Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#15257 by MakoCSH
Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:10 pm
This thread is giving me a head ache.

Before I bought ooma I thought the up front cost was too steep. About 10 seconds later I realized my mistake. Paying $45 a month for talking on the phone once in a while is steep. Ooma, is not.

I briefly considered magic jack. But it's not a phone system replacement by any means. There's no e911, no porting, etc. With ooma I can walk in the door and instantly see I have messages, press a button, and hear them. I don't have to dial my number then press 32 other keys to get my messages. Magic jack is a novelty that would have worn out quickly (for me anyway).

My wife is merciless with my gadgets. They often only get one or two chances, and I doubt magic jack would have made the cut. She's never complained about ooma, and she uses it often. That says a lot :)
#15311 by scottlindner
Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:18 pm
MakoCSH wrote:Before I bought ooma I thought the up front cost was too steep. About 10 seconds later I realized my mistake. Paying $45 a month for talking on the phone once in a while is steep. Ooma, is not.

I went through the very same decision cycle you did, but it took me two days until reality hit me. You nailed it, Ooma is very cheap phone service.

Scott
#15359 by Vtec525
Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:18 am
4087450772 wrote:If price is a concern and the scout is not required, than checkout Fry's online for $149.95 (refurbished) with a 1 year warranty and free shipping.

Chris

That is a good price.. however, the question that comes to mind is why is it refurbished if it can only be about 2yrs old? lol

Are refurbished items, items that break and are sent back to store for repairs and then resold for less?

Lastly, if you want it from Frys, do we book at ticket and fly to one to get it for $149? lol
Last edited by Vtec525 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
#15360 by Vtec525
Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:20 am
scottlindner wrote:
MakoCSH wrote:Before I bought ooma I thought the up front cost was too steep. About 10 seconds later I realized my mistake. Paying $45 a month for talking on the phone once in a while is steep. Ooma, is not.

I went through the very same decision cycle you did, but it took me two days until reality hit me. You nailed it, Ooma is very cheap phone service.

Scott

Why would either of you be paying for phone $45/mo when for the past 6yrs there are many voip services out there for $12-$25/mo?

Put it this way... if I do not have to buy another hub for 5 or more years, then i will be happy.. I cannot do anything at this point but pray that the hub won't break on me.
#15372 by murphy
Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:56 am
Vtec525 wrote:That is a good price.. however, the question that comes to mind is why is it refurbished if it can only be about 2yrs old?

Any product that is returned to the store for a refund can not be resold as new. That is probably the main source of refurbished products.
#15446 by scottlindner
Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:47 pm
Vtec525 wrote:Why would either of you be paying for phone $45/mo when for the past 6yrs there are many voip services out there for $12-$25/mo?

Put it this way... if I do not have to buy another hub for 5 or more years, then i will be happy.. I cannot do anything at this point but pray that the hub won't break on me.

As far as I know, Ooma is the first VOIP system that costs less than a traditional POTS line, and allows you to use your own phones. When I checked in the past you needed to use a special Vonage phone, a special Skype phone, or use a computer. No way, not gonna do it.

It sounds like all you care about is cost. Call someone that uses your benchmark VOIP provider sometime.

Scott
#15485 by oomg
Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:26 pm
murphy wrote:
Vtec525 wrote:That is a good price.. however, the question that comes to mind is why is it refurbished if it can only be about 2yrs old?

Any product that is returned to the store for a refund can not be resold as new. That is probably the main source of refurbished products.

I think murphy is correct. However, I might go just a bit further... and state that aside from some minor defects that might be detected relatively easily, it would not be cost effective to rebuild a unit. In any event, any item that has been returned would likely be checked for defects, and once that process is completed, the unit is cleaned and repackaged.
#15494 by grathke
Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:59 am
I'm more than happy with Ooma as it is replacing my Vonage service. Vonage did not require a special phone. I simply plugged in the vonage router to the house wiring, plugged in the house phones and viola. Super simple.

My Vonage service was coming up for renewal at $300/yr. Didn't take long to figure Ooma was less expensive even at the $250 price. The call quality is very close to that of Vonage as it was alwasy crystal clear. however Ooma way beats the Vonage price after the initial purchase.

Glenn

scottlindner wrote:
Vtec525 wrote:Why would either of you be paying for phone $45/mo when for the past 6yrs there are many voip services out there for $12-$25/mo?

As far as I know, Ooma is the first VOIP system that costs less than a traditional POTS line, and allows you to use your own phones. When I checked in the past you needed to use a special Vonage phone, a special Skype phone, or use a computer. No way, not gonna do it.

It sounds like all you care about is cost. Call someone that uses your benchmark VOIP provider sometime.

Scott
#15498 by Vtec525
Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:28 am
scottlindner wrote:

Scott

Special Vonage phone? huh? Skype has a special phone.

You can use any phone with Vonage, Phonepower, ATT Callvantage, Broadvoice, Packet8, Voipo, etc.

Not sure who you spoke to, but you were missinformed. I had Vonage, Voicewing, then Callvantage for 5yrs or more. All I had to do was get the expansion base phone once and used it with any voip service. This eliminates the need for scout also. And yes, I am on crack for caring about cost. You see, I lost my tree that grows dollars. But on the other hand, you didn't switch to ooma to save $$, you switched because you are a millionaire who has much invested in this product. If I was a millionaire in my yacht, I would be thinking like you too. But no, I work for my $$, so I try to $ave.