Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#12270 by AndrewScott
Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Ooma I have requested this before but I would love to get the SIP info for my Ooma box to use through my cellphone VOIP client.

It seems the sales of MagicJack have taken off specifically because of this...

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/28/wh ... e-shelves/

The article fails to mention that tons, if not most, of these purchasers are buying this just for the SIP info.

http://magicjackhacks.blogspot.com/2007 ... -info.html

I love having my Ooma box at home and would love to use it on my cellphone on the road.

Is there anyway of working this out? Before all these potential Ooma customers runoff to MagicJack?
#12271 by Groundhound
Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:06 pm
I think if you scroll to the bottom of the comments for the second link you provided you'll find that MJ has recently disabled the ability to make calls on anything other than their adapter.
#12274 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:18 pm
AndrewScott wrote:The article fails to mention that tons, if not most, of these purchasers are buying this just for the SIP info.


As a data point. My brother uses MJ and does not use it for this capability, he uses it the same way we use Ooma.

Cheers,
Scott
#12277 by niknak
Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:18 pm
How much do you think ooma should charge for this ability, or should it be part of the free features?
#12338 by Boondocs
Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:40 pm
AndrewScott wrote:Ooma I have requested this before but I would love to get the SIP info for my Ooma box to use through my cellphone VOIP client.

It seems the sales of MagicJack have taken off specifically because of this...

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/06/28/wh ... e-shelves/

The article fails to mention that tons, if not most, of these purchasers are buying this just for the SIP info.

http://magicjackhacks.blogspot.com/2007 ... -info.html

I love having my Ooma box at home and would love to use it on my cellphone on the road.

Is there anyway of working this out? Before all these potential Ooma customers runoff to MagicJack?

ATA's no longer work with MJ at all. Good luck if you by that product.
#12583 by AndrewScott
Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:12 am
I posted that link just as a reference point.

You can see in many other places how to RIP the info you need for other dialers.

It still works. And if you scroll to the end of that link again you will now see this...


Not sure if everyone has seen this, but I was able to get my ATA working again by using the comments in this forum - http://www.magicjacksupport.com/ata-sta ... t6897.html


Sure some people use it the way they are supposed to. But I know lots of people that bought this and not one is using it with the jack. Why are people on forums so quick to shoot stuff down when they aren't a hundred percent sure.

This works as of today. I saw it work with my own eyes. And if they really go for an IPO listing now they are doing it under the false impression that a majority of their users are using this legitimately. The value is in the SIP info ported to other software.
#12584 by Aveamantium
Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:34 am
And you do understand that if using the MJ SIP info works or not, it is against their TOS! How do you think MJ's business model would survive if everyone decided to not use their device/software?

All I can say is let your conscious be your guide.
#12590 by Boondocs
Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:43 pm
yea I read that but you still need to have your pc running for the service/exe to forward the proxy. For me ooma is the way to go!!!
#12591 by scottlindner
Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:53 pm
Boondocs wrote:yea I read that but you still need to have your pc running for the service/exe to forward the proxy. For me ooma is the way to go!!!


That's why parents got Magic Jack, installed it, tried it, unplugged it, and it is still sitting on their desk today.

Scott
#12593 by Pandora
Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:34 pm
Andrew,

I looked at MagicJack before starting use of VOIP. It was and still is a non-starter. It is a violation of TOS to use use MagicJack VOIP credentials without the dongle. Anyone who feels violating TOS is trivial isn't exactly a great customer to anyone.

Ooma has justifiably been careful to protect the privacy of its SIP credentials using Open VPN to keep that data away from the public. As Ooma provides a free VOIP service for U.S. calls, if someone could clone or extract Ooma SIP data, the free plan could be ruined. This could adversely affect not only Ooma but also all Ooma customers.

The reason people extract SIP credentials from MagicJack is to run an ATA. Note, Ooma already provides and runs on an ATA.

Ooma provides toll free support, MagicJack doesn't. People will screw up their ATA settings and call complaining to Ooma support. They will lie, cause grief, say bad things about Ooma, and wreck the Ooma business plan.

Why would Ooma or its legitimate customers want to destroy a great company and business plan?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests