Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#13059 by aguy2no
Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:40 am
I have a system in my home that would allow me to call into my home security system. I know ooma does not support security systems (and that is a shame because you would generate more business), but i think this is important also for people using their fax. As with my security system, a fax is also looking for a analog signal to receive, leaving digital as our only incoming possibility restricts fax and dialing in.
Is anyone aware of a way to make ooma stay in analog, or would the engineers at ooma make it possible to stay in analog either by a switch on the unit, or program through the phone or on our dashboard.
Thanks
aguy2no
#13077 by southsound
Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 am
Some people have had good experiences using ooma with alarm systems and fax machines so I would not assume it won't work before trying. Some tips - make sure to use the phone jack on the hub. Quality of the call seems to be better there. And add ,,*99, (that's pause, pause, *99 pause) on outgoing data calls to force the ooma to use the least compression. If you are able to throttle your fax to 9600 bps that will also help.
#13084 by aguy2no
Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:56 pm
yes, i have had good results with outbound fax, but im not sure if there would be success with incoming fax, due to the digital reception of ooma,
just like my security system has no luck with remote as it is looking for the analog signal
#13085 by but2002
Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:00 pm
aguy2no wrote:yes, i have had good results with outbound fax, but im not sure if there would be success with incoming fax, due to the digital reception of ooma,
just like my security system has no luck with remote as it is looking for the analog signal

The Ooma outputs an "Analog" signal over the telephone wires if wired properly. The Wall jack outputs a digital signal in order to communicate with the scout.

The ooma can be used for security system some of the time, just depends on some. I sucessfully initiated a dial-up connection over the ooma one time. That worked, but slowly, obviously. Just have your security technician (if you are unable to) add *99, (Including the comma!!) to the beginning of the telephone number that it uses to dial out. That should help it a lot. Also lower the bandwidth to 9600 bps if possible.
#13086 by Groundhound
Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:08 pm
aguy2no wrote:yes, i have had good results with outbound fax, but im not sure if there would be success with incoming fax, due to the digital reception of ooma,

If you need proof that the ooma phone port is analog, hook up a 30 year old phone to it - it will receive calls just fine, and if it's touch tone it will dial out just fine as well.
#20385 by MWPollard
Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:20 pm
I think the OP is having a problem with receiving data calls, not with making them. Sure, we can press *99 to place data calls (I do this with my DVR), but that doesn't help when receiving calls, like an incoming fax.

It might work if the caller could enter a code, but they would have to know that the code was needed. Further, since the code is probably needed prior to call initiation, this might still not work.

Probably a better solution, though perhaps not acceptable by ooma, would be to have an option to default a phone number to low compression, which *99 switches on a call-by-call basis. The problem is that low compression needs a better (higher bandwidth) Internet connection to work well, and any other use of the Internet will suffer significantly while a call is in process.

It's a good feature request, if ooma will go along with it. There's just a risk, from their perspective, that some stupid users will turn it on "to have the calls sound better" and will kill their Internet performance and blame ooma.