Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#12077 by quebert
Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:27 pm
these are both things I would pay for. The custom ring option is nice, but expand it to allow you to create your own. On my cell I have very distinct songs/tones for different people so I know who it is right away. I'm sure this has been brought up in the past sometime.

The 2nd thing, this might not even be possible or easy to implement if it is. But, have some software on the PC where you could have a photo come up on your monitor when a person calls for the caller ID. Pretty much standard on every cell phone. If I could look up and see a picture on my 24" LCD of who it was would be sweet.
#12086 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:19 am
quebert wrote:The 2nd thing, this might not even be possible or easy to implement if it is. But, have some software on the PC where you could have a photo come up on your monitor when a person calls for the caller ID. Pretty much standard on every cell phone. If I could look up and see a picture on my 24" LCD of who it was would be sweet.

There is already software that does that if you have a voice modem. Some people here have connected modems to a split off their Ooma for that reason. However, a while ago I inquired about an SDK for this reason and they said they are working on it. So hopefully once the SDK comes out the community will be able to help make fun things like this.

Cheers,
Scott
#12093 by murphy
Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:53 am
quebert wrote:these are both things I would pay for. The custom ring option is nice, but expand it to allow you to create your own. On my cell I have very distinct songs/tones for different people so I know who it is right away. I'm sure this has been brought up in the past sometime.

My Panasonic cordless phone system already does this on it's own. You can't add your own tones but it has a selection of built in ring tones.
#12095 by tommies
Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:21 am
Mine has talking cid, on top of group ring tone. So I know right away if it's a number not on my address book, or on the 2nd ring I heard the name of caller announced.
#12116 by quebert
Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:48 am
scottlindner wrote:
quebert wrote:The 2nd thing, this might not even be possible or easy to implement if it is. But, have some software on the PC where you could have a photo come up on your monitor when a person calls for the caller ID. Pretty much standard on every cell phone. If I could look up and see a picture on my 24" LCD of who it was would be sweet.

There is already software that does that if you have a voice modem. Some people here have connected modems to a split off their Ooma for that reason. However, a while ago I inquired about an SDK for this reason and they said they are working on it. So hopefully once the SDK comes out the community will be able to help make fun things like this.

Cheers,
Scott

Really?? I'm going to have to look into that! I'm sure I have an old modem somewhere around here, and if now I can get one off newegg for real cheap. I'm off to track down this software and a modem.