Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#12067 by quebert
Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:59 pm
I HATE T-MOBILE! I got Ooma because T-Mobile is crap out here, but any ways. Setup was easy, for whatever reason I couldn't get the last step of the activation to work with Firefox it kept giving me an unable to register error. I tried 4 or so times over 20 minutes and decided to call support. I'm not dyslectic, but apparently I was when I dialed 888-771-xxxx not once, but TWICE! Oddly enough it's the number to a psychic hotline, which asked for my credit card. I was a bit mad at this point, I had never heard a bad thing about Ooma so I had no reason to think anything poorly. But I was thinking "GREAT they're gone!" I figured out my mistake, called the right number. They were gone already. On a whim I tried IE and it worked beautifully. I've used it for the past 3 hours and every call I've made sounded great, and on the other end the people said I sounded clear and loud. The speaker on the hub is nice and loud without any distortion.

My initial impression was the box looked nice, and had weight to it. The Hub is much smaller that I had imagined, but feels very solid, which is a great thing. I picked it up on Newegg for $230 shipped! Even at full price it's a steal, but at $212 + tax + shipping it's even a better deal (wow) I'm using the Verizon V300AM cordless phone with it. I don't know how this phone matches up to other DECT handsets. But every call I've made sounds really good, and I definitely see myself paying for Premier once the trial is up. Any non members who don't have Ooma who are browsing and reading this. Run, don't walk and buy it now. Best Buy has it on sale, as does Newegg. I'm overly impressed so far, I know it's my first day. But the first impression is the most important IMHO. And I'm not typically impressed with something unless it stands out. Ooma has won me over, and unless something drastic happens to the quality of their service, I'll be telling people I know to pick this sucker up.
#12087 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:25 am
quebert wrote:I don't know how this phone matches up to other DECT handsets. But every call I've made sounds really good, and I definitely see myself paying for Premier once the trial is up. Any non members who don't have Ooma who are browsing and reading this.

My voice quality improved with Ooma. Most people say that isn't possible, but I have a theory why. I believe my landline has a very long copper run until it gets converted into digital. Now my run is 3ft from phone base to Ooma Hub. I am saying this because now that our VQ improved, I believe our handsets are mangling our voices a bit. It still sounds better, but the improvement allowed us to hear that our phones are the limitations. We intend to pick up a 2 line DECT 6.0 phone soon to get a few more handsets in the house, plus 2 lines on the handset. Hopefully we pick a phone that has better quality than what we have today.

Welcome to Ooma! You won't regret the decision. The only hard decisions you have left to make are Basic or Premier, Telo or keep your current equipment.

Cheers,
Scott
#12134 by quebert
Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:19 pm
scottlindner wrote:
quebert wrote:I don't know how this phone matches up to other DECT handsets. But every call I've made sounds really good, and I definitely see myself paying for Premier once the trial is up. Any non members who don't have Ooma who are browsing and reading this.

My voice quality improved with Ooma. Most people say that isn't possible, but I have a theory why. I believe my landline has a very long copper run until it gets converted into digital. Now my run is 3ft from phone base to Ooma Hub. I am saying this because now that our VQ improved, I believe our handsets are mangling our voices a bit. It still sounds better, but the improvement allowed us to hear that our phones are the limitations. We intend to pick up a 2 line DECT 6.0 phone soon to get a few more handsets in the house, plus 2 lines on the handset. Hopefully we pick a phone that has better quality than what we have today.
Welcome to Ooma! You won't regret the decision. The only hard decisions you have left to make are Basic or Premier, Telo or keep your current equipment.

Cheers,
Scott

I'm not going to lie, I think my call quality dropped maybe a hair, but it's still very good sounding. And the slight slight static could very well be the phones I'm using. My QOS looks fantastic, 98% quality. The calls still sound better than most other phones I've used. As for the hard decision about Telo or regular, it really wasn't. I mean I really wanted Telo but it's not out yet. So that made the choice real simple lol. I couldn't wait so I jumped on this. Now that I've invested $212 in the Hub/Scout & $99 on the Verizon DECT phones. I don't think I'll be rushing to get the Telo when it comes out, unless it's really fantastic. Premier is almost a gimmie. But as with any new gadget I buy, I give myself a solid week with it before I jump into any deluxe plans or anything.

Also I called support this morning to get a my outgoing caller ID name changed, got a person in a minute and in no time he had helped me. hopefully by 2 weeks that will kick in. I think that will be my mark for if I sign up for Premier, he said 10-14 days. If it's been changed by then I'll sign up for sure.
#12189 by bw1
Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:05 pm
scottlindner wrote:

Cheers,
Scott

My quality also improved after switching. My landline was just not very clear and I used to have to keep the cordless phone volume turned all the way up and still have to ask callers to repeat themselves. When I switched, it was so much better that I have to turn the volume down a couple of notches or it's too loud. Also, I get an echo if I have the volume up too high.

Like I said, my landline wasn't very clear and I tested it at the demarcation box. I know that I was a long way from the switching center when I checked into it and I couldn't get DSL here until the last year or two.

I also had some strange things happen where 911 was called twice from my house and the police showed up (once at 3:30 in the morning!) saying they got a call. Needless to say, I didn't make the call. I also had several 411 calls on my bill and I've never made any 411 calls at least not in a number of years when they used to include 4 per month.

AT&T would always claim that it was something on my end. There's an alarm system installed in the house that was installed by a previous homeowner, that I've never activated/used. I would think that would be connected to a separate phone line. I did have a technician come in and disconnect it when he was out to fix the line to my house that was cut. But that didn't help, since I had a couple more 411 calls on my bill afterward.

I haven't had any of those problems since I ported.
#12191 by southsound
Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:41 pm
bw1 wrote:
[with the landline] I also had some strange things happen where 911 was called twice from my house and the police showed up (once at 3:30 in the morning!) saying they got a call. Needless to say, I didn't make the call. I also had several 411 calls on my bill and I've never made any 411 calls at least not in a number of years when they used to include 4 per month.

That brings back memories from about 8 years ago. I live on a heavily treed island in the South Puget Sound. Our phone service was not great then and it is only since January this year we have had DSL available. Cable still avoids the island.

It was a night when we were having a lot of wind in the area. My wife was on the phone and the line went dead for a second and the call was lost. She called her friend back and continued the conversation. Then, about 15 minutes later, we saw lights at the bend in our 400' driveway. I sensed it was probably not a good thing, although we do have a locked gate at the road. I grabbed my short-barreled 12-guage shotgun in my left hand and started to open the front door to investigate - and to my surprise, there was a county deputy sheriff right outside. When he said, "Would you please put the gun down!" I was more than happy to oblige with a "Yes, Sir!" (In many communities he would have shot first, then asked - and rightfully so IMHO).

I invited him in and we talked a bit. It seems that he was investigating a 911 hangup. When the phone line disconnected from my wife's call, it sent a call to 911 - and our Sheriff's Office always responds to 911 hangups. Strange event, good ending. Thanks for bringing back the memory!
#12193 by bw1
Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:47 pm
southsound wrote:
bw1 wrote:
[with the landline] I also had some strange things happen where 911 was called twice from my house and the police showed up (once at 3:30 in the morning!) saying they got a call. Needless to say, I didn't make the call. I also had several 411 calls on my bill and I've never made any 411 calls at least not in a number of years when they used to include 4 per month.

That brings back memories from about 8 years ago. I live on a heavily treed island in the South Puget Sound. Our phone service was not great then and it is only since January this year we have had DSL available. Cable still avoids the island.

It was a night when we were having a lot of wind in the area. My wife was on the phone and the line went dead for a second and the call was lost. She called her friend back and continued the conversation. Then, about 15 minutes later, we saw lights at the bend in our 400' driveway. I sensed it was probably not a good thing, although we do have a locked gate at the road. I grabbed my short-barreled 12-guage shotgun in my left hand and started to open the front door to investigate - and to my surprise, there was a county deputy sheriff right outside. When he said, "Would you please put the gun down!" I was more than happy to oblige with a "Yes, Sir!" (In many communities he would have shot first, then asked - and rightfully so IMHO).

I invited him in and we talked a bit. It seems that he was investigating a 911 hangup. When the phone line disconnected from my wife's call, it sent a call to 911 - and our Sheriff's Office always responds to 911 hangups. Strange event, good ending. Thanks for bringing back the memory!

Nice story!

Good that you highlighted that my 911 call happened with the landline (weird that that can happen at all).

No problems with ooma.
#12217 by oomg
Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:48 am
quebert wrote:I HATE T-MOBILE! I got Ooma because T-Mobile is crap out here, but any ways. Setup was easy, for whatever reason I couldn't get the last step of the activation to work with Firefox it kept giving me an unable to register error. I tried 4 or so times over 20 minutes and decided to call support. I'm not dyslectic, but apparently I was when I dialed 888-771-xxxx not once, but TWICE! Oddly enough it's the number to a psychic hotline, which asked for my credit card.

I had much better luck with T-Mobile @home service. Quick and easy set up. Voice quality is excellent (as is the ooma service). I went with T-Mobile initially to secure two business lines (AT&T) that had been forwarded to my home office. Switched a third business line to my T-Mobile cell phone. It was my success with T-Mobile that led me to search for another alternative for my home service (since you can have only two @home lines), and of course, here I am.

I am not angry with T-Mobile at all. My monthly bill is still less than what it was costing me for the forwarded lines, and that includes cell phone service and two unlimited VOIP lines. I has been working very well. However, for most people, T-Mobile @home service has a major drawback; the user must also subscribe to a $40/month cell service plan. So, unless the potential user is willing to commit to T-Mobile cell service, it is not even an option.

Having said all that, the ooma service is far superior in terms of available features, etc. And it is less expensive for VOIP lines, irrespective of whether one were to choose a single line or two lines when total cost is calculated over a two year period (T-Mobile @home is $10/month per line with about $50 worth of equipment required). So, sometime in the future, I will be switching these two lines to ooma, even if I need to buy another ooma system.

Oh yeah... one other thing. I'm sure the psychic hotline knew you wanted to talk to T-Mobile CS and simply patched you through. Actually, being psychics, I am a bit surprised that they not only failed to anticipate the purpose of your call, but also failed to anticipate the solution. What's this world coming to?