Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#12777 by 00ma
Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:22 pm
It appears ooma hub has the ability to intercept setup.ooma.com and serve the setup pages from the hub's internal web server.

Can we have the ability to intercept our own registrar domain names (e.g. mywebsite.org) to resolve to IPs in the LAN side of our router in a [MODEM] - [OOMA HUB] - [ROUTER] configuration if accessing these domain names from a LAN machine?

I need this done with DNS domain names and not IPs as my web server handles multiple domains with it's given single IP.

Currently, it does not matter which registrar's domain name I own and host on my network, it all brings up the setup.ooma.com page.
#12857 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:12 am
Ooma doesn't "intercept" setup.ooma.com. It adds "setup.ooma.com" it to its local DNS server. I have never done this, but I believe there is a way to add your other domain names to the DNS server without any help from Ooma. I completely forget the name of the protocol now. I will try to dig it up. It is something I have been meaning to look into for adding fully qualified domain names to all of my machines on my local network.

Scott
#12858 by 00ma
Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:00 am
Scott, that would be great if I can add my hostnames to be resolved by OOMA DNS servers also.

OK, so what you are saying is that for each account (i.e. each of us), on the OOMA server, it takes the IP from our internet provider and maps our internet IP to resolve to setup.ooma.com? How does it do this for each one of us, i.e. it is done for each tunnel? I guess that part does not matter whether it is done in the Hub or OOMA server if I can get the ability to do my own.
#12860 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:14 am
No. That is not what I am saying. If you want that sort of capability you'll need to pay for Dynamic DNS service from a company such as DynDNS.org

What I am saying is that your Ooma Hub has a DNS server in it. Nearly all consumer routers have DNS servers in them. It is done mostly for performance reasons, but there are other reasons as well. Such as for making the setup.ooma.com work. Instead of each machine on your LAN going directly to your ISP's DNS server (slow performance each time you resolve a hostname) you go to your DNS server in your router on your LAN (very fast). It is configured as a caching DNS server. The first time you look up something it has seen before it looks up on the ISP's DNS servers, and then keeps a local copy for performance reasons. There is an expiration date set to ensure you aren't using stale data, but I don't know how that works.

When you first boot up any machine it looks for a DHCP server to ask for an IP address. During this request you are also provided your DNS server to use. So our home routers (including the Ooma Hub) are designed so the DHCP server is aware of the DNS server. That's how this happens so easily. These integrated devices that we call routers have a lot going on in them. They are far more than just routers.

So.. what you want to do is use BIND or something like that to tell your Ooma Hub's DNS server the internal LAN IP address of your servers so when you do a lookup on that domain name, you go directly to it.

Another option is to pay for a dynamic DNS provider like I mentioned above, but then you'll need a router that support NAT Loopback but the Ooma Hub does not support NAT Loopback so this will not work for you.

Keep the questions coming. I'll try my best to answer them.

Scott
#12861 by 00ma
Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:26 am
OK, that makes more sense.

I think the issue I am having is the NAT loopback which OOMA does not support as without the OOMA hub between my modem and router, any site domain name I type in is appropriately resolved to the same web server I have which then uses Apache to serve the correct web application.

I was really hoping not to have to setup and maintain BIND. Is there any other option than putting the OOMA hub behind the router? I fear doing this as I don't think my router (which is the DLink one AT&T Callvantage had given to me which I don't need to return) has the QoS capability to shape and prioritize the voice traffic from one of it's LAN ports.

Also, I already have a service like dyndns, but does not work for this purpose as they just resolve the multiple domain names I host to point to my ISP IP.

Again, all works OK from outside my network, it is just inside my network where I have issues.
#12864 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:17 am
00ma wrote:OK, that makes more sense.

I think the issue I am having is the NAT loopback which OOMA does not support as without the OOMA hub between my modem and router, any site domain name I type in is appropriately resolved to the same web server I have which then uses Apache to serve the correct web application.

I was really hoping not to have to setup and maintain BIND. Is there any other option than putting the OOMA hub behind the router? I fear doing this as I don't think my router (which is the DLink one AT&T Callvantage had given to me which I don't need to return) has the QoS capability to shape and prioritize the voice traffic from one of it's LAN ports.

Also, I already have a service like dyndns, but does not work for this purpose as they just resolve the multiple domain names I host to point to my ISP IP.

Again, all works OK from outside my network, it is just inside my network where I have issues.

Yep.. you got it. The other solution is to update the hosts files on each machine to add the domain name and LAN IP. That is what I did for years until I bought a router that supported NAT Loopback.

Scott
#12867 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:55 am
Is your web server on your LAN?

That is what I did for years. Works just fine in Windows and Linux. Doesn't work on my PS3 since I don't believe there is a hosts file accessible.

A point of clarification. The DNS server does not send the host name. Your browser does as a part of HTTP v1.1. This is how virtual hosting works. So your hosts file doesn't need to "Send" anything. It just needs to resolve the hostname to LAN IP. Which is exactly what a hosts file does.

Scott
#12869 by 00ma
Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:07 am
UPDATE: That worked! Not sure how to do it in my iphone, but at least it will work for the machines which are needed to connect and maintain those sites.

THANK YOU!!!!