Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#14684 by robtcody
Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:07 am
I performed the following test using my Vonage line.

1) Disabled VM (which btw ooma can't do)
2) Disabled SimulRing (Multi-ring in ooma land)
3) Disabled Call Waiting via *70 and called my local time/weather service so as to make the Vonage line busy.

I then called my home Vonage number with ooma and I got the normal busy signal.

Therefore my complaint that ooma is not properly detecting busy lines is unfounded.

However, ooma still did handle the overwhelmed 800 number improperly. Vonage played a busy signal when I called the 800 number and ooma played a dial tone (as if I never made the call).

btw, does anyone know where ooma routes its calls from? By design, the CT DOL 800-942-6653 can not be called from within Connecticut. Vonage can call it because it's PSTN gateways are in NY (I believe); not CT (where I am).

Ooma must be doing the same as ooma is able to call that line (when the line isn't overwhelmed). Therefore, ooma can't be in CT with me, but more likely in the state where their servers are located. Anyone know where that is?
#14687 by but2002
Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:26 am
From Wikipedia.
ooma is a consumer telecommunications company based in Palo Alto, California, in the United States.

That leads me to be their primary gateway would be in Palo Alto, California.

It is possible however for them to have more servers elsewhere. I'll let them elaborate on that more, if they so choose.
#14698 by niknak
Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:03 am
..btw, does anyone know where ooma routes its calls from...

ooma uses CLECs in rate centers around the country

If you wish to give me your area code + exchange I can look up which one
#15220 by robtcody
Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:30 am
How can you look it up? Are you an ooma employee? Is this something I can do?

203-549-xxxx

Eventually, I port my Vonage line over to ooma (assuming some the Multi-ring bug is resolved soon).

That number is 203-459-xxxx

Both of these are Trumbull, CT (one town north of Bridgeport)
#15234 by bw1
Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:35 am
robtcody wrote:How can you look it up? Are you an ooma employee? Is this something I can do?

203-549-xxxx

Eventually, I port my Vonage line over to ooma (assuming some the Multi-ring bug is resolved soon).

That number is 203-459-xxxx

Both of these are Trumbull, CT (one town north of Bridgeport)

The only Ooma employees on here have Ooma moderator below their ID as far as I know.

Here is one such place to look it up:

http://www.telcodata.us/telcodata/telco ... change=459
#15275 by robtcody
Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:55 pm
Thanks, but that link simply tells me that 203-459-xxxx is in the Trumbull, CT exchange. My 203-459-xxxx is on Vonage (in NY I believe), and therefore it appears that my 203-459-xxxx is coming from NY. My Ooma 203-549-xxxx number also apprears to be coming from someplace other than CT, but that site says it is in Bridgeport, CT.

I think only Ooma could tell me what particular server my ooma number is stored on and therefore tell me what city my PSTN gateway is located (and that is what determines where my 203-549-xxxx is really coming from).
#15278 by mjv5864
Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:16 am
I'm in Norwalk and it does not work for me either. I didn't expect it to since it's for call originating out of state as noted above.