Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#14141 by Vtec525
Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:22 am
I recently got my ooma setup and had it for 2 weeks already and love it.

Very easy to setup and so on and so forth. However, while ooma says it is free for life, we all know that means for the LIFE OF THE HUB. So I was paying $10/mo for phone service, and decided to buy this to make out in the long run. (my return on investment comes after 2yrs)

However, I am curious if the hubs have gone through vigorous tests to see if they can last.

I worked for a video phone company and we put our phones to brutal tests to make sure they can last a long time for customers. We left them in heated rooms (140degs) for years and made sure it still worked.

We did the drop tests, the power off, on tests repeatedly and well you catch my drift.

I hope ooma has done the same types of tests. I understand they have a 3yr warranty for $70. But after paying $240 for my system, and $40 to port my number in, and then to pay $70 for 3yrs warranty, it gets to add up and at what point do I question this? What if I even pay for the warranty and it dies on the 4th yr?

My point is these products should last at a minimum 5yrs if not more turned on without any problems, unless it is a lemon and defective product from the start. At least this way I can get 3yrs free phone service even if I buy another hub in 5yrs.

My video phone has been plugged in at my home for 4yrs now without ANY issues whatsoever.

I have an old VCR just left on for 8yrs or more now. Still works.

I guess im just wishing this 'NO BILLS FOREVER' phrase does make me feel good after some time.

Has anyone had a hub for 3yrs or more now without issues? I know this is a young company so i dont think anyone can have it longer than 3...

Feel free to chime in on this topic. I was debating on buying the magicjack, but opted for this because it does not need a PC. But truthfully, my PC remains on 24/7. I could have spent $20/yr for the magicjack. I told my friend who has the magicjack to get ooma, but he said he won't see a return on investment for 10yrs and felt it was not worth it. Well I hope ooma (company) and the hub can last a long time. I would break a wall if I bought another hub within 2yrs.

Then I don't see service this spreading like wildfire....

thanks and fingers xxed.
Last edited by Vtec525 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
#14144 by bw1
Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:30 am
Vtec525 wrote:Has anyone had a hub for 3yrs or more now without issues? I know this is a young company so i dont think anyone can have it longer than 3...

thanks and fingers xxed.

As far as I've read, the first hubs were sent out to beta testers in July of 2007 and they were first available for purchase in September of 2007. So other than internal hubs/users, the oldest would be about 2 years. I have seen some users who were beta testers who say their hubs are still going and I haven't seen any complaints about hubs failing prematurely.

I have seen some complaints of defective hubs that were replaced by the company.

I have seen other complaints and the product was returned before the problem was resolved. I suspect some of those were ISP issues that were blamed on Ooma.

I'm just wondering how you had phone service for only $10 per month?
#14145 by Vtec525
Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:56 am
I had purchased a yr in advance and 2nd yr was free, so it became $10/mnth over 2yrs.

I thought the company has been around since 2005? Wow 2007 makes this company an infant...

So in 5yrs we will know for sure.
#14147 by Vtec525
Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:11 pm
That would be nice if ooma replaces a hub free of charge if someone is a premier customer...

However, what drew me to ooma is the FREE for life part.

So I would at least like 5yrs MINIMUM full functionality from my device before I buy another hub. So at about $280 for entire package I got, makes it less than $5 a month, if it survived 5yrs.

I don't know, I am just hoping it is worthwhile. If I got the $100/yr premier in addition to the $280, then that is almost $400 I just spent upfront cost, not counting the ongoing $100/yr.

If I want to pay annually $100, then there are other voip providers at almost $10/mo that do not require a PC and that will PORT your # over without a cost.

With ooma, the object here is to save.

To ooma: (If you lowered your annual subscription fee by 50%, I am sure you will see an increase in premier signups by 50%). Or it should be $8.33/mo if you opt MONTH to MONTH, or $60 for full year in advance, making it just $5/mo. More people will signup since it is a lot upfront costs here.
#14150 by Aveamantium
Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:34 pm
If you sign up for the Premier Service they will port your number for free (or should I say 1 number port is included in the Premier Service).
#14153 by Vtec525
Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:55 pm
Yea i know they port it if you are premier, but to pay close to $400 up front is a lot of money! Especially when i was at $10/mo, and services like skype and magicjack are like $20/yr.

Ooma's firepower is the phrase FREE FOR LIFE, aka DISSAPPEARING PHONE BILL... with the premier, it does not dissappear!
#14154 by Aveamantium
Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:03 pm
Vtec525 wrote:Yea i know they port it if you are premier, but to pay close to $400 up front is a lot of money! Especially when i was at $10/mo, and services like skype and magicjack are like $20/yr.

Ooma's firepower is the phrase FREE FOR LIFE, aka DISSAPPEARING PHONE BILL... with the premier, it does not dissappear!

I can't disagree with you and about 75% of the users do not get the Premier Service. However, the Premier Service is a big component to the "ooma business model" so the extra enticements (e.g., extended warranty support) doesn't hurt the cause.

I'm with you though, the initial investment is not trivial so hopefully the equipment will last. Keeping my fingers crossed as well! ;)
#14170 by niknak
Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:59 pm
...Ooma's firepower is the phrase FREE FOR LIFE, aka DISSAPPEARING PHONE BILL... with the premier, it does not dissappear!...

Dialtone is free for life, along with call waiting and voicemail.
Anything extra is not free, why should it be if it incurs costs?

Premier rates are quite reasonable compared to Telco rates, surcharges,and tariffs
#14173 by murphy
Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:28 pm
I was paying Vonage $47 per month for two limited (500 minutes per month) phone lines. That's $564 per year.
Ooma cost me $240 + $100 for Premier which gives me two unlimited (3000 minutes per month) lines for $340 for the first year. I save $224 in the first year compared to Vonage's cost. Every year after that I save $464 compared to Vonage's cost.