Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#12789 by blueheelercd
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:33 pm
I still cannot believe that being able to hear and monitor your calls is Premier!

Any answering machine has that ability. AT $250, all the hardware abilities should work. The ongoing service expenses, second line whatever, yes those are Premier.

Do not disturb? In this day and age, a machine that cannot do that? Premier?

It should be made really clear what features, ON THE HUB, are Primer or not!

My ooma hub is useless now! It's basically an expensive router. I have to hear who is calling.

I'm back to the answering machine in my OLD fax!

Calling FEATURES? It should be very clear which features you pay for or not ON the hub.

Not a list of impressive features. You buy a machine, the features should work.

Do not disturb is part of the machine, it should be standard.

Second line, yes, that's special, it should charged for.

That machine cost a lot of money, THE ADVANCED FEATURES are not so ADVANCED any more, at $250 it SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THOSE THINGS!!!!!!!
#12790 by but2002
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:41 pm
blueheelercd wrote:I still cannot believe that being able to hear and monitor your calls is Premier!

Any answering machine has that ability. AT $250, all the hardware abilities should work. The ongoing service expenses, second line whatever, yes those are Premier.

Do not disturb? In this day and age, a machine that cannot do that? Premier?

It should be made really clear what features, ON THE HUB, are Primer or not!

My ooma hub is useless now! It's basically an expensive router. I have to hear who is calling.

I'm back to the answering machine in my OLD fax!

Calling FEATURES? It should be very clear which features you pay for or not ON the hub.

Not a list of impressive features. You buy a machine, the features should work.

Do not disturb is part of the machine, it should be standard.

Second line, yes, that's special, it should charged for.

That machine cost a lot of money, THE ADVANCED FEATURES are not so ADVANCED any more, at $250 it SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THOSE THINGS!!!!!!!

The $250 is not to pay for the features, your'e getting a FREE phone service. That is not free for the company that drives ooma. They have to be able to pay for those costs somehow, and The price of the ooma package + premier subscribers is how they get that money.
#12800 by scottlindner
Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:25 pm
This has come up a couple of times before. I think where people feel irked is that if you are a traditional phone user, you own your own answering machine and are willing to continue using it. Since you cannot turn off the Ooma Voice Mail feature (and setting it to 59 seconds will cause you to miss messages) you have no choice but to use Ooma's VM system. So you feel a bit taken by the situation. On the other side of the argument is that all VOIP providers do it this way, so it isn't like Ooma is doing anything out of the ordinary.

I was upset about it too when I thought I was destined for Basic service.

Scott
#12808 by Groundhound
Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:48 am
The retail package makes it clear what features are part of ooma Premier, including specifically call screening and do not disturb. It also says that a 60-day free trial of Premier is included (on my box), from which you can infer that after 60 days it would no longer be free - it wasn't a concern for me as I read about the Premier service at some length on this web site and others and decided that I wanted to subscribe before I purchased it. Perhaps they should go an additional step an add a statement to the retail box that after the free trial period Premier services carry an additional charge.
#12810 by niknak
Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:56 am
For $250 you are getting free local and long distance calling. You need to understand the pricing structure for OOMA's business model.
As the others have said, it is all pretty clear upon setup what is free and what you pay for. You are not buying a "machine" you are buying a device to connect to the telephone network for free.
#12812 by Aveamantium
Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:05 am
When I had a POTS line it cost me nearly $30 (with taxes and fees) just to make local calls. This did not include any bells and whistles! Now if you use ooma for just a year, and let's say you paid $249 for the core system (can be found for less), then it is costing you only $20.75 per month to get local calling, long distance calling to anywhere in the US, Caller ID, Call Waiting, and anonymous call block. Not too bad in my opinion!
#12813 by Groundhound
Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 am
Another way to avoid resentment and make clear what is included in Premier would be to require users to opt-in to their free trial period after they activate, and once the trial starts send an email outlining what features are part of the free trial with periodic updates as to when those trial features will end.

Edit: One area ooma should definitely change is the User Guide, where there are no distinctions at all regarding which features are Premier.
#12823 by scottlindner
Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:00 pm
I think the real issue is VOIP expectations. Not all of us are switching from Vonage, Skype, or a local VOIP provider. Some of us are switching from traditional landline service where all you get is the dial tone. With VOIP that isn't an option since it appears all VOIP providers give you VM without any option to disable it, and charge for message screening. So it's all normal, but somehow folks that are first time VOIP users could be better prepared to manage expectations.

Scott
#13092 by quebert
Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:40 pm
scottlindner wrote:This has come up a couple of times before. I think where people feel irked is that if you are a traditional phone user, you own your own answering machine and are willing to continue using it. Since you cannot turn off the Ooma Voice Mail feature (and setting it to 59 seconds will cause you to miss messages) you have no choice but to use Ooma's VM system. So you feel a bit taken by the situation. On the other side of the argument is that all VOIP providers do it this way, so it isn't like Ooma is doing anything out of the ordinary.

I was upset about it too when I thought I was destined for Basic service.

Scott

I'm slightly confused here, if you can set when the Ooma VM picks up, why couldn't you set it higher than your phones and boom your phones answering machine picks up? My phone I can set the machine to pick up from 3-7 rings I believe. So if I wanted Ooma to not pick up I'd set it for 1 ring higher than my phone, and problem solved.