Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#15596 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:30 am
Vtec525 wrote:Scott, why did you buy an ooma? Was it to finally get rid of the phone bills to save money? Or do you really have $$ invested in this company? LoL because i think I am hovering over your head right now..


I bought Ooma because it was the simplest solution out there. Cost was not my primary factor, but it was a factor. Simplicity, reliability, and power consumption were very significant. I also knew several people personally that vouched for Ooma quality and reliability, and the simplicity I was looking for. I couldn't find that with any other product. I am not made of money, but I do enjoy a stress free life. I felt for me that Ooma provided the best balance between life and cost savings. That isn't for everyone. If you don't mind fighting Windblows reliability issues, fan noise, heat generation, higher energy bills, and overall something else you need to maintain, go with Magic Jack and be happy you have the ability to pinch more pennies from The Man.

Scott
#15600 by oomg
Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:54 am
Vtec525 wrote:Scott, why did you buy an ooma? Was it to finally get rid of the phone bills to save money? Or do you really have $$ invested in this company? LoL because i think I am hovering over your head right now..

Do you understand this:

Just give people a choice and have them SELECT to buy a hub or scout or combo.

Now I am told ooma cannot afford to do that. So let us just end it there. People posted Costco has it for $200. But you need a costco membership. Then i was told FRYs has it for $149. But you need to buy it locally only. So basically I am at square one and in the end it is still about $280 for an ooma with the number ported. That takes about 10 years on MJ. And why didn't I get MJ? Well only because they don't port - YET. Once they do, I will like to see their revenue at that point. MJ would take 10yrs to equal what i paid for an ooma.


I can see it now... Somewhereville, U.S.A.: Guy hanging around the entrance to Costco... approaches an unspecting member who is heading for the entrance: "Psst... hey buddy, can I get you to buy me an ooma while your in there? I really need one and there's no Fry's in the area."

Get real, please. First, with a little shopping the Hub and Scout can be pruchased new for less than Costco prices. I admit, I was somewhat hesitant to make the initial investment, but was convinced I wanted to try the ooma system for my home. (I already had, and still have two VOIP lines dedicated to my business.) So, I shopped the net a little and bought a brand new Hub/Scout for $210, including sales tax and shipping. (Although I had intended to replace only the one telephone line, after playing around with the system for a couple days, I signed up for Premier... and voila! here I am.) So, with fairly minimal shopping skills, I was able to purchase both the Hub and Scout for $210.
(Note: Costco's current online offer is actually a better deal.)

I purchased a couple extra Scouts on the resale market (both were new in box), and thus, I developed a feel for the market price (let's say $25-35 for now). Thus, arguably, if I sold my Scout, leaving me with my Hub, I would have had around $180 invested. Please mention this to all your friends that either can't or don't want to shell out $200.

Vtec525 wrote:Your logic makes no sense with your cars example. I am getting a PHONE TO MAKE AND RECEIVE CALLS. MJ does that. So does ooma.

http://www.magicjack.com/1/reviews.asp
http://blog.laptopmag.com/magicjack-sco ... -2009-2010


There have been a number of ooma/MJ comparisons on this forum. I have always said that MJ has its place, and have even recommended it to a few people for certain limited applications. But, you won't likely convince anyone on this forum that MJ is equal to ooma in quality or long term price. (Well, then again, there is jackinfl who some might have thought was a MJ mole.) See below.

Vtec525 wrote:Keep in mind the majority of people in the USA are middle class, and not in your percentage.

I am sure 99% of the people who got an ooma, got one to SAVE COSTS in the long run. I already got my ooma, so I was fighting for the people who want to sign up and were hesitant to dish out about $250 up front. I was making a suggestion for ooma, because i know if they took the route I suggested, they can get MORE users, and in turn make more $$, and in turn be around longer. Do you follow me? Just how you all say ooma saves you money in the long run, well my suggestion would get ooma money in the long run. Do you see how this works?


Something is wrong with this picture. Let's see... these same middle class people need to leave their computer on 24/7, apparently without regard to the cost. See below.

Vtec525 wrote:Why does Microsoft lose money in xbox by selling the consoles so cheap? It is to make money in the long run on games.. Now I know ooma does not have the $$ that M$ does, but I didn't say to take a huge loss on the hubs. If they are hand to toe at this, then leave it how it is and let us see where ooma is in 4yrs.


WHOA! Isn't that what our POTS provider was doing... relatively low entry cost... then charge an exorbitant price for a separate menu of extras... o.k. you can bundle for a less exhorbitant price.

Vtec525 wrote:I know they did drop the price somewhat because before they almost went out of business. Hopefully that doesn't happen to them again. I am not AGAINST ooma, but am hoping they survive and their hubs last.

Now if what I said is totally impossible to achieve, then drop it. As i said, i already have an ooma. My only concern is the LIFESPAN of the hub now. If it lasts 5 or more years, I am happy. If it breaks in 2yrs, then I won't dish out $250 again. I will just take a loss at that point. I don't have a mansion like you or spare $$ to throw around and 'try' things.


Then... buy the extended warranty. See below.

Vtec525 wrote:Where I live, the economy is not doing so well. I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods (90210).


Newsflash... things are a little tough in most areas right now.


I hate to repet myself, but on page 2 I said: "Actually, the value of the individual scout has been established by the market for the most part. About $25-35 (plus shipping). So, it seems to me that assuming a $229 bundle price works, the pricing should be $189-199 for Hub only, and $29-39 for the Scout. BTW, the current Costco in store special offers the Hub only for $199.

Regarding a cost comparison against MagicJack, I posted a similar analysis in another post, but then learned that MJ is, in fact, offering a 5 year plan at $60 for the full five-year period. So, consider the following:

There definitely is a cost to running a computer 24/7, assuming one want's the convenience of 24/7 telephone service. Granted there is debate over just how much cost must be factored in, but there seems to be no denying that there is an added cost.
See, http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2404

Assuming for the sake of discussion only that one wanted 24/7 phone service for a single line at a single location, ooma can be obtained for about $40 per year amortized over 5 years (plus tax for current Costco special for Hub only) or $20 per year over ten years (plus some nominal amount for the electricity to run the box). MJ over five years would cost $80 (excluding shipping) plus the cost of electricity to run the computer. Over ten years it would cost $140 plus juice (assuming the MJ service price does not change).

Assuming further for the sake of this discussion only, that it cost only $7.50 per month (or $0.25 per day) to leave the computer on continuiously (as opposed to say... 8 hours per day), the total cost of the single line MJ system would be $80 plus additional electricity cost of $450 or $530 over the five year period which comes out to $106 per year.

O.K. you say... what about the electricity cost for the ooma Hub? I have assumed it is negligible, but even if one were to reduce the marginal cost for electricity to $0.10 per day to run the PC as opposed to the ooma Hub, the MJ would still cost $80 plus additional electricity costs of $36 per year or $260.00 over the five years or $52 per year. That would put the break even at approximately 3.5 years.

Worried about the ooma equipment? An 3 year exended warranty is available for $69 (let's say $2/mo). Since the unit comes with a one year warranty, the cost should be amortized over 48 months or about $1.50 per month, and thus, meaning that the total cost of the ooma Hub only option would be less than $42 per per year. That would mean a break even of just over five years. Then again, there is no garantee that the MJ would last five years."
#15604 by Vtec525
Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:16 am
LoL this thread is going no where... i feel like I am talking to a bunch of ooma employees... let's just hope that ooma hub lasts 5 or more years. I can end it with that. And I KNOW for a fact you all have your fingers xxed and are hoping you don't need a new hub in a few years. Sure you can buy warranty. But how much do you want to spend for a phone?

Warranty + ooma + Premier + Long distance = AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ( kind of defeats the purpose of NO PHONE BILLS)

This thread:
Image

ME:
Image
#15608 by oomg
Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:45 am
Vtec525 wrote:LoL this thread is going no where... i feel like I am talking to a bunch of ooma employees... let's just hope that ooma hub lasts 5 or more years. I can end it with that. And I KNOW for a fact you all have your fingers xxed and are hoping you don't need a new hub in a few years. Sure you can buy warranty. But how much do you want to spend for a phone?

Warranty + ooma + Premier + Long distance = AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ( kind of defeats the purpose of NO PHONE BILLS)


ooma employee? No, not me... just a VERY satisfied customer.

Fingers crossed: No... not me. First, I saved more than the cost of my system in less than three months. Second, although I might consider the extended warranty, I generally do not purchase them. It is fairly common knowledge that manufacturing defects will generally surface during the early life of a product. (Remember, retailers and manufacturers don't push extended warranties to lose money... they are simply betting that a product that has had no issues during the initial warranty period will not likely develope any such issue during the extented period.) So...

Warranty: Maybe... as I understand, I still have this option.

ooma: Yes... that's why I am here.

Premier: Not required (but even without Premier ooma is still far superior to MJ).

Long distance: What? O.K., I have made a few out of country calls... probably less that $5 worth, but otherwise, I may have missed something here.

Vtec525 wrote:ME:
Image


Ahhh, now I get it. That picture mut have been taken before you started this thread.

Look, I think I, as well as most of us on this forum, understand the point you were trying to make. That by lowering the retail price by another $XX, ooma will attract more customers. You have expressed what you believe to be a more appropriate pricing structure. And I for one, disagree with your analysis, and have tried my best to explain why I disagree. As I said before, I am fairly confident that ooma did some analysis before deciding on their current pricing structure. Of course, they have more accurate information than either of us since they have access to hard numbers and facts relating to fixed and variable costs. So, thank you for the suggestion. If ooma decides that it works for them, I certainly have no objection.
Last edited by oomg on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
#15626 by Vtec525
Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:55 am
You know what I realized? If you want an UNBIASED opinion, don't post on OOMA FORUMS... go to a 3rd party forum to post where no ooma employee exists. Because EVERY response I received was from an employee! hahaha

which is why we go in:
Image

OVER AND OUT!!! I found a new forum to discuss! Thank's for all your UNBIASED OPEN MINDED DISCUSSIONS!!
#15628 by inspectorgene
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:03 am
Well, tell us which one it is so we can all benefit...



Vtec525 wrote:You know what I realized? If you want an UNBIASED opinion, don't post on OOMA FORUMS... go to a 3rd party forum to post where no ooma employee exists. Because EVERY response I received was from an employee! hahaha

which is why we go in:
Image

OVER AND OUT!!! I found a new forum to discuss! Thank's for all your UNBIASED OPEN MINDED DISCUSSIONS!!
#15630 by southsound
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:09 am
Vtec525 wrote:EVERY response I received was from an employee! hahaha


So do we get benefits as an ooma employee? I was thinking maybe a coffee room with blended mochas and maybe some nice sticky buns or walnut brownies.

And what about vacation benefits? Can I have the 3rd week in November? Do I get to drive a company car? Maybe fly in the corporate jet? :razz:
#15643 by scoutconnor
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:52 am
southsound wrote:
Vtec525 wrote:EVERY response I received was from an employee! hahaha


So do we get benefits as an ooma employee? I was thinking maybe a coffee room with blended mochas and maybe some nice sticky buns or walnut brownies.

And what about vacation benefits? Can I have the 3rd week in November? Do I get to drive a company car? Maybe fly in the corporate jet? :razz:

mmmmmmmm... Sticky Buns
#15646 by WayneDsr
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:57 am
And here all the time I thought I was unemployed!

I can vouch for almost every person that responded to you. They are NOT ooma employees. I wish I were though.....

Wayne
#15651 by oomg
Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:08 am
Vtec525 wrote:You know what I realized? If you want an UNBIASED opinion, don't post on OOMA FORUMS... go to a 3rd party forum to post where no ooma employee exists. Because EVERY response I received was from an employee! hahaha


Geez! I thought I ended on a positive note: "So, thank you for the suggestion. If ooma decides that it works for them, I certainly have no objection."

As far as expressing a "biased" opinion, I admit that when it comes to quality, I am biased based on my high degree of satisfaction with the product, after having tried others. As for the quantative comparison, I am completely neutral... the facts speak for themselves.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests