Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#15137 by lilolme2121
Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:50 am
I do not have home phone service. At all.

I just bought a fax machine....in order to make it work, all I have to do is connect it to the back of my Ooma box and I'm good to go?

What happens if someone tries to call me while my fax machine is "on", will the fax pick up?

Do I have to get a second line in order for the fax to work?
#15142 by Aveamantium
Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:15 pm
lilolme2121 wrote:I do not have home phone service. At all.

I just bought a fax machine....in order to make it work, all I have to do is connect it to the back of my Ooma box and I'm good to go?

What happens if someone tries to call me while my fax machine is "on", will the fax pick up?

Yes, plug the fax into the PHONE port (probably won't work through the scout). If you have problems first try dialing a *99(pause)number as this will use an uncompressed codec that Fax seems to like better. You may also have to play with the baud rate on the fax (use the highest that is successful). On incoming the fax will usually pick up after a certain number of rings. This could cause issues with VM so you may have to use the "instant second line" on the scout for incoming VM (will have a different number) and use the hub number for incoming faxes. Of course for this to work you will need to keep the Premier Service.
#15143 by Groundhound
Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:19 pm
lilolme2121 wrote:What happens if someone tries to call me while my fax machine is "on", will the fax pick up?

Depends on the fax machine. Many will operate in a “voice priority” mode where when you answer a call and hear incoming fax tones, you press a keypad code and the fax machine picks up (and you hang up).
#15169 by lilolme2121
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:04 pm
Ok, I plugged in the fax machine (to "wall") and picked up the phone on the fax machine and was not able to hear a dial tone.

Do I have to manually plug it into "phone" everytime I want to use it?
If I plug it into "phone", I lose all phone service on my cordless phone.

thanks
#15170 by murphy
Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:07 pm
You need to use the splitter that came with the hub to plug the cordless phone base and the fax machine into the hub's phone port at the same time.
#15181 by niknak
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:36 pm
The wall port serves a special purpose. You only will have dialtone on the phone port, as Murphy posted.
#15479 by fishmister
Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:44 pm
I have had the splitter setup for my phone and fax in my office for the last six months. Works pretty good. I had one fax machine that didn't work with Vonage but works with Ooma.

Also just sent a fax 5 pages long yesterday. Went through on the first try.

Also see this page for help.
Fax Support Article
#15496 by ggilman
Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:05 am
How many pages would you say you normally send at a time? If you send 3-4 pages at a time, like I assume most people do, once you tinker with your settings a bit, you will likely have very good success.

Unfortunately for me, I'm not in this position. I can fax a few pages at a time with little to no issue. However, my wife sells Real Estate and regularly has to send 30+ pages at a time, sometimes up to 150 pages. Ooma really just doesn't work for this. In any official literature on the topic, Ooma discusses sending only a small number as well. Nothing Ooma specific, I very highly doubt any VoIP system would work better.

In my case, discussion of sending 30 separate 5 page faxes is not even worth explaining to my wife. I've decided the best route is to use an Internet based fax service. I'd really prefer not to go this route but it seems the best option for faxes with high page counts.