Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#10909 by butch588
Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:06 pm
I have noticed that when cell phones call my ooma line, call id shows up as "Cell Phone xx" where xx is the state (e.g., GA, TX, NY, etc.). With my old service, I would get the name that is normally published for that cell phone.

Anyone else had this issue or know if Ooma plans to address this? I'm new to the forums and so far haven't seen anything about this issue.
#10910 by sokha
Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:22 am
one more vote from me.

i have similar problem with landline caller ID as well.
i don't get the name of the caller from landline.
i got the number on one line and number with "User" on the second LED line on my CID.

example,
602-555-1234
6025551234 User

never see this before when i have landline and CID.
and these are my family and friends which i asked to call me to test Ooma CID.
#10917 by pl1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:00 am
butch588 wrote:I have noticed that when cell phones call my ooma line, call id shows up as "Cell Phone xx" where xx is the state (e.g., GA, TX, NY, etc.). With my old service, I would get the name that is normally published for that cell phone.

Anyone else had this issue or know if Ooma plans to address this? I'm new to the forums and so far haven't seen anything about this issue.
Wow, I never even knew this existed. I can't remember how long it is I've had a cell phone, and with at least three different carriers I've ONLY seen the caller's number. Same on my Verizon land line. Once I add their name in to my cell phone or my home phone's directory, I get their CID name. I had no idea some companies offer this. I'm with T-Mobile in Mass. and I was previously with ATT>Cingular>ATT and I'd never seen a CID name once. News to me!
#10918 by sokha
Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:04 am
for outgoing, currently, it shows my number but no name.
i figured, my number just ported 3 days ago.
i would give Ooma 30 days more.
probably it needs time to configure the network.
#10921 by pl1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:17 am
sokha wrote:for outgoing, currently, it shows my number but no name.
i figured, my number just ported 3 days ago.
i would give Ooma 30 days more.
probably it needs time to configure the network.
It is my understanding that VOIP companies rely on the ILEC CID or purchase it from some database. This is another reason it helps immensley if you port your number from an ILEC's land line. In most cases, the database will stay intact and your CID name outgoing should work normally. This should have no bearing on incoming calls. But, I have no idea if this is exatly true with Ooma, just based on the other VOIP services I've had. If I brought my ILEC landline, my CID worked perfectly. If I relied on the VOIP number, it was hit and miss.
#10927 by bw1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:50 am
bryanlyle wrote:My problem is the opposite. My CID information doesn't show up for anybody I call. Very frustrating! Hopefully we'll be able to set incoming CID soon!

If it doesn't show up when you call, wouldn't that be outgoing caller id?
#10928 by pl1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:02 am
bw1 wrote:
bryanlyle wrote:My problem is the opposite. My CID information doesn't show up for anybody I call. Very frustrating! Hopefully we'll be able to set incoming CID soon!

If it doesn't show up when you call, wouldn't that be outgoing caller id?
Doesn't the number have to be in a database that other companies use though? I'm honestly not sure exactly how it works. I keep hearing that a database is required.

edit: Sometimes an out of state CID does not work, yet it works in the caller's state.
#10934 by bw1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:33 am
I'm not exactly sure how it works either.

Here is some info from Wikipedia:

Caller ID is made up of two separate pieces of information: the calling number and the billing (or subscriber) name where available. When an originating phone switch sends out a phone number as caller ID, the telephone company receiving the call is responsible for looking up the name of the subscriber in a database. It is for this reason that mobile phone callers appear as WIRELESS CALLER, or the location where the phone number is registered (these vary based on which company owns the block of numbers, not the provider to which a number may have been ported). Additionally, nothing ensures that the number sent by a switch is the actual number where the call originated; telephone switch initiating the call may send any digit string desired as caller ID. As such, the telephone switch and, therefore, the operating entity must also be trusted to provide secure authentication.

The displayed caller ID also depends on the equipment originating the call.

If the call originates on a POTS line (a standard loop start line) caller ID is provided by the service provider's local switch. Since the network does not connect the caller to the callee until the phone is answered generally the caller ID signal cannot be altered by the caller. Most service providers however, allow the caller to block caller ID presentation through the vertical service code *67.

I know that ooma uses a certain company to supply their caller id database that was mentioned on the forum. I don't remember the name of the company.
#10941 by pl1
Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:08 am
bw1 wrote:I know that ooma uses a certain company to supply their caller id database that was mentioned on the forum. I don't remember the name of the company.
Good info. Isn't amazing that your quote does not really specify how it works? What I mean is, there appears to be many variables. But this quote confirms what I said WRT WIRELESS CALLERs. I never knew otherwise. I never knew that some cell phones had a CID name. I wonder if phones bundled with an ILEC give and get CID info.