Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#10984 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:19 am
steve800x wrote:Wall empty = does not work if I plug it in
Phone = home's phone wiring
Modem= to my wireless router
Home= empty


I think I know what's going on now. You do not have a landline, right? Just your Vonage and now Ooma? The Wall port is how your Ooma can dial out over your landline for local calls and 911. If you do not have a landline, there is nothing to plug in. It also sounds like you are distributing your VOIP throughout your home using your home's phone wiring. The Phone port on the Ooma Hub is where you plug in the phone, and the Wall is where you get to your landline. Since you are distributing VOIP throughout your home and are not using a landline (an assumption), that's why you are confused that it works when you connect the Phone to the wall, and are leaving the Wall port alone.

Does this make sense?

Read this post when you have a moment. It's about distributing VOIP throughout the home. http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1509

Cheers,
Scott
#10988 by steve800x
Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:37 am
scottlindner wrote:
steve800x wrote:Wall empty = does not work if I plug it in
Phone = home's phone wiring
Modem= to my wireless router
Home= empty


I think I know what's going on now. You do not have a landline, right? Just your Vonage and now Ooma? The Wall port is how your Ooma can dial out over your landline for local calls and 911. If you do not have a landline, there is nothing to plug in. It also sounds like you are distributing your VOIP throughout your home using your home's phone wiring. The Phone port on the Ooma Hub is where you plug in the phone, and the Wall is where you get to your landline. Since you are distributing VOIP throughout your home and are not using a landline (an assumption), that's why you are confused that it works when you connect the Phone to the wall, and are leaving the Wall port alone.

Does this make sense?

Read this post when you have a moment. It's about distributing VOIP throughout the home. http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1509

Cheers,
Scott

I do not have a landline. Just Vonage. I can place calls but I can not recieve any. They got right into voicemail. I am thinking about putting it all back in the box and hooking up my Vonage again. If I could get this to work I would be happy.
#10990 by niknak
Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:57 am
I do not have a landline. Just Vonage. I can place calls but I can not recieve any. They got right into voicemail.


Did you port your Vonage number over to OOMA??
If you just hooked it up I doubt it since it takes a few weeks at best.

If the Vonage box is disconnected, anyone calling you will not get you
You can still call out, however using the temporary OOMA number you got when signing up
#10991 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:15 am
Niknak is on the right track (I believe). Log into the Ooma Lounge online and request an additional number. Have people use that number to call you on your Ooma line until you are confident to port your number from Vonage to Ooma.

I believe the people calling you are being sent to your Vonage VM, not Ooma's VM.

Cheers,
Scott
#10993 by steve800x
Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:24 am
scottlindner wrote:Niknak is on the right track (I believe). Log into the Ooma Lounge online and request an additional number. Have people use that number to call you on your Ooma line until you are confident to port your number from Vonage to Ooma.

I believe the people calling you are being sent to your Vonage VM, not Ooma's VM.

Cheers,
Scott

I did not port my # . I got a new OOMA #. I took the vonage out. So when I called with the new OOMA # it when right into voice mail . It left a message but did not ring my phone.
#10995 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:28 am
steve800x wrote:I did not port my # . I got a new OOMA #. I took the vonage out. So when I called with the new OOMA # it when right into voice mail . It left a message but did not ring my phone.


On the Ooma Hub is the button that looks like an envelope with an arrow pointing down into it lit up red? If so, press it until it goes off.

Also, verify that the lights are turned up to full brightness using the wheel on the right side of the hub. If you can see the Ooma tab in the upper left is light up blue, the you know the lights are turned up to full brightness.

Scott
#10998 by steve800x
Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:09 am
scottlindner wrote:
steve800x wrote:I did not port my # . I got a new OOMA #. I took the vonage out. So when I called with the new OOMA # it when right into voice mail . It left a message but did not ring my phone.


On the Ooma Hub is the button that looks like an envelope with an arrow pointing down into it lit up red? If so, press it until it goes off.

Also, verify that the lights are turned up to full brightness using the wheel on the right side of the hub. If you can see the Ooma tab in the upper left is light up blue, the you know the lights are turned up to full brightness.

Scott

Wow. yes that was the problem. I did not read the book for the do not disturb feature. Do I feel like a dumb A$$.
Thanks for your help.
#10999 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:14 am
steve800x wrote:Wow. yes that was the problem. I did not read the book for the do not disturb feature. Do I feel like a dumb A$$.
Thanks for your help.


That's OK. I did the EXACT same thing. I'm laughing because I even ended the same way you did. Feeling a bit stupid.

Scott
#11000 by steve800x
Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:27 am
scottlindner wrote:
steve800x wrote:Wow. yes that was the problem. I did not read the book for the do not disturb feature. Do I feel like a dumb A$$.
Thanks for your help.


That's OK. I did the EXACT same thing. I'm laughing because I even ended the same way you did. Feeling a bit stupid.

Scott

Last question. With a scout when I plug it in all the lights stay on on the bottom. All 4 of them. Do you need the premium OOMA package for this to work. I thought I could just use it for the answering the message feature. Once again I did not read yet but the lights staying on does not seem right.

Update. I plugged the scout into the wall port on the hub. The blue light came on and works fine. So now I need to run a line from the hub up to my living room to where the scout will be. I just want the scout for anwsering the voicemails without going downstairs where the hub is. These don't beep do they if there is a message waiting.
#11005 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:32 am
steve800x wrote:Update. I plugged the scout into the wall port on the hub. The blue light came on and works fine. So now I need to run a line from the hub up to my living room to where the scout will be. I just want the scout for anwsering the voicemails without going downstairs where the hub is. These don't beep do they if there is a message waiting.


You don't necessarily need to run a separate line. Check your home's phone wiring. If you have all four wires (both lines) wired you can use a little L1 and L2 splitter at both the Hub and Scout and put the Hub and Scout connection over Line 2. Make sense?

Scott

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests