Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#12360 by wmgmick
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:27 am
I’m a new Ooma customer. I’m considering porting my existing land line phone number to my Ooma system and ditching my phone company altogether. The one issue that I’m having a real problem with is how to continue to have my phone number listed in the next edition of the residential white pages of my local phone directories. Because of my contacts in my local community it’s imperative that it be listed. I have spend endless hours making calls to the local phone company and the people who publish the directories; and no one seems to know how to handle my situation. They continue to insist that my “new phone company” will do this for me. I tell them that I don’t really have a phone company and that Ooma doesn’t provide this service. They say that if it is possible (perhaps as a “foreign listing”), there probably would be a fee similar to a listing in the Yellow pages. Is there any way that this service can be considered by Ooma to be included it the future? I might be running out of time to do this because it won’t be long until the deadline comes up for new listings to be included in the next editions of these directories.
#12391 by bw1
Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:11 pm
I can tell you that my number was listed with AT&T and I just received the new Yellow Pages/White Pages phone book yesterday and it is no longer listed after porting out in April. However, it is still listed in a number of online sites including AT&T's online yellow pages.

One thing you could consider is to keep your landline and either have it integrated with ooma or forwarded to ooma. Check with your landline phone company and see what the absolute cheapest service they can set you up with.

Here is some discussion from back in March that includes a quote from the FAQ that is no longer on ooma's website.

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=4956

This is from ooma's TOS:
(j) No Directory Listing. If you do not connect your phone to a landline and receive a phone number from us, it will not be listed in any telephone directory. As a result, someone with your phone number may not be able to utilize a reverse directory to lookup your address.

Here is some info where someone else is trying to do the same thing:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,21166162?hilite=white+pages
#12400 by wmgmick
Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:58 pm
Thanks for the prompt feedback and links bw1.
I read through everything and it sounds like there are quite a few others just as frustrated as I am on this issue and they haven’t found an solution either. I’ve called many 800 numbers talking with Verizon, Yellow pages, White pages, Mettel (my current provider), Ooma, etc. with no positive results. My next step will be to contact the FCC and our Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. There has to be an answer to this situation and if there currently isn’t one, then they need to address it. As far as I’m concerned this is an obstacle to telephone de-regulation and competition. I have investigated keeping my existing land line and integrating it with Ooma with the cheapest plan available just as you suggested. That will cost $15.00+ per month with more than half of that being the fix surcharge of $8.38 (FCC Charges, Interstate Recovery Fee, Portability, Regulatory Recovery Fee). I might sound like a cheap skate but I think that’s a lot just to have my number published in the white pages. There would be no other reason for me to have the land line phone service. My cell phone would be my back up to 911 if the internet or power goes down.
#12401 by southsound
Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:22 pm
wmgmick wrote:Thanks for the prompt feedback and links bw1.
I read through everything and it sounds like there are quite a few others just as frustrated as I am on this issue and they haven’t found an solution either. I’ve called many 800 numbers talking with Verizon, Yellow pages, White pages, Mettel (my current provider), Ooma, etc. with no positive results. My next step will be to contact the FCC and our Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. There has to be an answer to this situation and if there currently isn’t one, then they need to address it. As far as I’m concerned this is an obstacle to telephone de-regulation and competition.

You are 100% correct and it is great to have a crusader on our side who will be a thorn to the establishment (ATT and their various offspring). As a prior ATT employee who was also part of divistiture and Pacific Telesis, I still see way too much monopoly for my liking. Thank you for taking this issue to what ever length you feel led. We're behind you and agree with your cause.

And lest I forget, welcome to ooma!
#23438 by foxkid
Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:40 pm
Is there an answer to the white pages listing problem? My wife won't let me switch to any company where we can not have our phone number listed in the local directory.
#23441 by niknak
Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:44 pm
...No Directory Listing. If you do not connect your phone to a landline and receive a phone number from us, it will not be listed in any telephone directory. As a result, someone with your phone number may not be able to utilize a reverse directory to lookup your address...
#23521 by jazzyone
Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:37 pm
on the flip side....

I pay about $2.00 extra every month to keep my landline phone number unlisted. I'm in the process of porting that number. I like the fact that I don't have to pay extra for this service.
#23625 by wmgmick
Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:31 pm
Okay, here’s the scoop. I’m from Pennsylvania and Verizon is the dominate land line phone company in our area. Because of this they have the most widely distributed phone directory with white pages for this area. We also have the Yellow Book directory in this area. At one time I was a Verizon phone land line customer but about 8 years ago I switched to Mettel (much cheaper). Mettel made sure that my number (the same one that I had when I was with Verizon) would continue to be published in the local directories after they ported my number to their system. When I went with the Ooma phone earlier this year I hesitated in giving up my land line because I need to be published in the local directories and Ooma says they won’t (or can’t?) make that happen. Finding my number only on the internet isn’t an option for a lot of folks who need to contact me; they’ll go to their graves still using the old phone book directory. When I contacted Yellow Book they told me they would be happy to make sure my number was published in their directory and at no cost to me. The whole conversation took about 3 minutes. They are great folks and I hope their business does well. Now ------------- Verizon ------------ what a bunch of A-holes! I spend endless hours on the phone talking to at least 25 different people through their so called Customer Service about this. Not one single person, including several in management positions, provided me with a solution. The right hand knows nothing about the left hand with these Idiots. They claimed it can not be done unless you are with a land line phone company. I knew this was bullshit and I got mad as hell and wasn’t going to take it anymore! I wrote to the PA State Attorney, Public Utility Commission, the FCC, my State and US Representatives and the local news media. Once again, that was a complete waste of time and I got no resolution form these jokers either. After a couple of months of being pissed off I thought of a fellow that I got to know several years ago who works for Verizon and I called him with my story. He got back to me within an hour with the answer I was looking for. He got in touch with the right person who told him I have two options. The first but least attractive was to pay Verizon to include my number in their directory as a “Foreign Listing”. Some people who have cell phones who want to be published do this. You pay a one time fee of $15.00 and then $3.95 per month ($39.00 per year) thereafter. The second and best option is to do nothing and pay nothing. It seems that when you leave a land line phone company and keep your number (such as porting it to ooma) they do not contact the directory publishers to have your name removed unless you specifically ask them to do so. Once your number is in the directory it stays there year after year unless someone asks them to remove it. They do not take the time to purge old unused land line phone numbers from their directories even if you die and the phone line is disconnected. Now, if you give up your number and it gets assigned to another person, then obviously your name and address gets replaced with the new persons’. However, once your number is ported to Ooma (or any other company) it’s yours to keep; it can’t assigned to anyone else. Now please understand that I’m not an expert on this. I’m only going by what I was told by a very reliable source at Verizon. I don’t know if any of this applies to any other phone company and/or directory services besides Verizon. I suspect that it does because it seems logical. Anyhow, I’m going to find out if all of this is true because I completed the process of having my number ported to ooma and disconnected the phone line coming into my home. The porting took place well before the deadline for changes to the 2010 Verizon directory publication that will be distributed in January. If I’m still listed in it, then my mission will have succeeded.
#23651 by murphy
Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:39 am
Your first problem is that Verizon doesn't publish their phone directory. They spun that function off to Idearc a year or two ago.

I can confirm your observation. My phone number was originally issued by Bell Telephone in 1962. When I switched to Vonage about 5 years ago, my listing stayed in the Verizon white pages. I switched to Ooma in January of this year and my number is still in the white pages of the directory that was published this summer.

YMMV