Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#10966 by steve800x
Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:51 pm
I installed the hub today. The blue light came on. I said that was easy. Then I tried using my computer. As soon as the phone rang I lost my connection and would not come back. I put the hub first then my wireless router then a 8 port wired hub. I took it all out and put it back the way it was . Is the a limit to how many things that can be hooked up to my network with OOMA. I use Vonage now and it all works fine with them. I have Vonage at the end of my network. I didn't try that with the OOMA hub as it states to put it after the modem. Would this work ok if I install it like I did the vonage.Thanks for any help.
#10967 by murphy
Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:05 pm
It will work fine with the ooma hub behind the router. If that 8 port hub is really a hub and not a switch, do not connect the ooma to it. Connect the ooma directly to the router. Leave the Home port unused in this configuration.

Side note. If that really is an 8 port hub, the best place for it is in a trash can. It will create a severe network bottleneck.
#10970 by steve800x
Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:57 pm
murphy wrote:It will work fine with the ooma hub behind the router. If that 8 port hub is really a hub and not a switch, do not connect the ooma to it. Connect the ooma directly to the router. Leave the Home port unused in this configuration.

Side note. If that really is an 8 port hub, the best place for it is in a trash can. It will create a severe network bottleneck.

It goes from my Road Runner modem to my wireless router.Then to a linksy 8 port workgroup hub.Off of that hub it then goes to my vonage hub. If I can just replace the vonage one with the ooma one that would be great.
#10971 by steve800x
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:07 pm
scottlindner wrote:It sounds like you are using DSL. Is this correct? If so, then you'll need to put a DSL filter on the phone line before the Ooma's wall port. If this fixes your situation I'll explain why it works later.
I have road runner. Also when I hooked the phone wire up from the wall hook up it would not work.When I plugged it into the phone port it worked. Is this wrong. I'm back feeding my whole house from the hub to my wall jack.
Scott
#10978 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:27 am
steve800x wrote:
murphy wrote:It will work fine with the ooma hub behind the router. If that 8 port hub is really a hub and not a switch, do not connect the ooma to it. Connect the ooma directly to the router. Leave the Home port unused in this configuration.

It goes from my Road Runner modem to my wireless router.Then to a linksy 8 port workgroup hub.Off of that hub it then goes to my vonage hub. If I can just replace the vonage one with the ooma one that would be great.

OK... bad assumption on my part.

First point, the "hub's create bottlenecks" concept is generally not applicable to home users. It takes four computers hammering on each other constantly at full network speed (100Mbps) for the hub bottleneck situation to occur. It won't even factor in with your Internet access, it's only a relevant concern within your network.

You should be able to keep your network architecture as it is, and replace the Vonage hub with the Ooma hub. Your understanding is correct, but somewhere something is happening right.

Your situation is confusing me. It doesn't appear that you did anything wrong. The computer that lost Internet, was it connected through the wireless or directly to the hub?

Can you try a test with just your Ooma and the computer that lost Internet? As far as I understand your situation, that's what you already did but with a hub between the Ooma's computer port and the computer that lost Internet.

Cheers,
Scott
#10981 by steve800x
Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:48 am
scottlindner wrote:
steve800x wrote:

OK... bad assumption on my part.

First point, the "hub's create bottlenecks" concept is generally not applicable to home users. It takes four computers hammering on each other constantly at full network speed (100Mbps) for the hub bottleneck situation to occur. It won't even factor in with your Internet access, it's only a relevant concern within your network.

You should be able to keep your network architecture as it is, and replace the Vonage hub with the Ooma hub. Your understanding is correct, but somewhere something is happening right.

Your situation is confusing me. It doesn't appear that you did anything wrong. The computer that lost Internet, was it connected through the wireless or directly to the hub?

Can you try a test with just your Ooma and the computer that lost Internet? As far as I understand your situation, that's what you already did but with a hub between the Ooma's computer port and the computer that lost Internet.

Cheers,
Scott

OK Here is what I did. I put the OOMA hub after my wireless router off of one of the 4 ports. I used my 8 port hub off the wireless router with another port.
All seems to be working.If I plug off the OOMA hub into where it says 'WALL' it does not work. If you plug into 'PHONE' then into the wall it works. I can call on it but call waiting does not work. It goes right into voice mail. Is call waiting something you need to turn on?
Update .Any call coming in goes right into voicemail. Something is wrong.
#10982 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:02 am
steve800x wrote:OK Here is what I did. I put the OOMA hub after my wireless router off of one of the 4 ports. I used my 8 port hub off the wireless router with another port.
All seems to be working.If I plug off the OOMA hub into where it says 'WALL' it does not work. If you plug into 'PHONE' then into the wall it works. I can call on it but call waiting does not work. It goes right into voice mail. Is call waiting something you need to turn on?

I need a few more specifics. There are four plugs in the back of the Ooma Hub and they each have a purpose. It sounds like you have it wired like this, can you verify?
Wall (RJ11) -> home's phone wiring
Phone (RJ11) -> to your phone
Modem (RJ45) -> to your wireless router
Home (RJ45) -> empty

I don't know about call waiting. You'll have to wait for someone else to address that.

Cheers,
Scott
#10983 by steve800x
Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:08 am
scottlindner wrote:
steve800x wrote:OK Here is what I did. I put the OOMA hub after my wireless router off of one of the 4 ports. I used my 8 port hub off the wireless router with another port.

I need a few more specifics. There are four plugs in the back of the Ooma Hub and they each have a purpose. It sounds like you have it wired like this, can you verify?
Wall (RJ11) -> home's phone wiring
Phone (RJ11) -> to your phone
Modem (RJ45) -> to your wireless router
Home (RJ45) -> empty

I don't know about call waiting. You'll have to wait for someone else to address that.

Cheers,
Scott

Wall empty = does not work if I plug it in
Phone = home's phone wiring
Modem= to my wireless router
Home= empty