Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#14311 by Tampaite
Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:53 pm
International calls are prohibitive on Ooma esp calls to INDIA is about $0.15 per minute on average and this rate is just not competitive.

Other service providers offer competitive rates starting at $0.03 per minute.

Lowering the calling rates to other countries, Ooma could capture a significant chunk of money spent on calling cards and other international providers.
#16384 by dr150
Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:43 am
Completely agree.

I wrote them telling them that many of their long distance rates are not competitive.

The average Ooma user is internet savvy and can quickly use one of many popular long distance calling card/services (Talkloop.com, Localphone.com, Yupeephone.com, Pingo.com, Onesuite.com, Google Voice, etc) with auto PIN dialing. It's as easy and convenient as setting speed dial # to one's phone.

Ooma will not get an Ooma customer's long distance usage when they CAN get better rates EASILY with another internet provider.
Last edited by dr150 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
#16822 by arkumar15
Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:24 am
Yes, it is very important that ooma reduces calling rate to India. Because several other companies charge very less compared to ooma. And now vonage has introduced a world plan which costs $ 24.99 per month with unlimited calling to 60 countries in which they included India land line and mobile phones apart from popular calling countries like China, Mexico, U.K etc...
It woule be nice if ooma can reduce the per minute rate to India.
#16828 by dtalwar
Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:52 am
I am adding my vote in if the number of people responding will help Ooma make their decision ... I know I had to look for an alternative when I realized how much Ooma charged for some of the countries I call frequently to.
#16838 by RN09
Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:25 am
arkumar15 wrote:Yes, it is very important that ooma reduces calling rate to India. Because several other companies charge very less compared to ooma. And now vonage has introduced a world plan which costs $ 24.99 per month with unlimited calling to 60 countries in which they included India land line and mobile phones apart from popular calling countries like China, Mexico, U.K etc...
It woule be nice if ooma can reduce the per minute rate to India.

And also to Vietnam too :). The rate is up sky high (0.22/min). My wife told me when we used up the $50 card then will be no more. We used to buy a pre-paid phone card for about $2/for about 40 - 50min so it's prob. 0.05/min.
#18738 by shank
Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:09 am
This is a very big difference. Vonage has brought out similar premium features as well now and is touting a mobile "hub" too. They make money off monthly charges and ooma does so from hardware sales as per their claims. So why does Ooma charge more for international calls? Some services to India cost about 1.5c a min in fact while Ooma charges 0.15 c. Too high. A big factor for sure as people like me call everyday and if you can take people like me off calling cards you would see more money spent on Ooma calling currency. If 0.015c is too less at least charge as much as some of the premium calling services - 0.058c. I will definitely stick to Ooma with that kind of price for international calling to India. Well then it should also be a all India rate and not to just Bangalore or Delhi or mobile or landline.
#18790 by anant_joshi
Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:38 pm
Absolutely agree.

In fact I copied following rates so that I can open topic here. But glad it was already started. I got $50 credit from Costco. That's why I even bothered to check rates.

India $0.099
Bangalore $0.159
Bombay $0.159
Hyderbad $0.085
Punjab $0.159
Mobile $0.175

Does this mean calling Pune landline will cost only 10 cents but Bangalore will be 16 cents ? That's unfair if true.
#19357 by anant_joshi
Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:06 pm
anant_joshi wrote:Absolutely agree.

In fact I copied following rates so that I can open topic here. But glad it was already started. I got $50 credit from Costco. That's why I even bothered to check rates.

India $0.099
Bangalore $0.159
Bombay $0.159
Hyderbad $0.085
Punjab $0.159
Mobile $0.175

Does this mean calling Pune landline will cost only 10 cents but Bangalore will be 16 cents ? That's unfair if true.

And here's another rub. The system is available at Amazon for $190 with $30 cash back. It carries standard 2 month trial of premier compared to 6 month when bought from Costco. But so what ? And Costco's $50 credit for international calling amounts to only $10 when compared to rates of other companies.
#19382 by CloaknDagr
Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:22 pm
Just a couple thoughts, I don't call India but I have some friends from Punjab that do...

When Ooma releases the new Telo system, the current system will still be marketed but very likely a lot of retailers will be unloading them at decent discounts to make room for the Telo. So it's likely that the Ooma hub/scout combo will get even cheaper than it has been in the next few months.

If you're calling relatives and any of them have broadband internet, buy an Ooma and send it to them. Then calls are free both ways and they would have a US phone number also. For around $150 or the cost of 3 $50 calling cards the problem is solved permanently. Of course, a lot of places in India don't have broadband internet so this wouldn't be a help in that case.
#19388 by Jimpats
Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:14 am
I would like to support the request to OOMA to atleast make international call rates competitive. It does not make sense to have a communication hub and then go out and buy calling card and use them to make calls.
Any plans on iphone app for OOMA?