Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#13979 by crwmlw
Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:39 pm
Hi does anyone know why I cant see the caller ID on the tv using directv as my dish provider using ooma? I thought ooma says it supports this but it sure aint working. Thanks, Chuck

I have the wall plug to the wall jack and phone to phone like it says to do.
#13981 by crwmlw
Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:09 pm
Ok here is my follow up. I tried splitting the phone output on the back of the hub. 1 line to wall jack and other line to phone. Caller Id's and other phones work without scout. Now after its set up that way I can be talking on the phone and all of a sudden it gets muffled and as were having a conversation we hear a dial tone while talking then the call drops. What the heck
#13992 by crwmlw
Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:24 am
Yes I do still have at&t hooked up until I decide if Im going to stay with ooma. So the active landline wire is still hooked up to the box outside. Sorry did you mean If I do have a current landline service I SHOULD DISCONNECT it right? You said if not I should. I assume a typo? :-) Also am I doing this right by not using the wall jack on the hub to wall plate bypassing it then splitting the phone jack on the hub? 1 line to wall plate and the other to the phone next to the hub?
#13994 by bw1
Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:07 am
No I meant what I said. Since you have a landline from AT&T, if you disconnect from the demarc box, you'll lose your landline service. If you want to disconnect it temporarily to test it out, you could do that.

If you didn't have a landline, then disconnecting your house wiring from demarc box, would remove any potential interference.

Since you have a landline and you connected the phone port from the Ooma hub to the wall jack in you house, you're going to run into problems with the two dial tones conflicting which is what you've experienced.

In order to get caller id on your directv or to use other phones in your house while having the landline connected, you need to use the scout. Directions on setting up the scout are in the Ooma Quick Start and User Guide documentation.

The other way to get it to work is by using the 2nd line in the wiring of your house assuming that you have that wiring. You can use a L1 L2 L1+L2 splitter or a two line wall plate to access the 2nd line.
#13996 by crwmlw
Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:24 am
Ok I understand now. Im looking at leaving at&t because the landline service is way too high. My goal now is to try ooma without the landline service at all. This way if I like ooma I can port my number over and then call at&t to cancel. Right now I have my current landline service call forwarded to the ooma number. So if I go outside and unplug the landline from the box can I then set up the phone jack of the hub to split those 2 ways? I would really like the caller ID on directv as well as not having to buy 2 more scouts for the other phones. Would this be the way around it? So It would be safe to say that when I was trying this out yesterday and had the landline service still attached I was running into those problems because of 2 dial tones? Even though I have it on call forwarding? Thanks again for your help
#13997 by bw1
Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:40 am
crwmlw wrote:Ok I understand now. Im looking at leaving at&t because the landline service is way too high. My goal now is to try ooma without the landline service at all. This way if I like ooma I can port my number over and then call at&t to cancel. Right now I have my current landline service call forwarded to the ooma number. So if I go outside and unplug the landline from the box can I then set up the phone jack of the hub to split those 2 ways? I would really like the caller ID on directv as well as not having to buy 2 more scouts for the other phones. Would this be the way around it? So It would be safe to say that when I was trying this out yesterday and had the landline service still attached I was running into those problems because of 2 dial tones? Even though I have it on call forwarding? Thanks again for your help

Yes and you can check this by connecting a phone to the the wall jack and you will have a dial tone. Call forwarding will not affect the dial tone on the line.

Since you're forwarding your calls, you can disconnect the landline. Just realize that all your calls will be using Ooma.

When you activated Ooma, did you select a new phone number or did you select to use your existing number/landline?
#13998 by crwmlw
Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:55 am
I am using a number ooma gave me so I can try the service first before I port it over. So now I have my landline disconnected at the box and that number forwarded to the ooma number. My goal is to temporarily take the landline out of the picture and use strictly ooma. So basically connecting the phone port to the wall jack will eliminate the use for scouts? Which Is why ooma doesnt tell you that right?
#14000 by Groundhound
Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:09 am
crwmlw wrote:I am using a number ooma gave me so I can try the service first before I port it over. So now I have my landline disconnected at the box and that number forwarded to the ooma number. My goal is to temporarily take the landline out of the picture and use strictly ooma. So basically connecting the phone port to the wall jack will eliminate the use for scouts? Which Is why ooma doesnt tell you that right?

The scout can be used for second line assignment and also to extend the answering machine features to another area of your home. I use my scouts on my home's line2 wiring for that reason. I have my hub's phone port connected to my home's line1 wiring for use with fax and DirectTv caller ID.
#14001 by crwmlw
Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:13 am
Thank you. I know Im not interested in a second line. If I have the phone port of the hub connected to the wall jack to feed the rest of the home can I still use the scout on the main line to have the answering machine say in our bedroom? I know a lot of people have different set up's. The way Im trying to get mine setup is to have the caller Id's to work on directv, the fax machine. 1 cordless phone base with additional handsets and 2 wired phones on wall plates. The main cordless phone base is right next to the ooma hub. So I have the landline disconnected and the ooma hub phone port is using a splitter, 1 line to wall port feeding the rest of the home and the other line goes to the cordless base. I hope this is ok?
Last edited by crwmlw on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.