Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#14234 by southsound
Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:35 am
Vtec525 wrote:I just wish ooma had some hubs plugged in since their birth to see how long it lasts. It is made in china, and many products there are cheap quality.... while many outstanding. Which one is ooma?

It is my understanding that ooma runs their company using their product. If that is the case it is possible that they have had quite a few hubs running since the first units (alpha's) were available. The executives and other company leadership also have been using ooma for a long time. Of course, most are probably in line or already have Telo's but their experience has at least let their engineering staff know how well the units hold up. :cool:
#14237 by Vtec525
Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 am
so you assume...

I wonder how many times the EXECs have exchanged their hubs?
#14239 by southsound
Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:52 am
Vtec525 wrote:so you assume...

I wonder how many times the EXECs have exchanged their hubs?

I am sure they have had many new units - but maybe the data is still good - that's why I said "It is my understanding that ooma runs their company using their product. If that is the case it is possible that they have had quite a few hubs running since the first units (alpha's) were available."
But you have a point - this is just an assumption. And you could be right so I guess my best educated gut level response is:
Oh My! Oh My! Oh My!

#14257 by southsound
Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:49 am
I just had an opportunity to talk to Tino from ooma's Technical Support team. He has had his ooma hub on his desk for over 3 years without a problem. I can only imagine the workout that a hub would get under heavy call volumes like he would have handled over those 3 years. That should certainly give us confidence in the quality of the units! :cool:
#14259 by Aveamantium
Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:56 am
Not sure if this applies to the guts of the unit or not but just by judging the exterior of the hub (feels solid and the buttons don't feel "cheap" when pressed) and the general weight of the unit, it seems well built to me.
#14266 by Vtec525
Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:30 pm
only time will tell fellow ooma'ers...

it just has to sit there and create a tunnel through to the ooma servers. nothing more. if built well and with good material, it should last a decade even before it fails. how many ibm servers are on the racks for decades...

95% of reviews are positive:
http://www.draze.com/search/?search=oom ... x=il&eid=3

but again, these are all over a 2yr span or less.. only time will tell how good this product is.

my # officially ported over today! i hope i don't pay for phone for 10yrs minimum!! lol far fetched or not?

if i never pay again for at least 10yrs, I will be saying this:
http://www.eventsounds.com/wav/freedom.wav

i tried to recommend ooma to family and friends and they all said "what if the hub breaks in 2yrs?"

this may be confidential, but ooma should know how many calls it received out of all users requesting to replace a broken hub. I don't think they will disclose that info, and essentially that is what we need to know for peace of mind!
#20367 by MWPollard
Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:04 pm
Considering the principle is not so much "free service" as "prepaid service", I would feel much more secure if ooma would sell equipment, which normally includes service, to existing users at a steep discount, provided the old equipment cannot be reused.

For instance, what if my hub does go out. Ideally, they could sell the replacement hub at cost (say, $50, estimated based on typical network device prices), considering that the advertising/service/overhead costs were covered by the first unit. Alternatively, they could decide to use a more analytical approach: If the service cost is similar to MagicJack and five years of service are considered in the equipment retail (5 years x $20/year = $100), they could sell me a replacement hub for $100 instead of the retail $200. Hopefully, if they decided to go the second route, they would throw in a year of Premier for my trouble.

Obviously, the ID of the old device would be deactivated and not eligible for reactivation.

Selling at cost would be much preferable, but either would be better than paying retail. Retail sales include new service (new phone number, etc) that I don't need.
#20370 by MWPollard
Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:12 pm
Similar, though maybe not as steep, discounts would also be appreciated for upgrades. I bought my hub/scout combo recently, and now they are coming out with a Telo. And they have a new Telo planned for next year.

But I'd rather not have to buy redundant service just to get the upgraded hardware.

If they would give a discount/trade-in value for old equipment, users would be much happier and much more willing to buy the new stuff.

For instance, if they would sell an existing hub owner a Telo for, say, $75 instead of $150, existing users would have more incentive to upgrade. And ooma wouldn't be out anything anyway, since the difference pays for the service, which the user already had.
#20371 by southsound
Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:13 pm
I think that selling at cost is so capitalistic! Why not sell it for $50 less than cost so they can make it up on the added volume? Or what about they give every household in America an ooma device as an offer of good will?

Or, just maybe, we let the marketing folks at ooma make good decisions that will provide a stellar product with great innovation to a willing market at a fair price? I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid 18 months ago. How about if Honda gives me a new one for cost in another year. Or maybe I get $4500 for junking my old one so I can buy a new one. (Wait... didn't that just happen?) :razz:

By the way, France has the right idea. They just made an adjustment to their GDP rating system to include a "happiness" factor. And they want other countries to follow suit! Makes me happy! :shock:

Edit: Michael, I just read the introduction to your website and we agree on our purpose in life and first love. I just feel that a company needs to make a fair profit to succeed and your posts seem to infer that giving away product for cost (not to cover lots of R&D, etc.) is a good decision. So on many things we agree - regarding ooma, not so much.
#20374 by MWPollard
Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:20 pm
But Honda will give you a good trade-in value for your two-year old car, letting you buy the new one at a significant discount, maybe even less than the manufacturing cost of the new one...

But you can't reuse the old one yourself. They keep it.
southsound wrote:I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid 18 months ago. How about if Honda gives me a new one for cost in another year. Or maybe I get $4500 for junking my old one so I can buy a new one. (Wait... didn't that just happen?) :razz:

Edit: southsound, I don't want ooma to give away the initial product at cost, just the replacement. Or more specifically, I just don't want them to charge me a second (or third, or fourth) time for a service for which I already paid.