Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#12387 by BryanS
Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:49 pm
I had an existing toll free number assigned to my landline number. I had my landline number ported over to Ooma. The toll free number is actually assigned to the phone number and it doesn't matter who the carrier is. I am billed by the company offering the toll free service, not ooma. I just wanted to let people know that inbound toll free service works though ooma's VOIP.

If you have a home based business or small business, you do not have to give up the toll free service. It was a major concern and I delayed the switch to ooma about 6 months due to not knowing if it would work.

I do not use anywhere close to the 3000 minutes a month limit. That is 50 hours of talk time.
#12389 by southsound
Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:37 pm
BryanS wrote:I had an existing toll free number assigned to my landline number. I had my landline number ported over to Ooma. The toll free number is actually assigned to the phone number and it doesn't matter who the carrier is. I am billed by the company offering the toll free service, not ooma. I just wanted to let people know that inbound toll free service works though ooma's VOIP.

This is great news for those who have an 800 service and have concerns like you did. Was the 800 assigned through a third-party 800 service? How does it compare to the telco's offering - minute cost and monthly cost? Thank you for sharing your experience.

And welcome to ooma! The only thing you're going to miss is the thick envelope that used to contain your landline bill.
#12405 by BryanS
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:26 pm
AT&T wanted somewhere around .25 per minute and offered discounts if you went over 1000 minutes.

There are plenty of providers out there if you Google them. I have been using Unitel Communications for the last 7 years. 3.9 cents a minute in Ca. and the rate varies from state to state. My average toll free bill is about $10-$12 a month. The toll free number did increase sales and does offer a professional "big company" look without the big cost. Quality seems the same. I can't tell the difference.

I found this site which has several 800 providers to compare http://riveroffers.com/toll_free.html?crid=43907 although I am sure depending on what state you are in, there are other providers out there. It took a long time to sift through the junk while searching toll free providers on Google. http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS300&q=toll+free+provider&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq= If you have the time, you could probably find a better or equal deal.