Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#10837 by StevenJohn
Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:07 pm
I started the porting process on May 27 from AT&T and it completed today. Just eight days. My number was out of service for about seven hours today. Now that it is done I am happy so far. Everything seems to be working as I expected. I added the Premier service so I could get the second line and the blacklist features and get the free port. I use the multi-ring to my cell phone. I have free incoming calls on U.S. Cellular.

SJ
#10858 by bw1
Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:39 am
That's great! Only 8 days (6 business days) must be a new record!

Welcome to no more phone bills!!
#10868 by StevenJohn
Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:15 am
Thanks, bw1, for the welcome, and thanks to everyone on the forum for all the help. Most of my questions have already been asked and answered by others.

ooma kept me up to date with emails during the port process. In my last post I meant to say I got Premier for the second number, not the second line, since that is included in the free service.

It's been fun giving ooma a try. No, it does not sound as good as my AT&T line, and the AT&T service is extremely reliable. But ooma's sound quality is better than my cell phone. I just love the features of the service. I tried the service for three weeks before I decided to port my number.

I am still waiting for the caller id to be finished. ooma customer service said it would be about seven days.

SJ
#10869 by southsound
Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:32 am
SJ,

Great news that the port went off without problems. We seem to be seeing more and more ports going well since ooma dedicated some personnel to the task. You mentioned that the quality wasn't quite as good as your landline. Could you elaborate a little? There may be things we could suggest to help you bring the quality up a little. My own service is as good as my landline and many others here are having the same experience after a little tweaking.

Welcome to the ooma family and the forums! Even though things are going well, don't be a stranger. It is amazing the wealth of information that can be had right here from contributor/users. Your experiences will help others build confidence or correct issues.
#10894 by daet
Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:32 pm
bw1 wrote:That's great! Only 8 days (6 business days) must be a new record!

Welcome to no more phone bills!!

Our port was also 6 business days.
http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1511

So far, ooma has been terrific. Vonage keeps calling me with offers to lure us back. The last time we told them the only offer we would consider would be if they paid us for phone service, because our current phone service was free for life!

Their last representative also confused ooma with Magicjack.

DG
#10901 by StevenJohn
Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:36 pm
southsound wrote:SJ,

You mentioned that the quality wasn't quite as good as your landline. Could you elaborate a little?

The Bellsouth (now AT&T) service we had for years was excellent but costly. No down time at all in the past several years. No interrupted or disconnected calls in years. The power goes off and it still works. There is virtually zero delay. I am a ham operator and I use two way radio to confirm the delays. It really is hard for a VOIP phone to match. But, did I mention the cost of At&T?

The ooma service sounds about as good. The delay is not usually a problem because most people are used to cell phones today. Sometimes the delay is near a half second or more. There is the occasional echo too. I am open to any help in this department.

In the month that I've been using ooma three calls were disconnected for no apparent reason. Callers have called my number and it did not ring the phones. Callers have called and the voice mail answered but did not play a message nor prompt to leave a message. Little things like this that I expect is ooma growing pains. This is not the norm but the exception. Most of the time it works.

We use Comcast cable. It is supposed to be 6mb down and 1.2mb up. Our setup is modem > router > hub. The router is Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT and uses the QOS settings that have been suggested on this forum. We use the Scout in the living room with a phone connected to it. WE have Panasonic DECT 6 phones off the hub and have one in the living room also. If my wife is on one phone and we get another call, the scout phone will ring and I can answer it. I just love this.

SJ
#10904 by StevenJohn
Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:42 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Ham operator, huh?
KF9MA here.

Wayne

Well I am pleased to make your acquaintance. I hope to catch you on the air sometime. Have you had any RFI issues to the ooma system from your transmissions? I plan on working some of the special event ships this weekend and I will be using my amp for the first time since I installed ooma. I just hope my house phone wiring doesn't put a lot of RF back on the hub.

I also have some phone line grounding questions, but I guess that should be for another topic.

73, de KU4ME
#11070 by Phyllis
Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:35 am
I'm glad to know you had a good experience porting your number to OOma. I have been waiting for OVER THREE MONTHS and still have not gotten the number ported and Ooma can't explain the delay. I called again this morning to check on the status and they tell me they're trying to get it done this week--we'll see.
#11078 by StevenJohn
Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:33 pm
I am sorry you are having trouble. I hope you problem gets resolved soon. I really expected it to take longer for my number to port, but I guess I got luck.

sj