Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#12428 by twarner776
Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:31 pm
I know this has been covered but I can seem to find the right thread. I would like to put my hub behind my router. The bad part is the router does not support QOS. Can i still do this? And if so what ports have to be forwarded for to its ip so the service will still work? Last but not least, if this can be done does the phone service run full throttle since there is no QOS or is it limited somewhere?

Thanks
#12429 by scottlindner
Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:54 pm
Very good questions.

It is very easy to put it behind your router. It's as simple as plugging it in and it'll work. Be sure to use the Modem port and not the Computer port.

As for QoS. What make/model do you have? Some routers do QoS automatically. Also, if you have the stomach for it, there is alternative open source router firmware and your router may support it. Several of us on this forum have found very good results with an open source firmware, but making the switch isn't for everyone.

I ran Ooma behind my router without QoS for a while. It works just fine unless you are doing something else that might cause a problem. For a long time we never had an issue. If you do a lot of file sharing, forget about making a call without QoS. If you just surf the net and read email, you may be just fine because the odds of making a call and surfing the net at the same time are very low. When I did this, the call did not drop, it just kinda broke up.

Welcome to Ooma!

Cheers,
Scott
#12431 by twarner776
Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:00 pm
I have a apple airport extreme. The biggest reason for wanting it this was is because I have a FTP and web server off the router. there is a feature mainly in the FTP server that says anyone that tries to connect and enters password wrong 5 times block their ip for "X" number of days. when I use port forwarding within ooma to get to my router every connection appears as it is coming from the ooma device. so if some tries to get to my FTP server I get blocked out until I get home to fix it.
#12438 by scottlindner
Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:36 pm
Wow..bizarre situation. I suspect you'll have problems when people are downloading from your FTP server. The FTP protocol is very lean and efficient, it can easily saturate your upstream. Does your FTP server have the ability to throttle the upstream rate?

You will want to try talking to someone while someone is downloading from your FTP site to see what happens to call quality. If you're lucky, you won't notice anything.

Would you be adverse to another router that does do QoS if it comes down to it?

Scott
#12455 by scottlindner
Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:47 am
I was just thinking about this situation some more. I believe the Ooma Hub has a DHCP server and NATing router built in. You may be able to use just the Ooma Hub and not your other router at all.

Cheers,
Scott
#12465 by frank1
Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:50 am
Something doesn't make sense here... Isn't the Apple Airport Extreme the one made by Apple with all the bells & whistles? Draft-N, Simultaneous Dual Band, Gigabyte ethernet ports, etc. With a price tag close to 200 dollars.

It seems like that would have QOS right out of the box. Maybe you need to go to the apple website and download and flash the latest firmware or something.
#12466 by twarner776
Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:23 am
scottlindner wrote:I was just thinking about this situation some more. I believe the Ooma Hub has a DHCP server and NATing router built in. You may be able to use just the Ooma Hub and not your other router at all.

Cheers,
Scott

I need the router for wireless as well. Im not opposed to getting a new one but currently I have the hub behind the router and working. Not speed tests yet. The only thing i cant do now is access the ooma interface. I tried setup.ooma.com and also the ip which in my case is 10.0.1.11 and I have also tried the ip with port 80 attached to the end.
#12467 by WayneDsr
Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:35 am
Connect a pc or laptop to the HOME port on the ooma hub. Type in setup.ooma.com. Go into the advanced area and add ooma's ip to ooma's dmz.

After that you should be able to access the hub from your network using the ip from the router. (10.0.1.11)

There is really no need to access the hub since it is behind the router and no longer has control.
ALSO:
If you decided to put ooma in front of the router make sure you clear that DMZ entry, it will put your network at risk.

Wayne
#12474 by scottlindner
Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:05 am
twarner776 wrote:
scottlindner wrote:I was just thinking about this situation some more. I believe the Ooma Hub has a DHCP server and NATing router built in. You may be able to use just the Ooma Hub and not your other router at all.

Cheers,
Scott

I need the router for wireless as well. Im not opposed to getting a new one but currently I have the hub behind the router and working. Not speed tests yet. The only thing i cant do now is access the ooma interface. I tried setup.ooma.com and also the ip which in my case is 10.0.1.11 and I have also tried the ip with port 80 attached to the end.

You can still use it as a wireless access point, but not as your router.

As I am thinking about it, for your current situation you may want to put the Ooma Hub first and use it as your router, then use a switch/hub to connect your computers, and connect the wireless router into that and use it for wireless only. I say this only because it does not do QoS. If it does QoS, I would put it first.

The suggestion to get another router was due to the fact i forgot the Ooma Hub includes a basic router.

If I am confusing things now let me know and we'll start from the beginning.

Scott
#12613 by koehn
Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:46 am
You probably already know this, but have you considered dumping FTP in favor of a secure protocol like sftp (which is built on top of ssh)? It's built in to Mac OS X, doesn't have the horrible port-mapping issues that FTP has, and if you set yourself up for key-based authentication you don't need to worry about bad guys trying to guess your passwords.

Just a thought...