Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#14763 by Vtec525
Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:14 am
Okay I got my ooma bundle from Walmart for $229.00 + Tax = $243. I was VERY hesitant to buy this due to paying so much up front, but finally I decided to go for it.

I did A LOT of research on this before I got it, and MANY MANY people are afraid to buy it because of the pricing up front. I understand the pricing came down from what it was before, but still it is steep. Magicjack is only $20/yr.

As mentioned in my other posts, if the hub can last more than 5yrs, I would see savings.

Now, I do not need the ooma scout. I am sure MANY MANY people don't need the scout as well. Why force it on others? It is a $69.99 purchase for the scout SEPERATELY.

Why not just give people the chance to buy a BUNDLE or purchase SEPERATELY for more savings?

If I was able to buy the HUB alone for $229 - ($69 scout) = $160.00, then that is far more appealing and a much better selling strategy.

So people should be able to buy it SEPERATELY, or if you buy the bundle it will be discounted somewhat.

EXAMPLE:
HUB: $169.99
SCOUT: $69.99
BUNDLE: $229.99 ($10 discounted for both)

I guarantee people will be more inclined to buy ooma with this lousy economy!

thanks
#14772 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:02 am
It only needs to work for 5 months until it starts saving me money. Even if I need to buy a new Hub every year, I would be savings tons of money. If Ooma goes under in a year, I save tons of money. Yes, it's all a hassle, but it's worth it considering how easy it is to set up.

The hardest part of this entire Ooma endeavor for me was dealing with my phone company to port the number. Although I understand where you are coming from, your post indicates Ooma as the hassle when in reality it's our traditional Telco's that have grown accustomed to charging way too much for way too little.

Maybe the take away from your post is Ooma should consider a lease option with a monthly service fee? That isn't a bad option to get more people in the door. Always with the option to buy later down the road. Heck, let some of the monthly equipment lease money go toward the future purchase with the intent of full equipment ownership within two years. It would still be cheaper than your telco, Ooma raises more revenue and more quickly, and more people adopt Ooma. Sounds perfect!

I have been considering setting up a company that does just this. I'd take the financial and technical risk to get things going up front and charge for it. I'm sure I'd need to work this with Ooma. I could make a killing in just Colorado Springs alone.

Scott
#14773 by Vtec525
Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:16 am
I don't know how you would be saving if you bought a hub each year.

Your post was irrelevant to mines.

If you compare ooma to a traditional landline, then I can see the savings.

But i know VOIP providers who charge as little as $10/mo if you buy a 2yr plan with ALL ooma features included.

Magicjack charges $20/yr. So buying a $240 hub each year will not save money for many if you COMPARE VOIP to VOIP.

I am no longer comparing ooma to Telcos. Far too many VOIP services out there now and ooma needs to be compared to them.

As I stated, many people do not need the scout. It should be optional, and in turn will give people more saving$.

I am not suggesting ooma lease anything or charge monthly. Their premier service is suffice. Leasing will defeat the purpose and business model of ooma.

It's not rocket science what I was suggesting. Drop the scout to make the initial cost cheaper.
#14774 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:23 am
There are no VOIP providers that save you more money than Ooma over the long term. Short term, sure, but what are you looking to do? Everyone spends money for different reasons. Over the long term Ooma even surpasses Magic Jack. That takes about a decade, but you do save money with Ooma even over Magic Jack.

Ooma isn't for everyone, if you're a "Leave your PC on all of the time that sucks lots of power (aka money), that makes lots of noise, and produces lots of heat" kind of person, then go with Magic Jack. I loved how a tiny little low powered, noiseless device gives me phone service, but not everyone will see it that way.

There are options to buy just the Hub without a Scout. If that's all your post is about, then the problem isn't Ooma. You just didn't do your homework before buying.

Scott
#14775 by Vtec525
Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:47 am
Where can you buy a hub without the scout for around $160? Because I could not find a store for that..

As far as will ooma save you money in the long run goes, it is hard for anyone to say right now since ooma has been here since 2007.
No hubs have been on even 5yrs.

Ooma is free for the 'LIFE' of the hub, not 'LIFE' of Scott. If you end up buying a hub for $220 in 3yrs because yours broke, it will now take you 20yrs over magicjack. Now if you buy a 3rd one in 8yrs, it will now take you 30yrs to save over magicjack. Do you follow?

I did my homework... it took me a while to actualy buy this finally with fingers crossed hoping the hub won't break.

Nowadays, who does not have a PC left on? I have 2 on all the time. I still opted for ooma just because I hate having another bill.
#14776 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:24 am
Vtec525 wrote:I did my homework... it took me a while to actualy buy this finally with fingers crossed hoping the hub won't break.

Then there isn't a problem. If you found Ooma to be the best for your needs and situation, what else can you ask for? I'm really missing the point. Do you believe companies should go bankrupt to provide you more than the best deal you can find for your situation and needs? If it isn't priced appropriate, why did you buy Ooma? This is a legit question. Why did anyone buy Ooma if it wasn't cost effective to do so?

Vtec525 wrote:Nowadays, who does not have a PC left on? I have 2 on all the time.

What did you say about the economy earlier?
#14778 by Groundhound
Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:46 am
- You could have paid less for your bundle. Amazon, for example, sells it for a lower price with no sales tax and free shipping.

- I think that Costco sells a hub-only package in some of their stores if you are a member.

- Lots of people who only want the hub sell their unneeded scout on eBay or Craig's List and thus recoup some of their up-front cost.

- The soon-to-be-released Telo does not use scouts, making the issue moot for future buyers, so ooma management has addressed your concern as you requested.
#14779 by Vtec525
Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:50 am
scottlindner wrote:
Vtec525 wrote:I did my homework... it took me a while to actualy buy this finally with fingers crossed hoping the hub won't break.

Then there isn't a problem. If you found Ooma to be the best for your needs and situation, what else can you ask for? I'm really missing the point. Do you believe companies should go bankrupt to provide you more than the best deal you can find for your situation and needs? If it isn't priced appropriate, why did you buy Ooma? This is a legit question. Why did anyone buy Ooma if it wasn't cost effective to do so?

Vtec525 wrote:Nowadays, who does not have a PC left on? I have 2 on all the time.

What did you say about the economy earlier?

LoL, you aren't picking up what Im putting down... its fine. Maybe management can read the thread to get a gist of what im saying.
#14781 by Vtec525
Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:55 am
Groundhound wrote:- You could have paid less for your bundle. Amazon, for example, sells it for a lower price with no sales tax and free shipping.

- I think that Costco sells a hub-only package in some of their stores if you are a member.

- Lots of people who only want the hub sell their unneeded scout on eBay or Craig's List and thus recoup some of their up-front cost.

- The soon-to-be-released Telo does not use scouts, making the issue moot for future buyers, so ooma management has addressed your concern as you requested.

I did resell the scout on ebay. However, i only got $25 for it. If to begin with ooma can remove $69 off the initial price, then that is a nice savings.

So all in all, an option to buy ONLY a hub should be there.

The ooma telo does not address my concern. When released, It will be sold in various bundles from $199 to $299, and each handset will add up.

I already have an expansion system at home. I don't need the scout! Many people don't need a scout.

If people have choices, they can opt for only a hub if it suits them, and in turn they save money up front, and in turn invest on a premier account if neccesary, and in the end ooma has a larger subscriber database along with more profits.

It really is not that hard to understand...
#14782 by Groundhound
Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:06 am
Vtec525 wrote:It really is not that hard to understand...

True, I think I understand it. You feel you paid too much for your ooma, which included an additional component you didn't need, purchased from a retailer that was not offering the lowest price. But you bought it anyway.