Ooma Pricing... (FOR OOMA MANAGEMENT 2 C ALSO)

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: Ooma Pricing... (FOR OOMA MANAGEMENT 2 C ALSO)

Post by southsound » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:12 am

Vtec525 wrote:If I was a millionaire in my yacht, I would be thinking like you too. But no, I work for my $$, so I try to $ave.
Actually, ooma is not recommended in situations where the only Internet connection is either wireless or satellite. However, if you are not too far from shore, monoprice has great prices on cat5 cables. Of course, YMMV - or is that YNMMV? :razz:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

User avatar
scottlindner
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 4:47 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Ooma Pricing... (FOR OOMA MANAGEMENT 2 C ALSO)

Post by scottlindner » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:03 am

Vtec525 wrote:Special Vonage phone? huh? Skype has a special phone.

You can use any phone with Vonage, Phonepower, ATT Callvantage, Broadvoice, Packet8, Voipo, etc.

Not sure who you spoke to, but you were missinformed. I had Vonage, Voicewing, then Callvantage for 5yrs or more. All I had to do was get the expansion base phone once and used it with any voip service. This eliminates the need for scout also. And yes, I am on crack for caring about cost. You see, I lost my tree that grows dollars. But on the other hand, you didn't switch to ooma to save $$, you switched because you are a millionaire who has much invested in this product. If I was a millionaire in my yacht, I would be thinking like you too. But no, I work for my $$, so I try to $ave.
I didn't speak to anyone. When I searched for information on Vonage and Skype all I could find was using your computer, or buying a special branded phone. I wanted neither. If they offered different, they should have done better marketing. Ooma's marketing is quite clear. At least for the moment.

As for the cost only argument. Why didn't you buy MJ? You should reread this thread. You say it's about entry and not total cost, but all you can talk about is total cost. Ooma is already the cheapest in nearly all situations, if it isn't for your situation, you didn't do your homework before buying the best product that suits your needs. I gotta ask again, do you walk into Porsche dealerships and ask for Buick prices?

Scott

Chris W
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 8:30 am

Re: Ooma Pricing... (FOR OOMA MANAGEMENT 2 C ALSO)

Post by Chris W » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:36 am

Lastly, if you want it from Frys, do we book at ticket and fly to one to get it for $149? lol

No need to book a ticket, Fry's offers free shipping for this product.

Chris

Vtec525
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:11 am

Re: Ooma Pricing... (FOR OOMA MANAGEMENT 2 C ALSO)

Post by Vtec525 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:41 am

4087450772 wrote:Lastly, if you want it from Frys, do we book at ticket and fly to one to get it for $149? lol

No need to book a ticket, Fry's offers free shipping for this product.

Chris
Chris, it's local pickup only for the refurbs!

Vtec525
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:11 am

Re: Ooma Pricing... (FOR OOMA MANAGEMENT 2 C ALSO)

Post by Vtec525 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:47 am

scottlindner wrote: I didn't speak to anyone. When I searched for information on Vonage and Skype all I could find was using your computer, or buying a special branded phone. I wanted neither. If they offered different, they should have done better marketing. Ooma's marketing is quite clear. At least for the moment.

As for the cost only argument. Why didn't you buy MJ? You should reread this thread. You say it's about entry and not total cost, but all you can talk about is total cost. Ooma is already the cheapest in nearly all situations, if it isn't for your situation, you didn't do your homework before buying the best product that suits your needs. I gotta ask again, do you walk into Porsche dealerships and ask for Buick prices?

Scott
Scott,

Ooma is not the cheapest in all situations. It has been around 2yrs!!!! In 5yrs if your hub breaks, is it still the cheapest? You feel it is the cheapest with the assumption that it will last a long time. But if you are popping hubs into your home every 2yrs, then we will see how you feel. I didn't get MJ only because they do not port, otherwise it is the cheapest system to date. My cost argument in the beginning of the thread was to offer the hub and scout seperately to lower costs for users who do not need a scout. That's all.

As for the Porshe, if I have to buy a new engine for the Porshe every time, I will look for Buick prices. (I hope you didn't offend all Buick owners).

Groundhound
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 9:28 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Ooma Pricing... (FOR OOMA MANAGEMENT 2 C ALSO)

Post by Groundhound » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:04 am

Vtec525 wrote: My cost argument in the beginning of the thread was to offer the hub and scout seperately to lower costs for users who do not need a scout. That's all.
As has been explained a couple of times in this thread, the revenue Ooma needs to pay for non-Premier accounts is built into the Hub/Scout combo package. If they don't bring in that extra revenue, then non-Premier accounts become unprofitable in a shorter period of time. Likewise, if a large fraction of users don't own the equipment to upgrade to Premier (with the full feature set), then the over-all percentage of Premier upgrades will drop, and Ooma's business model will not succeed.

If you want them to have the same business model as MJ, you should just get an MJ. Soon you will be able to port your number to GV and then forward that to your MJ - and nirvana will be yours.

niknak
Posts: 885
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:53 pm
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: Ooma Pricing... (FOR OOMA MANAGEMENT 2 C ALSO)

Post by niknak » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:09 am

...as has been explained a couple of times in this thread, the revenue Ooma needs to pay for non-Premier accounts is built into the Hub/Scout combo package....
EXACTLY!

User avatar
scottlindner
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 4:47 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Ooma Pricing... (FOR OOMA MANAGEMENT 2 C ALSO)

Post by scottlindner » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:37 pm

Groundhound wrote:If you want them to have the same business model as MJ, you should just get an MJ.
I agree with this. If you want a Pinto, buy a Pinto. If you want a Porsche, buy a Porsche. If you want a Porsche at Pinto prices, you're wasting everyone's time. Not everything is about cost. If it were, I'd be living in Afghanistan because I'm sure the real estate is dirt cheap.

Scott

User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: Ooma Pricing... (FOR OOMA MANAGEMENT 2 C ALSO)

Post by southsound » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:23 pm

I think we need to have Dr. Nick Rivera pass out some happy pills for this thread. Everyone needs to take a deep breath! Image

ooma's not for everyone and if you are in that group where it doesn't make sense or sit your needs, sell or return your unit and move on. Most of us have been happy with our purchase and should not feel baited into defending it. Likewise, if you make a mistake, how about you take responsibility for that and deal with it.

I don't think anyone except ooma has a right to mess with their business plan or pricing strategy. If it is right, the market will show and reward it. If not, it's been a fun ride and a good deal while it lasted. My personal thought is that it will succeed and continue to offer excellent value to those who purchase it. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Vtec525
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:11 am

Re: Ooma Pricing... (FOR OOMA MANAGEMENT 2 C ALSO)

Post by Vtec525 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:01 am

scottlindner wrote:
Groundhound wrote:If you want them to have the same business model as MJ, you should just get an MJ.
I agree with this. If you want a Pinto, buy a Pinto. If you want a Porsche, buy a Porsche. If you want a Porsche at Pinto prices, you're wasting everyone's time. Not everything is about cost. If it were, I'd be living in Afghanistan because I'm sure the real estate is dirt cheap.

Scott
Scott, why did you buy an ooma? Was it to finally get rid of the phone bills to save money? Or do you really have $$ invested in this company? LoL because i think I am hovering over your head right now..

Do you understand this:

Just give people a choice and have them SELECT to buy a hub or scout or combo.

Now I am told ooma cannot afford to do that. So let us just end it there. People posted Costco has it for $200. But you need a costco membership. Then i was told FRYs has it for $149. But you need to buy it locally only. So basically I am at square one and in the end it is still about $280 for an ooma with the number ported. That takes about 10 years on MJ. And why didn't I get MJ? Well only because they don't port - YET. Once they do, I will like to see their revenue at that point. MJ would take 10yrs to equal what i paid for an ooma.

Your logic makes no sense with your cars example. I am getting a PHONE TO MAKE AND RECEIVE CALLS. MJ does that. So does ooma.

http://www.magicjack.com/1/reviews.asp
http://blog.laptopmag.com/magicjack-sco ... -2009-2010

Keep in mind the majority of people in the USA are middle class, and not in your percentage.

I am sure 99% of the people who got an ooma, got one to SAVE COSTS in the long run. I already got my ooma, so I was fighting for the people who want to sign up and were hesitant to dish out about $250 up front. I was making a suggestion for ooma, because i know if they took the route I suggested, they can get MORE users, and in turn make more $$, and in turn be around longer. Do you follow me? Just how you all say ooma saves you money in the long run, well my suggestion would get ooma money in the long run. Do you see how this works?

Why does Microsoft lose money in xbox by selling the consoles so cheap? It is to make money in the long run on games.. Now I know ooma does not have the $$ that M$ does, but I didn't say to take a huge loss on the hubs. If they are hand to toe at this, then leave it how it is and let us see where ooma is in 4yrs.

I know they did drop the price somewhat because before they almost went out of business. Hopefully that doesn't happen to them again. I am not AGAINST ooma, but am hoping they survive and their hubs last.

Now if what I said is totally impossible to achieve, then drop it. As i said, i already have an ooma. My only concern is the LIFESPAN of the hub now. If it lasts 5 or more years, I am happy. If it breaks in 2yrs, then I won't dish out $250 again. I will just take a loss at that point. I don't have a mansion like you or spare $$ to throw around and 'try' things.

Where I live, the economy is not doing so well. I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods (90210).

Post Reply