Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#10947 by arkumar15
Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:02 am
Hi,
I have a similar problem with caller ID. It doesn't show name of the caller. All it displays as "cell phone, XX (XX= VA, NJ, TX etc..) and the number" below it. Outbound caller ID displays my number only and sometimes my city name and doesn't show the number even. I called the tech support and opened a ticket. I am waiting for it to be resolved.
#11006 by bw1
Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:33 am
I think that incoming caller id from a cell phone that shows "Cell Phone" or "City ST" and the phone number is normal and depends on the carrier. I know one of my brothers has T-Mobile and his name shows up but everyone else shows "City ST".

I read somewhere that Verizon will not put names on Caller ID as a way to fight telemarketers. Not sure how that would help.
#11015 by butch588
Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:54 am
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not sure I was entirely clear about my test scenario, so I thought I would add that to the discussion. I ported a traditional landline to Ooma. Before the port, my cell phone (and most other cell phones that would call the landline) would be shown in CID with name and number. After the port, my cell phone gets labeled "CELL PHONE XX" - where XX is the state I live in. My landline carrier was AT&T and my cell service is with them also.

It sounds like the Ooma database may not include cell phone CID data and just uses a generic one with state based on the area code - that would be simple enough to implement. If that is the case and it is cost prohibitive for Ooma to buy the cell phone CID data, then I would like to sse a features others have been calling for elsewhere in the forums. The ability to create an address book that we could use to map names to phone numbers and have that sent as the CID info for the incoming call.
#11018 by southsound
Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:21 pm
Good news is coming. Not sure when it will happen, but from another post where the OP wanted to modify incorrect data in the ooma database:

Dennis P wrote:Only the provider who actually owns that number will be able to push changes. The best we can do it provide you an option to override the caller-name info we get when we look it up. This will be part of the address book function which we are working on now.
#11042 by bw1
Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:09 am
butch588 wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not sure I was entirely clear about my test scenario, so I thought I would add that to the discussion. I ported a traditional landline to Ooma. Before the port, my cell phone (and most other cell phones that would call the landline) would be shown in CID with name and number. After the port, my cell phone gets labeled "CELL PHONE XX" - where XX is the state I live in. My landline carrier was AT&T and my cell service is with them also.

It sounds like the Ooma database may not include cell phone CID data and just uses a generic one with state based on the area code - that would be simple enough to implement. If that is the case and it is cost prohibitive for Ooma to buy the cell phone CID data, then I would like to sse a features others have been calling for elsewhere in the forums. The ability to create an address book that we could use to map names to phone numbers and have that sent as the CID info for the incoming call.

AT&T probably maintains their own caller id database and they probably update that database with their own cell customers caller id info but probably do not supply that caller id info to third party databases that ooma subscribes to.

This of course is speculation on my part.

As southsound pointed out, the address book which is supposed to come out sometime this summer should address this.