Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#12672 by gollywobbler
Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:15 am
Since 5/31/09 I have had echo problems whenever two phones are used at the same source. Singly there is no problem, but as soon as a second phone joins the conversation the echo appears at both ends of the conversation. My landline has been discontinued, but the initial landline is still connected in the basement of my condo and I have no access to the entry point. On the Newegg website, one reviewer said he "reverse lit" whatever that means, and has no problems. Tech support blames the wiring in my condo and offered no other solution except to spend additional money to correct the problem. If you've gotten this far check out http://mi-telecom.org/distribute.html. Admiral
#12688 by bw1
Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:40 am
First of all, reverse lit is referring to distributing the dial tone throughout the house by connecting the phone port on the ooma hub to your wall jack in the house as referenced in the link you attached. Do you have that setup currently? Is the phone company landline still connected to the wiring which would be supplying a small voltage to the wiring in the condo. That could be causing your problem.

Describe in more detail the two phones that your using that cause the echo. Are they both connected to the hub or the same scout? Are they cordless phones or corded phones? If cordless, what frequency - 900 MHz, 2.4, 5.8 GHz or Dect 6.0?

Do you have a wireless router?

It's possible that you just need to turn the volume down on the phone since the echo could be caused from the noise from the speaker enter back into the microphone. Although that should only be a problem if using only one phone.
#12694 by gollywobbler
Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:04 pm
To bw1---Thank you for your quick reply. I was told to connect the WALL port on the hub to the wall jack, and yes, the landline is still connected. If I connect the PHONE port on the hub to the wall jack, as you suggested, the line is completely dead.
#12724 by bw1
Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:53 pm
Are you using a scout connected to a wall jack in another room?

Try connecting the scout directly to the hub using the wall port on both and see if that clears up the echo.
#12750 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:34 am
gollywobbler wrote: Tech support blames the wiring in my condo and offered no other solution except to spend additional money to correct the problem.

Since you've tried bw1's suggestion and eliminated condo wiring as a possible cause, sounds like it's time to get tech support back on the case.
#12756 by tjnamtiw
Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:11 am
Yesterday and today I am also getting a very bad echo when calling someone. I've had my ooma for quite some time and very rarely do I or the person I call get echoes. I wonder if it has something to do with ooma's end...??? I have my upspeed set to actual. The echo today is on my Scout but this is the first time in months that it has happened.

Don't necessarily assume it's on your end if it has been working.
#12787 by gollywobbler
Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:46 pm
to Groundhound--The last time I spoke to tech was 6/5. Tech said he would speak to higher authority in re problem and he promised to call back on 6/6. I am still waiting for the call. So much for ooma tech. I live in a gated community of 712 individuals, thus everyone would have the same problem: i.e. no access to telephone connection from street. I'll have to write an article for our monthly bulletin.
#12794 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:27 pm
gollywobbler wrote:to Groundhound--The last time I spoke to tech was 6/5. Tech said he would speak to higher authority in re problem and he promised to call back on 6/6. I am still waiting for the call. So much for ooma tech. I live in a gated community of 712 individuals, thus everyone would have the same problem: i.e. no access to telephone connection from street. I'll have to write an article for our monthly bulletin.

Gee, if someone promised to call me back about a tech support issue more than a month ago, and I wanted to hear from them, I'd have called them way before now - but that's just me. If you have proven that the structure wiring is not the problem by connecting the hub and scout directly, then it seems you have something new to relate to tech support.