Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#10930 by bw1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:07 am
scottlindner wrote:I just recently determined the firmware I was using has problems with QoS. I switched to different firmware and the QoS works perfectly.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott,

Did you switch to Tomato?

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
#10933 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:28 am
Yes. I tried DD-WRT v24 sp1 and v24 sp2 and both had serious problems with QoS. It is something that is being reported more commonly on the DD-WRT forums.

I tried Tomato this morning. The user interface is extremely simple but do we really care? The QoS settings are a bit complicated at first, but once you understand what it's doing it is very easy to set up, and it works perfectly. Tomato appears to be so lean and fast that it does not affect my benchmarks with the Tomato router in place, or completely removed from my network.

I haven't made a phone call yet. I hope to later today and do some serious loading on the Internet. I have had two problems in the past with DD-WRT for QoS when doing heavy internet traffic while making a call with Ooma. I know how to repeat these tests to ensure Tomato is doing its job right. I will post back after doing that test later today.

Here are my Tomato QoS settings. Note I changed port 80 and 443 to Medium from the default of High. I feel phone calls are higher priority than web browsing.

Cheers,
Scott
#10935 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:37 am
BTW. All credit goes to WayneDSR for bringing Tomato to us. I plan to keep testing it until I'm sure it is the perfect solution for Ooma users, but my first tests are giving it high marks.

Cheers,
Scott
#10936 by bw1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:45 am
Thanks for the info. I'm considering getting a new router in the future. I'd like to get a gigabit router that supports 802.11n wireless. But I'm looking at the Linksys WRT54GL since that is so well recommended with many good reviews.

Currently, I have the my ooma hub in front of my router and get good results. My current router doesn't support QOS at all.
#10937 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:47 am
I am using the WRT54GL.

If you want gigabit, wireless N, I'd go with the WRT610N. I almost bought that as my router, but I couldn't justify the expense when I thought long and hard about what I'm really using it for.

Scott
#10938 by bw1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:03 am
I saw in another thread that you looked into that one and from what I've seen the reviews aren't as good. Just did a quick look on Amazon and the most recent review doesn't look good for VoIP in particular:

As for the VoIP device I have it worked with my WRT54G flawless. Once I replaced my old router with the WRT610N I couldnt' receive any calls and had issues with voice quality and dropped calls. Also the Linksys support forum has several entries on VoIP issues and the workaround suggestion is to open ports in your firewall or put the device in the DMZ. This is not an ideal solution, especially as it's working with an older version of the router. The WRT610N seems to block incoming VoIP transactions and hence messed up the communication.
#10939 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:08 am
bw1 wrote:I saw in another thread that you looked into that one and from what I've seen the reviews aren't as good. Just did a quick look on Amazon and the most recent review doesn't look good for VoIP in particular:

As for the VoIP device I have it worked with my WRT54G flawless. Once I replaced my old router with the WRT610N I couldnt' receive any calls and had issues with voice quality and dropped calls. Also the Linksys support forum has several entries on VoIP issues and the workaround suggestion is to open ports in your firewall or put the device in the DMZ. This is not an ideal solution, especially as it's working with an older version of the router. The WRT610N seems to block incoming VoIP transactions and hence messed up the communication.

I have read this as well. I suspect the Linksys firmware is the issue. The reason I looked at the WRT610N is because it has the fastest Broadcom processor of any router on the market, includes 16MB of Flash, 64MB of RAM, a gigabit WAN NIC, and a gigabit LAN switch. It is a great candidate for replacement open source firmware. That's why I favored it.

As I thought more about it, my DSL is 8Mbps down, 768kbps upstream. I don't need all of that and it will be several years before residential ISP would justify anything more for hardware. I shut off the wireless radios to conserve power and reduce heat. I'm just using it as a router and that's it. I'm using another router as a wireless access point that I plug in the few times that I need it. I mostly use it for guests that bring laptops so I just throw it on the kitchen table and plug it in to ensure good wireless.

Scott
#10953 by StevenJohn
Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:48 am
scottlindner wrote:Yes. I tried DD-WRT v24 sp1 and v24 sp2 and both had serious problems with QoS. It is something that is being reported more commonly on the DD-WRT forums.

I tried Tomato this morning. The user interface is extremely simple but do we really care? The QoS settings are a bit complicated at first, but once you understand what it's doing it is very easy to set up, and it works perfectly. Tomato appears to be so lean and fast that it does not affect my benchmarks with the Tomato router in place, or completely removed from my network.

Did you have any trouble changing from DD-WRT to Tomato? I would like to try Tomato, but I don't want a brick. Is there any special things that have to be done besides the normal 30-30-30 reset and then update?

SJ
#10954 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:58 am
StevenJohn wrote:Did you have any trouble changing from DD-WRT to Tomato? I would like to try Tomato, but I don't want a brick. Is there any special things that have to be done besides the normal 30-30-30 reset and then update?

I had no trouble at all. I just did the upgrade straight from the DD-WRT web interface. I didn't even bother with the 30-30-30. I figured I didn't need to reset the NVRAM since it is completely different firmware. Maybe I should do a 30-30-30 just to be safe. Good thinking.

One thing I did do is saved off the config file for DD-WRT before updating. That way I could recover quickly.

I bricked my router when I first tried to put DD-WRT on it. If you are concerned about this, the best tip I have to offer is to download your router manufacturer's firmware from their website and download the DrayTek Router Tools. It is very easy to unbrick that way. For whatever reason the TFTP interface will only accept firmware that has the manufacturer's name on it. DrayTek makes it really easy to do. You load the file, give it the IP to your router, plug in the router, then hit the start button on DrayTek and you're unbricked.

Scott
#10960 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:30 am
A little status update. I did some serious load testing while the wife was talking to the mother in law. I was running Speedtest.net back to back, hitting web sites constantly, and running a work application that had destroyed my Ooma conversation in the past. Not even the slightest hiccup. The wife said, "Just as good as a normal phone". That's what I like to hear because she's very picky and she's on the look out for problems. Today, Tomato became Ooma's friend. :-)

Scott