536 bps
Download quality of service: 92 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 99 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 70 ms
Average round trip time to server: 74 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24000000bps
Route concurrency: 3.051764
Download TCP forced idle: 71 %

Also, my speed tier is still the old 6Mb down / 1 Mb up, but with Powerboost I get the following with the same wireless link included:
Both tests are typical for my connection, and are a bit better if I go to the trouble of connecting my laptop directly to my router with an Ethernet cable.
#16154 by lutefisk
Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:48 pm
scottlindner wrote:If you're getting wild results try shutting down your antivirus software. I have found it is a common culprit for unreliable results for those test sites.

Scott

Interesting, but not my issue. (I am on a mac, and although I am aware that macs aren't truly immune, the level of risk is still acceptable for me to go antivirus-free)
#16168 by ggilman
Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:39 pm
murphy wrote:Not much if at all. Here is my measurement on Comcast.

Groundhound wrote:I too am a Comcast user, and here are my results with a wireless link (laptop) involved

If you both have steady results, I guess it's not an issue. I'm with Comcast as well but my numbers fluctuate dramatically. I'll get very nice numbers like you posed, then run the test again a few minutes later and get horrible looking ones primarily the QoS. I was hoping some of this could be attributed to PowerBoost but doesn't look like that's the case.

I've also ruled out anti-virus and have connected straight to the cable modem, eliminating any other network traffic & devices. Not sure why my signal fluctuates so badly but at the same time, not sure what I can do since the couple of times Comcast has come out, the QoS looked fine.
#16174 by murphy
Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:52 am
What brand is your cable modem?

Connect to http://192.168.100.1

and tell us what your incoming signal strength and outgoing power level are.