Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#13800 by alex_ncus
Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:02 am
OK, so using cell phone and ooma all of the time (and love the product). International calls are great quality and the rates are good! So would be great to 'register' my cell phone with my ooma hub so that when ooma gets a call from my cell phone, it can reroute as an outbound international call. ooma makes money by charging for international outbound calls.

so dial string from cell phone would be something like:

<my ooma number><pause key like ","><activation code>,,<international number>

Bonus is that no special required application on iPhone (or Blackberry, or ....) and supports all cell phones.

Also, by explicitly registering the cell phone, prevents others from using your ooma and using your international calling credits (unless you explicitly authorized them by registering them on your ooma portal).
#14226 by oomg
Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:33 am
alex_ncus wrote:OK, so using cell phone and ooma all of the time (and love the product). International calls are great quality and the rates are good! So would be great to 'register' my cell phone with my ooma hub so that when ooma gets a call from my cell phone, it can reroute as an outbound international call. ooma makes money by charging for international outbound calls.

so dial string from cell phone would be something like:

<my ooma number><pause key like ","><activation code>,,<international number>

Bonus is that no special required application on iPhone (or Blackberry, or ....) and supports all cell phones.

Also, by explicitly registering the cell phone, prevents others from using your ooma and using your international calling credits (unless you explicitly authorized them by registering them on your ooma portal).

For business reasons, I signed up for a toll free number from toktumi. Their system provides for the subscriber to register his cell phone number (in fact, it is linked to his cell phone) plus three other numbers. By calling my toktumi toll free number from any of my registered numbers, I can then dial out through my toll free number. My toll free number will appear on the recipient's caller ID.

As an added feature, for those who have one of the "friends and family" or "my favs" type cell phone plans, the toktumi number can be added to the favorites list, and there is no charge against the cell phone plan time for these outgoing calls.

Although I already have the toll free number from toktumi, I think ooma should consider offering them as one of the options. FWIW, toktumi charges the same for a toll free number that it charges for any other number assigned to a specific area code ($14.95/mo). So, the cost to toktumi must be the same, or at least very close. I think ooma could easily add $5 per month (maybe more) to the cost of the Premier system for a toll free incoming number which would be available only to Premier subsribers. Could be very attractive to customers who run a small business.

Likewise, a similar "dial around" feature might be attractive to potential or existing ooma customers who make a lot of cell phone calls.