Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#14977 by Quicksprj
Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:59 pm
I had qwest before switching to ooma and they had an option that if someone called my number with a blocked caller id it would say "the number you have called does not accept blocked caller id, to unblock your name and number for this call only and complete the call press 1 or enter your ten digit number after the tone". With Ooma the only 2 options are to send blocked caller id directly to voice mail or give the message to hang up and dial *82 to unblock your number. I work for a police department and all the numbers are blocked so when I want to call home from work it doesn't go through. The problem I am having is I cant dial *82 because I have to dial 9 first to get an outside line and then it doesnt allow me to dial * anything only a number. I am also unable to dial *82 first and then 9 because the phone system at work is not set up to allow it.

Just a side point that may be an issue for some folks. I work for a large police department in Colorado. I went and spoke to the dispatch supervisor about my issue since I am on call occasionally and wanted to know if they would have the same issue of not being able to get ahold of me because of the dialing 9 first issue. The dispatch supervisor said all Police dispatch phones including 911 lines are blocked so they would not have the ability to call me at my ooma number. I asked if I called 911 and then for some reason was disconnected during the call the police department would have no way to call my ooma number back. He said they have had a few cases where the number would not accept a blocked caller id but gave the option to unblock it or put in the ten digit number calling from and were able to call the individual back.

Im not sure how many police agencies around are like this one but this could be a safety concern for some people. For those who have a concern it would probably be best to turn off anonymous call block until something can be added or a work around can be found. I
#15076 by jm9496
Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:44 am
Actually, the way caller ID is physically passed allows for it to be sent to the phone even when blocked (because it still exists even when blocked with a privacy flag). The real feature I want to see is for the caller to be told, "Your called ID is blocked. This number does not accept blocked calls. To consent to automatically unblocking your caller ID, stay on the line. Your call will be completed momentarily." After all, the ooma CO already has the ANI, CALLER ID, and privacy flag. So long as you tell the caller you are going to unblock the Caller Id, and provide an opt out (hang up), I don't see any issues with it.

However, I have not seen any other provider handle privacy blocking like this. It would be a genuinely unique feature. I have unblocked CalledID in the past by simultaneously forwarding calls to an 800 number which is only plugged into a CalledID box (I still answer from the regular line)
#15091 by jacksonm30354
Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:13 am
AT&T (former BellSouth areas atleast), has a feature called Privacy Director (or something to that effect) that will intercept blocked calls ask them to identify themselves. If they do so, your phone rings and the automated attendant says "I have a call from..." and plays the recorded name of the caller. You then have an option to accept the call, send it to voicemail, and maybe to block it.
That way the caller could still keep their number private, but the callee would possibly be able to recognize who was calling.
#15100 by bw1
Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:38 am
jacksonm30354 wrote:AT&T (former BellSouth areas atleast), has a feature called Privacy Director (or something to that effect) that will intercept blocked calls ask them to identify themselves. If they do so, your phone rings and the automated attendant says "I have a call from..." and plays the recorded name of the caller. You then have an option to accept the call, send it to voicemail, and maybe to block it.
That way the caller could still keep their number private, but the callee would possibly be able to recognize who was calling.

I had that and it was called Privacy Manager here. I got rid of it when the gov't came out with the DNC list. I think it was about $8 per month.

I think this would be an excellent feature for premier.