Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#14547 by tdcsparky
Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:23 pm
I am a new user of ooma. My old number was ported over in 9 days from Qwest. My question is what dsl modem would be best for ooma. I now have an Actiontec GT704WG modem/router. This does not let the ooma hub set the QoS for the phone side. I am thinking about getting a dsl modem and a seperate wireless router. So far I have had no problems with ooma. My one problem was handled by tech support within 30 seconds. I thought the erase message button was the envelope button and could not understand why every call went to voice mail. I appreciate the lady at tech support for correcting my failure to read and not laughing very loud.
If anyone has a suggestion about dsl modems, I am looking for advice.
Thanks
Thomas Christian
#14550 by but2002
Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:54 am
I have found that a standard Speedstream modem works very well for a DSL connection, and quite quick too, especially if you're planning to use a separate router to share the connection with more than one computer and/or wireless.

I currently use a 2700HG-B and it's an integrated DSL Modem/Wireless Router, and I will soon be using this modem, after I get my hands on a router, because of the very same reason you are. I'd like ooma to QoS my entire network :D
#14555 by scottlindner
Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:07 am
If you put your ActionTec into Transparent Bridged mode, and then use PPPoE for the WAN connection on the router you want, you'll get exactly what you want, without buying a new DSL modem. According to the data sheet it does support RFC 1483, http://www.actiontec.com/products/datasheets/GT704WG%20Wireless%20DSL%20Gateway_1s.pdf

The Transparent Bridge mode tells the DSL modem to only do ATM to Ethernet bridging and that's it. Nothing else. Unless your ActionTec completely sucks at even that, you should be fine using it in this configuration.

I use an ActionTec in this configuration with a Tomato based router and couldn't be happier.

Scott
#14556 by but2002
Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:30 am
Yes, you are correct Scott! I forgot that was possible with some integrated modems!

This will indeed save him some costs on a new modem as well :D
#14557 by scottlindner
Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:32 am
Exactly. Plus, it's my opinion it creates a more flexible configuration since you are not bound to the limitations of your DSL router.

Scott
#14558 by aLf
Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:52 am
Stay away from Siemens. I just tanked one on a conversion to fiber. The SE567 was a problem on day one.

aLf
#35961 by scottlindner
Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:35 am
housepro,

You sent me a private email but didn't provide a means to reply to you. This is the thread you were talking about. I hope you find this reply.

Greetings Scott,
I read a reply you made to a post “Best DSL modem” where you talked about
using the Actiontec GT704WG modem/router in Transparent Bridge mode. I also
have a GT704WG and when I log in to the Actiontec I don’t see a setting
for this, so I’m hoping you can tell me how I would go about putting my
gateway into Transparent Bridged mode.

You can find the documentation for your DSL router here: http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=40#man

Part way down is a list of manuals for the different brandings of the unit. Assuming yours is Verizon branded (seems to be the most common) your manual would be found here: http://www.actiontec.com/support_cms/doc_files/GT704WG_Vz_User_Manual_3.20.3.3.5.0.9.2.8.pdf

The manual refers to Transparent Bridge as possible, but it doesn't provide instructions of how to do it. Sorry, that's the best I can do to help you.

Scott
#35991 by southsound
Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:51 am
I have an Actiontec GT701-WG which I believe is the single port version of the GT704-WG. I have found that the wireless portion of the modem gives a much longer range than the newer Actiontec model. I have my setup like this:
GT701-WG > hub > Netgear switch > Telo, printer, several computers, ReplayTV, etc. I only use the wireless portion of the modem for my iPod Touch so I don't have a lot of heavy traffic before the hub which does my QoS. Even when I'm installing a new app on the Touch my voice quality is great and I only have Qwest's lowest tier (1.5mb down, 768kbps up). If you don't have much WiFi traffic, I think this configuration would still provide adequate QoS since any wired connection is controled by the hub. YMMV :cool: