Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#19183 by JCtheWizard
Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:37 am
I wonder what will happen when an Ooma user, becomes involved or causes an automobile accident where others are injured, and their defense attorney sues Ooma for creating an illegal protocol (pressing 1), that many documented users complained about and asked to be removed due to its being a safety hazard and illegal in many states?

That negligence could breach Ooma’s insurance coverage.

What a risk Ooma is taking!
#19184 by scottlindner
Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:41 am
JCtheWizard wrote:I wonder what will happen when an Ooma user, becomes involved or causes an automobile accident where others are injured, and their defense attorney sues Ooma for creating an illegal protocol (pressing 1), that many documented users complained about and asked to be removed due to its being a safety hazard and illegal in many states?

That negligence could breach Ooma’s insurance coverage.

What a risk Ooma is taking!


This is just a bit out of line. All drivers are responsible for adhering to the laws. That is why you are licensed. You are bound by those laws that grant you that license. If you have equipment that does not allow you to drive in compliance with the laws you are licensed to adhere to, you cannot use them per your acceptance of the license.

It is true there are laws that require the use of specific hands free equipment while driving, but those laws do not covey your responsibility as the driver to every product that you can think of to use while driving. If they did, you'd find PINs for accessing voicemail illegal, but you don't see that in the laws because those laws are designed to govern you as the licensed.

What I find alarming is that your sense of entitlement is so strong that you do not understand the implications of your drivers license. In my mind, you should not have your license because you do not comprehend what it means to have it.

Scott
#19192 by niknak
Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:01 am
...all drivers are responsible for adhering to the laws...


EXACTLY, you don't need to answer the phone while driving
#19195 by Groundhound
Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:09 am
JCtheWizard wrote:I wonder what will happen when an Ooma user, becomes involved or causes an automobile accident where others are injured, and their defense attorney sues Ooma for creating an illegal protocol (pressing 1), that many documented users complained about and asked to be removed due to its being a safety hazard and illegal in many states?

That negligence could breach Ooma’s insurance coverage.

What a risk Ooma is taking!

I'll see your silly argument and raise you one: Ooma could argue that they did not want calls from their network forwarded to cell phones to be taken while the user is driving, so they instituted the press 1 feature so that the user would know to just hang up and let VM handle it if they were not in a safe environment to press 1.
#19196 by scottlindner
Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:11 am
Groundhound wrote:
JCtheWizard wrote:I wonder what will happen when an Ooma user, becomes involved or causes an automobile accident where others are injured, and their defense attorney sues Ooma for creating an illegal protocol (pressing 1), that many documented users complained about and asked to be removed due to its being a safety hazard and illegal in many states?

That negligence could breach Ooma’s insurance coverage.

What a risk Ooma is taking!

I'll see your silly argument and raise you one: Ooma could argue that they did not want calls from their network forwarded to cell phones to be taken while the user is driving, so they instituted the press 1 feature so that the user would know to just hang up and let VM handle it if they were not in a safe environment to press 1.


Exactly. Because naturally the licensed driver would know they are required to use the hands free set and not fiddle with the cell phone so there is no way they could Press 1.

Scott
#19198 by southsound
Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:16 am
I'm not sure what the big deal is. Even with pressing the one I feel I'm still a better driver than the person in the next lane reading the morning paper laying across their steering wheel or the teen driver behind me texting their BFF or the person on my left who just dropped their cigarette and is looking for it on the floor of the car while driving 70 MPH.
#19199 by niknak
Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:18 am
southsound wrote:I'm not sure what the big deal is. Even with pressing the one I feel I'm still a better driver than the person in the next lane reading the morning paper laying across their steering wheel or the teen driver behind me texting their BFF or the person on my left who just dropped their cigarette and is looking for it on the floor of the car while driving 70 MPH.


...or the woman applying makup while looking in the rearview mirrow
#19200 by niknak
Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:22 am
maybe ooma should pay the fines for all those who receive summonses for failure to use handsfree device while driving...hey let's combine that with the international calling credit...ooma could just put money in everyone's account every six months to be used for whatever
#19201 by scottlindner
Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:27 am
In general I do not like the pervasive "I don't like it so I'm going to sue" response that is increasingly common in the US these days. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

If I were Ooma I'd dump this user based on the threat of a lawsuit. A family member that's a surgeon did something similar when the patient *joked* about suing prior to the surgery. He canceled the surgery based on the mere threat of a lawsuit. The patient was upset and said he was just joking, my family member didn't care, it isn't a joke.

Scott
#19207 by southsound
Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 am
niknak wrote:maybe ooma should pay the fines for all those who receive summonses for failure to use handsfree device while driving...hey let's combine that with the international calling credit...ooma could just put money in everyone's account every six months to be used for whatever

I can see the headlines now: VOIP Company Single-Handedly Fixes Sagging Economy! :razz:

<<And no, this is not meant to be a political statement.>>

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests