Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#14802 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:29 am
oomg wrote:O.K. you say... what about the electricity cost for the ooma Hub? I have assumed it is negligible, but even if one were to reduce the marginal cost for electricity to $0.10 per day to run the PC as opposed to the ooma Hub, the MJ would still cost $80 plus additional electricity costs of $36 per year or $260.00 over the five years or $52 per year.


I will measure the power consumption of the Ooma Hub and Scout during idle and call time and post it in about a week to ensure I have accurate numbers.

As for the cost to run a computer. I have measured all of my computers and depending on what the computer is you could easily go over $20/mo in electrical costs, and I live in a low electrical cost area, so it could be even more in other areas.

Scott
#14805 by southsound
Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:53 am
scottlindner wrote:
Is there something less to sell that we're not getting?

Scott

Sure. The slick boxes that my hub and scout were packaged in. They make great gift boxes and eleminate the need for costly wrapping paper. If we could buy the ooma system without the scout or hub then I'd buy a bunch of them for packaging all my Christmas and other presents. I'd also like an option to buy them with just the logo but not the advertising. If I'm buying something I should have the option to buy it without the ooma name printed all over it.

Again, some will say I could just go to the grocery store and get some paper sacks or even use the brightly-colored comic pages from the Sunday paper, but again we're talking about a different demographic here. There is also a problem with hidden costs: the gas to go to the store to get the bags. And the Sunday paper is buldled with the daily ones that do not have brightly-colored comics. I know that some areas offer the Sunday paper alone for delivery, but in our community it might mean driving to the store.

Sorry if some are offended by my attempt at levity, but things were getting a little heavy when bottom line is this: YMMV with everything including ooma. I like mine. I haven't had a need to use the scout yet, but I still think it is good to have it in case I opt for Premier and want to assign a second line to it. My MajicJack sits on the shelf waiting for the next person to borrow it before they buy (none have after using it for a week).

So smile, have Wayne send you some of his wife's awesome brownies with walnuts, have a slug of my favorite Walmart strawberry fizzie water and relax a tad. :cool:
#14808 by oomg
Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:00 am
southsound wrote:So smile, have Wayne send you some of his wife's awesome brownies with walnuts, have a slug of my favorite Walmart strawberry fizzie water and relax a tad. :cool:


Now, that sounds like a package deal.
#14811 by oomg
Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:06 am
In an earlier post I said:
"O.K. you say... what about the electricity cost for the ooma Hub? I have assumed it is negligible, but even if one were to reduce the marginal cost for electricity to $0.10 per day to run the PC as opposed to the ooma Hub, the MJ would still cost $80 plus additional electricity costs of $36 per year or $260.00 over the five years or $52 per year."

scottlindner wrote:I will measure the power consumption of the Ooma Hub and Scout during idle and call time and post it in about a week to ensure I have accurate numbers.

As for the cost to run a computer. I have measured all of my computers and depending on what the computer is you could easily go over $20/mo in electrical costs, and I live in a low electrical cost area, so it could be even more in other areas.


I was trying to be extremely conservative with an assumed "marginal cost" of electricity used to run computer 24/7 vs 8/7 when compared to ooma hub, etc. on 27/7 basis. I know there are a lot of assumptions there, but that is why I used the conservative number.

Now... back to the brownies... something that I can really sink my teeth into!
#14814 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:10 am
oomg wrote:I was trying to be extremely conservative with an assumed "marginal cost" of electricity used to run computer 24/7 vs 8/7 when compared to ooma hub, etc. on 27/7 basis. I know there are a lot of assumptions there, but that is why I used the conservative number.


I know you were being conservative. I still want to measure the Hub and a couple of my computers to offer up a realistic comparison.
#14817 by Vtec525
Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:29 am
Hmmm i disagree.. it doesn't matter what the 'market' value of the scout is. It still is sold by ooma for $69. So Just have the option of buying the hub without the scout, and for those that do NEED a scout, offer a bundled price.

I guess similar to buying a gaming console. Some want 40gb, some 60gb, and some 120gb. No need to FORCE a 120gb on a person.

This will cater to the vast majority and draw in more subscribers in the long run!

BTW, the only reason I did not go to magicjack is because they do not port YET. And I needed a new service immediately so I went with ooma.

But nevertheless, why do you feel not everyone is jumping to ooma when as you say it is so plain and simple that EVERYONE and i mean EVERYONE will end up saving in the long run. Right?

Why isn't ooma as big as vonage? Hmmm, initial cost maybe?

I am not AGAINST ooma as I have one. I am merely making a suggestion.

Of the 25 some people I told to SWITCH to ooma, all I got back in return was the initial cost is too much, and what if you have to buy a hub again in 2yrs if it breaks.....

But what I am getting from you all is even if you do NOT need the scout, you want to buy it. LoL. Why not just buy the PREMIER if you want to support ooma?

If Costco has a hub for $200, then that is steep, considering I just saw both of them on buy.com for $200.

Even this is better:
HUB: $174.99
SCOUT: $69.99
BUNDLE: $229.99

People love CHOICES!
#14822 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:50 am
Vtec525 wrote:So Just have the option of buying the hub without the scout


This already exists today and has been stated several times already. Not to mention the future TELO will only come with one hub and one handset. If you want more than one, you need to buy those separately.

What are we missing?
#14824 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:56 am
Vtec525 wrote:But nevertheless, why do you feel not everyone is jumping to ooma when as you say it is so plain and simple that EVERYONE and i mean EVERYONE will end up saving in the long run. Right?


Have you read the press? People are jumping to Ooma very quickly.


Vtec525 wrote:Why isn't ooma as big as vonage? Hmmm, initial cost maybe?


As you noted earlier, Ooma is barely two years old, Vonage is a decade old. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Vtec525 wrote:If Costco has a hub for $200, then that is steep, considering I just saw both of them on buy.com for $200.


Ooma does not control the price resellers sell the product for. Ever read into why companies offer manufacturer rebates? The reason is to keep the reseller from pocketing the money rather than extending the offer to the consumer.

It sounds like you bought into the wrong company. If you want poor quality and cheap entry price, buy Magic Jack. If you are one of the Magic Jack customers that dumped it for Ooma because MJ blows, what's the gripe?

I understand the desire to reduce the cost to entry, but your arguments are non-sensical. If Ooma charged an annual service fee like ALL other VOIP providers then I'd agree with your arguments, but Ooma doesn't charge any fees at all, and has the highest voice quality of them all. It is a completely different market than those looking for ultra low cost to enter regardless of voice quality. IF Ooma gave the hardware away for free or near free such as MJ, the Premier subscription rate would not be 25% as it is today. Ooma would be forced to charge annual service fees to stay afloat to keep up with all of the leechers.

Scott
#14833 by Vtec525
Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:18 am
LoL..

Scott, I feel like I am talking to a brick wall....

I just pulled out all my hair.. thanks!

Sell the HUB seperately at a REDUCED cost to draw more customers. If Costco is the only place that sells the HUB alone, and you need to be a MEMBER of costco, well how about other stores selling it?

If I paid less than 200 for my initial cost, I would have opted for the PREMIER. I wonder why NOT ONE person out of the 25+ i mentioned this to jumped to ooma.. its the startup costs!

I wasn't a MJ subscriber.. LoL I said if they would PORT, I would have gone there.

And how old is MJ? 100 mil in revenue.. must be doing something right!

thanks Scott for listening to others!!

Bottom Line
"Like always, which one of these is better will depend on contexts, as each has pros and cons. But taking the cost factor into account, Magic Jack seems to be the best bet, since the hardware is quite cheap and it offers free calls to all phones, landline or mobile, for free. But if you don't want to remain attached to your computer, better look in ooma's direction. Still though, even with some more features, the high price will be somewhat deterring. "

p.s- do you work for ooma?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests