Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#14213 by robtcody
Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:28 am
I understand I can check my messages remotely by dialing my ooma phone number from another phone oustide my home and then pressing (*) during the message playback. The problem with this technique is the following:

1) If anyone should be home, they'll answer the phone and I'll have to instruct them to not answer the phone and try again.

2) I must wait 4 rings or so before the answering machine picks up.

3) I must press (*) during the outgoing message so as to retrieve my incoming messages. If I miss that, then I become another message recorded.

I much prefer the way Vonage handles this and would love to see ooma adopt the same approach. Instead of having to call my home number and experiance all the problems just listed, Vonage has its customers call a common local number, which in my case is "(203) 548-9100". I then enter # followed by my personal Vonage home phone number and PIN.

How about ooma taking this same approach?
#14216 by bw1
Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:50 am
This is pretty frequently requested and hopefully will be implemented in the future.

In the meantime, you can accomplish what you want be setting Anonymous Call Block to go to voicemail in the Ooma lounge Privacy Preferences page. Then dial *67 and your phone number and you'll be taken right to voicemail.

Since Anonymous Call Block is a basic feature, you don't even need Premier to do this.
#14223 by oomg
Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:15 am
bw1 wrote:This is pretty frequently requested and hopefully will be implemented in the future.

In the meantime, you can accomplish what you want be setting Anonymous Call Block to go to voicemail in the Ooma lounge Privacy Preferences page. Then dial *67 and your phone number and you'll be taken right to voicemail.

Since Anonymous Call Block is a basic feature, you don't even need Premier to do this.

LIB... lernin sumthin new evry day!

Personally, I would rather not have to dial a separate number and then enter my personal number as I check my messages from my cell phone fairly often while I am out, but prefer not blocking anonymous callers. However, it seems that it should be possible to add another special code (e.g. *66) that would take the caller directly to voicemail.
#14238 by bw1
Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:48 am
oomg wrote:... another special code (e.g. *66) that would take the caller directly to voicemail.

I like that idea. Seems like it might be easier and less costly for Ooma to implement too.
#14263 by robtcody
Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:11 pm
I don't know if the *66 would work or not. I guess it depends which service provider analyzes it. If I dial *66+my-home-number from my AT&T cell phone, I suspect the *66 is analyzed by AT&T and not actually passed on to ooma.

But here is another technique that certainly would work (assuming ooma doesn't want to invest in multiple phone lines to handle all the VM retrieval traffic). Set ooma preferences so that whenever it sees my cell phone caller ID, to immediatley pass it to VM retrieval. No password is required too as ooma knows it is me.

However, this does make if difficult to call home to the wife as all calls will instantly go to VM.

Maybe a *6x at this point could force me out of VM and make the phone ring?
#14274 by bw1
Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:36 pm
robtcody wrote:I don't know if the *66 would work or not. I guess it depends which service provider analyzes it. If I dial *66+my-home-number from my AT&T cell phone, I suspect the *66 is analyzed by AT&T and not actually passed on to ooma.

But here is another technique that certainly would work (assuming ooma doesn't want to invest in multiple phone lines to handle all the VM retrieval traffic). Set ooma preferences so that whenever it sees my cell phone caller ID, to immediatley pass it to VM retrieval. No password is required too as ooma knows it is me.

However, this does make if difficult to call home to the wife as all calls will instantly go to VM.

Maybe a *6x at this point could force me out of VM and make the phone ring?

The *66 was just an idea, it could be any * code.

The problem with going right into VM when you call with a certain caller id number is that then someone could spoof your caller id and get into your VM.
#14279 by robtcody
Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:19 pm
Yes, of course. The *66 could be any code <understood>. And yes, I agree that spoofing does exist. i.e. if the Caller ID received means that "it is me" from "my cell phone" - that that doesn't necessarily mean it is me as spoofing does exist.

So to address that valid spoofing concern, it should be an "option" for the user to require (or not) the PIN be entered when the Caller ID of the users cell phone is detected (for the purpose of retrieveing VM messages). i.e. if your the Obama white house, then YES require a PIN. But little ole me, then it is unlikely anyone could care less about my messages :-(

btw, this isn't a novel idea of mine, I think some other service provder is already doing it. Charter Communications perhaps? I forget.