Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#13843 by LARRY
Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:05 pm
Please allow less than 7 or 10 digit phone numbers to be added to the personal black list or allow ability to completely block all non 7 or 10 digit phone numbers to be blocked as allowed private numbers. I ran to your service (premier) to stop my harassment from a rouge telemarketer; they simply modified their tactics.
#13947 by scoutconnor
Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:36 am
LARRY wrote:Please allow less than 7 or 10 digit phone numbers to be added to the personal black list or allow ability to completely block all non 7 or 10 digit phone numbers to be blocked as allowed private numbers. I ran to your service (premier) to stop my harassment from a rouge telemarketer; they simply modified their tactics.

This has been discussed before and would be a great feature, although I'm not sure if it will actually become a feature in the near future.
#13952 by LARRY
Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:08 am
One of the reasons I upgrade to Ooma Primer was to eliminate rouge telemarketers; what value is it if I can't eliminate them especially if they need only adjust their outgoing number to bypass any safeguards.

If Ooma can prevent private numbers from ringing through, it seems a simple task to add any non-compliant phone number to be treated similarly.

I suspect those like me would who are fed up with telemarketers would feel similarly.

The "Do Not Call Registry" doesn’t work; the Ooma system is elegant and valuable, how about making it more valuable so the word of mouth can make Ooma the ‘go-to’ solution for the masses who want to end the telemarketing abuse!
#13953 by bw1
Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am
Since you have Premier you can use the community blacklist to block too. If you've already set that up, you may be blocking many telemarketers that you don't even know about.

My understanding is that Ooma has added many numbers to the community blacklist based on calls made to their unused DID pool.

Hopefully soon, the improvements to the blacklist and call logs will be coming and you'll be able to add those additional numbers and see what's being blocked already.
#13957 by LARRY
Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:51 am
Yes, I have enacted the ‘National Blacklist’ and the 'Personal Blacklist', no doubt it has helped but for how long; if solicitors only need modify their outgoing number to 1-6 digits that would effectively negate any and all blacklists, national, private or other.

NOT being able to add non-compliant numbers under 10-digits will give solicitors a green light and roadmap to circumvent the value of Ooma’s blacklist.

This is why I’m commenting (and will continue commenting) on the value of adding all non-compliant phone numbers.
#13962 by scoutconnor
Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:33 am
LARRY wrote:Yes, I have enacted the ‘National Blacklist’ and the 'Personal Blacklist', no doubt it has helped but for how long; if solicitors only need modify their outgoing number to 1-6 digits that would effectively negate any and all blacklists, national, private or other.

NOT being able to add non-compliant numbers under 10-digits will give solicitors a green light and roadmap to circumvent the value of Ooma’s blacklist.

This is why I’m commenting (and will continue commenting) on the value of adding all non-compliant phone numbers.

Voicing your opinion is fine but please try not to bog down the forums with this concept. It has been discussed before and ooma is aware of the issue. Try to use a thread where this was discussed before instead of adding new threads.
#13980 by LARRY
Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:40 pm
Oh, sorry for voicing my opinion on the value or lack there of regarding Ooma premiere.

Is this the typical opinion/voice of Ooma when confronted with a dissenting thought? “…not to bog down the forums with this concept”

Again, allowing non-compliant phone numbers through the ‘blacklist’ (personal or community) effectively circumvents the value of the ‘community blacklist’ which allows telemarketers to side-step the firewall set-up by Ooma by simply replacing their 10-digit number with 'ANYTHING'.

I would think the powers that safeguard us, the users, would be please to know this weakness is present.

In the voice of the comedian Steve Martin…. EXCUSSSSEEEE MEEEEEE!

If Ooma feels writing a few lines of code to help alleviate the ability of telemarketers through to us, the users of Ooma Premiere; then illustrate this in the advertisement by outlining the limits of Premiere within the verbiage that broadcasts the value of upgrading to Premiere.

Charging without representation is akin to the Boston Tea Party - oh yes, I may be out on a limb, but you created this by saying I'm 'bogging down' the system.

If you are an Ooma representative, ScoutConnor, it would be a good time to back down, if you are a user of Ooma wishing to squelch a dissenting opinion then find another forum or user to harass, you won’t see me backing down because I have a different opinion than you!

In my opinion; the value of ‘forums’ is that even my opinion is valued; do not attempt to dissuade me by suggesting that I may be ‘bogging down’ the forums; it makes you seem weak by making me seem wrong by stating an opinion (which ooma premiere forums asks for).

Respectively,
Larry
#13983 by southsound
Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:38 pm
LARRY wrote:Oh, sorry for voicing my opinion on the value or lack there of regarding Ooma premiere.

Is this the typical opinion/voice of Ooma when confronted with a dissenting thought? “…not to bog down the forums with this concept”

If you are an Ooma representative, ScoutConnor, it would be a good time to back down, if you are a user of Ooma wishing to squelch a dissenting opinion then find another forum or user to harass, you won’t see me backing down because I have a different opinion than you!

In my opinion; the value of ‘forums’ is that even my opinion is valued; do not attempt to dissuade me by suggesting that I may be ‘bogging down’ the forums; it makes you seem weak by making me seem wrong by stating an opinion (which ooma premiere forums asks for).

Respectively,
Larry

I'm just a regular user - just like ScoutConnor - who loves to help other users with some of the configuration issues that may fall outside of the norm or to assist in others ways when possible. One of the reasons I have spent so much time here is that the forum is normally a place where people can give their opinions while respecting those of others. ScoutConnor is a frequent contributor who always seems to add positively to a conversation. Connor was not telling you that your problem was not important - he was merely telling you that it was important to many of us and ooma has told us (in the forum if you had bothered to search) that it will be part of a coming release.

With that knowledge, you might feel at ease. If not, then maybe ooma is not for you. This is a product that offers great value and has a technical team that is trying to even give better value to each of its users. I have nothing against a person ranting if that is what they do best. I'm sure I've left the door open to a sarcastic rant (along the Steve Martin genre) but you are certainly welcome to contribute whatever you wish to the forum. In life, we all carry a cup. When we spot a "fire" our natural reaction is to throw the contents of that cup on the fire. My question is just this - are you carring gasoline or water in your cup. I'l' choose the water, thank you.
#13984 by LARRY
Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:20 pm
Thank you for your input.

My cup is mostly full of information and questions.

If you feel my cup is full of gas or water is mostly dependent on your goals; my hope is that my ‘cup’ is neither full of gas nor water, just guidance to a better product.

My reactions are directed at comments such as;

From ScoutConnor: “This has been discussed before and would be a great feature, although I'm not sure if it will actually become a feature in the near future.” [see thread Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:36 am]

My comments are specifically tuned to “… I’m not sure if it will actually become a feature…” [sub-set of above]

My ongoing comments are specifically addressing… From ScottConnor: “…please try not to bog down the forums with this concept…” [see thread Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:33 am ]

My goal is to help guide the brilliant talent at Ooma to see value in adding non-compliant numbers to the blacklist function. I’m not influenced by those in lock-step with the marketing department who only see what they are told to see.

I see not what is but what can be.

If in fact Ooma is planning on releasing the ability to block non-compliant numbers on either ‘personal or community’ blacklists, then I welcome that input. Yet, I continue to speak my mind (respectively) even in opposition to those who feel Ooma is the ‘best’ it can be as it is currently.

I feel products can only be made better by soliciting and accepting all input, and yes, even those who have dissenting opinions, of which, based on your input, I must have.

Continued respect,
Larry