Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#11401 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:12 am
It would be nice to go through our call log and enter in more descriptive caller ID information than what is provided from the caller. Then when the call comes in, the CID sent to the phone will be replaced with what we have in our addressbook rather than what comes from the phone company.

For example. Last night we got a call from my wife's employer. All it said was the company's name but there are tons of people there. It would be nice for us to replace the company name with the individual's phone number so we know who is actually calling us.

This may have been requested already. I recall some caller ID requests and some call log/addressbook requests. I'm not sure if any of those were stated like this though.

Since I'm at it. It would be nice if our addressbook of names and numbers could be imported/exported as Excel files like we can do with the call log. That would make it a lot easier since it is a reasonably portable format.

Cheers,
Scott
#11422 by ggilman
Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:33 am
I agree with the address book name replacement. I work at a government facility and one of the phone #s I call to home from comes up with some guy's name. Prior to converting to ooma, my other phone service said "US Government", which was at least understandable. Now it says (changing name to protect the innocent, but you get the idea) "Bob Smith". I have no clue who Bob Smith is. I can only assume he asked for a phone install 30 years ago or works for the group that manages our phones. I've been there 19 years and never met the guy.

Anyway, it's not a huge thing but it would be nice to have.
#11426 by ggilman
Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:50 am
Well, when you are the government, it's not quite so scary.

By the way, Wayne, that is your real name, right? And can I get your home address? Some friends of mine want a little 'chat' with you....

;)
#11427 by skellener
Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:14 pm
scottlindner wrote:... the CID sent to the phone will be replaced with what we have in our addressbook rather than what comes from the phone company.
This has been in the works for some time if you look through the forum. We are all anxiously awaiting the implementation.
#11428 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:19 pm
skellener wrote:
scottlindner wrote:... the CID sent to the phone will be replaced with what we have in our addressbook rather than what comes from the phone company.
This has been in the works for some time if you look through the forum. We are all anxiously awaiting the implementation.

I didn't know that. Awesome!

Cheers,
Scott
#11433 by southsound
Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:55 pm
ggilman wrote:Well, when you are the government, it's not quite so scary.

By the way, Wayne, that is your real name, right? And can I get your home address? Some friends of mine want a little 'chat' with you....

;)

How nice! Someone who wants to share friends. Nice dressers too, I'd guess. Dark suits, sun glasses and those nice little earpieces for their iPods or whatever. And since they're from the government, I know they're here to help.

(Don't worry about that income tax thing back in 1980. We all make simple mistakes in math. I mean, just look at our current elected/appointed officials.)
#11484 by ggilman
Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:30 pm
Meh, in actually most of the guys I work with are just software engineers. No trench coat wearing thugs or IRS types. So unless you have some phobia of thick glasses or pocket protectors, you're pretty safe. Well, physically anyway. We could hack your ooma over the net and wipe out your caller Id info.

Just kidding about the whole glasses & pocket protector thing. There's really only one guy in the group that would fit most of the stereotypes and we generally don't let him out of the janitor's closet. Next time your caller id info is missing though, remember this conversation..... MuHaHaHa (poor attempt at evil laugh). ;)